Brewer Fanatic

What Many Brewers Fans May Think, But Dare Not Say (Yet)

Mass Haas
I'm thinking the Brewers will have a Top 10 Pick in 2016, maybe even Top 5. They are truly that bad (in my opinion)

They are not that bad...yet. Trading Lohse and Ramirez would create two giant holes that could really make the team tank to that point though. Not that those two guys are great, but just the fact that their replacements will be awful.

Will be interesting to see if players like Lind, Gomez, and Segura are made available if they are sellers come July.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking the Brewers will have a Top 10 Pick in 2016, maybe even Top 5. They are truly that bad (in my opinion)

They are not that bad...yet.

I think they are. Ramirez is pretty much done. Hitting him cleanup is ridiculous. Braun is no longer something special. Scooter cannot hit LHP. Gomez & Lucroy are the only legit stars, although Lind has potential there.

The biggest thing is that this pitching staff is horrible. Lohse & Garza are past their peak. If Peralta & Fiers don't emerge as front end #1/#2 starters, this team is headed for a Top 5/Top 10 pick

If this group of talent had an incredible manager and they played gritty smart Baseball and worked the count, got on base and moved runners over and played great defense, maybe 81 wins would be in their sights. But this free swinging bunch with a manager who is usually worse than the opponent's manager makes the Brewers one of the worst teams in Baseball

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

2011 was a lot of fun and most people think it was worth it, but making the moves they did made an eventual rebuild inevitable. We've just been delaying this inevitability for a few seasons, and my worry is that the longer it drags out the deeper the rebuild will need to be. That's been my biggest concern for the last few seasons.

This.

It's not about what could've been if we didn't trade away prospects to build the 2011 team. It's that immediately thereafter, we no longer had a World Series caliber team - not even a playoff caliber team really. But regardless we've refused to rebuild, not even in a minor way. Instead we've signed free agents in lieu of draft picks, held on to aging players in lieu of trading them for future prospects, all to hold on to a mildly competitive team. If the goal is to win a World Series, the strategy since 2012 has been horrendous, and now any pieces of value we once had to rebuild are mostly gone or aging to the point of decreasing returns. The Gallardo trade was the first move since 2011 that was the slightest bit encouraging that Doug and Mark are realizing the rebuild must begin.

The rebuild has had to happen for 3+ years now, and the longer we wait, the longer and more painful this process will have to be.

I am not Shea Vucinich

2011 was a lot of fun and most people think it was worth it, but making the moves they did made an eventual rebuild inevitable. We've just been delaying this inevitability for a few seasons, and my worry is that the longer it drags out the deeper the rebuild will need to be. That's been my biggest concern for the last few seasons.

This.

It's not about what could've been if we didn't trade away prospects to build the 2011 team. It's that immediately thereafter, we no longer had a World Series caliber team - not even a playoff caliber team really. But regardless we've refused to rebuild, not even in a minor way. Instead we've signed free agents in lieu of draft picks, held on to aging players in lieu of trading them for future prospects, all to hold on to a mildly competitive team. If the goal is to win a World Series, the strategy since 2012 has been horrendous, and now any pieces of value we once had to rebuild are mostly gone or aging to the point of decreasing returns. The Gallardo trade was the first move since 2011 that was the slightest bit encouraging that Doug and Mark are realizing the rebuild must begin.

The rebuild has had to happen for 3+ years now, and the longer we wait, the longer and more painful this process will have to be.

Mark AND Doug? The fact we haven't had a rebuild is Mark and ALL Mark. He thinks he can put a competitive team out there every year and always says the Brewers aren't a small market. Every off season he blows the same trumpet...saying the Brewers won't rebuild, don't need to rebuild, and will make the moves to try to win. Doug Melvin just does what his boss tell him to do...and his boss is great that he wants to win...but he needs to understand it gets to a point where you have to hold back a little and reload.

This.

Mark AND Doug? The fact we haven't had a rebuild is Mark and ALL Mark. He thinks he can put a competitive team out there every year and always says the Brewers aren't a small market. Every off season he blows the same trumpet...saying the Brewers won't rebuild, don't need to rebuild, and will make the moves to try to win. Doug Melvin just does what his boss tell him to do...and his boss is great that he wants to win...but he needs to understand it gets to a point where you have to hold back a little and reload.

I think it's also on Doug. At some point, he needs to tell Mark that the Brewers need to look to the long term - and be willing to put his job on the line if need be. Now, I think the Brewers can be a successful team and can, with proper preparation, avoid major rebuilding projects, and that they can maximize their market. But at the same time, to do that, the farm system is incredibly important, and the team needs to pay more attention there than it has lately.

This.

I think it's also on Doug. At some point, he needs to tell Mark that the Brewers need to look to the long term - and be willing to put his job on the line if need be. Now, I think the Brewers can be a successful team and can, with proper preparation, avoid major rebuilding projects, and that they can maximize their market. But at the same time, to do that, the farm system is incredibly important, and the team needs to pay more attention there than it has lately.

What do you think the Gallardo trade was or the fact they refused to trade any real prospects last July? Doug Melvin could have traded the farm for a guy like David Price.They haven't touched the farm system for a long long time. There hasn't been much addition outside of drafting, but that is to be expected if you are trying to compete.

It isn't publicized but I think Doug Melvin has told Mark that they can't trade all their prospects etc.

I think they really have done a better job trying to re stock the farms than most give credit for. Nice international signings lately and wouldn't be surprised to see another this summer.

I'm one that doesn't believe a total re-boot is necessary. We hope Nelson and Peralta become the 1-2 farm punch we need and then this off season hopefully we'll sign Zimmerman and have a great 1-3 plus adding in Garza and hopefuls like Fiers and Thornburg, maybe Jungmann. Lots of options to get a good rotation.

Trading Gomez might be necessary though because of his agent and pretty much no possibility of signing him at a reasonable rate. Need Taylor or someone to step up and be that next guy through.

We've talked about the IF. Between Sardinas, Segura, Arcia, Gennett there is enough to go around to fill 3b, SS, 2b. Maybe Lind is the answer at 1B for a couple of years too. And possibly Braun goes there after that.

Lots of ways this team can win and still build from within. Just trading everyone away and hoping those players work out is not a great option for me nor does it seem that way for Mark A and I don't blame him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think they really have done a better job trying to re stock the farms than most give credit for. Nice international signings lately and wouldn't be surprised to see another this summer.

I'm one that doesn't believe a total re-boot is necessary. We hope Nelson and Peralta become the 1-2 farm punch we need and then this off season hopefully we'll sign Zimmerman and have a great 1-3 plus adding in Garza and hopefuls like Fiers and Thornburg, maybe Jungmann. Lots of options to get a good rotation.

Trading Gomez might be necessary though because of his agent and pretty much no possibility of signing him at a reasonable rate. Need Taylor or someone to step up and be that next guy through.

We've talked about the IF. Between Sardinas, Segura, Arcia, Gennett there is enough to go around to fill 3b, SS, 2b. Maybe Lind is the answer at 1B for a couple of years too. And possibly Braun goes there after that.

Lots of ways this team can win and still build from within. Just trading everyone away and hoping those players work out is not a great option for me nor does it seem that way for Mark A and I don't blame him.

I'd have to argree with everything you have said. If we sign Zimmerman we have a solid rotation for the future, we have a solid OF for the future, our middle infield has a lot of potential talent, and I am confident Lucroy will be here past 2017, though it is no for sure thing...that really just leaves the corner infield.

I think this team could compete in 2017 or 2018 quite easily. If Orlando Arcia and Tyrone Taylor are ready next year you have two great trade chips in Gennett/Gomez to auction off. Also can't forget Lohse and Ramirez should both bring back some solid prospects in July too assuming they stay healthy.

I don't think the Brewers are in the serious trouble people make it out to be. They have a lot of cheap controllable players right now through 2020 for most and have a lot of money coming off the books. Add that to our pair of Top 100 prospects nearly MLB ready and that isn't a bleak future at all.

I think this team could compete in 2017 or 2018 quite easily. If Orlando Arcia and Tyrone Taylor are ready next year you have two great trade chips in Gennett/Gomez to auction off. Also can't forget Lohse and Ramirez should both bring back some solid prospects in July too assuming they stay healthy.

Gennett a great trade chip? At best you are getting a AAAA player for Gennett.

Lohse has some value but not enough to bring back a solid prospect at best you are looking at a teams 6-10 ranked prospect and that is the best case scenario. As for Ramirez you are probably only going to get a AAAA player or a high risk player like the K-Rod trade to Baltimore.

The only real asset the Brewers have in terms of a trade are Sardinas, Gomez, Nelson, and Peralta.

Braun really needs to be moved to 1B his body is just to fragile right now to be playing in the OF. I would start with playing Braun at 1B versus lefties this year and then moving Braun permanently to 1B next year otherwise you are looking at only having Braun on the team for about 100 games a year. It just makes more sense to move Braun to 1B sooner rather than later.

Gennett a great trade chip? At best you are getting a AAAA player for Gennett.

Lohse has some value but not enough to bring back a solid prospect at best you are looking at a teams 6-10 ranked prospect and that is the best case scenario. As for Ramirez you are probably only going to get a AAAA player or a high risk player like the K-Rod trade to Baltimore.

The only real asset the Brewers have in terms of a trade are Sardinas, Gomez, Nelson, and Peralta.

Braun really needs to be moved to 1B his body is just to fragile right now to be playing in the OF. I would start with playing Braun at 1B versus lefties this year and then moving Braun permanently to 1B next year otherwise you are looking at only having Braun on the team for about 100 games a year. It just makes more sense to move Braun to 1B sooner rather than later.

I think you a seriously underrating Ramirez and Gennett. If Ramirez is hitting .270 and healthy he can fetch a decent prospect for a team in need of a 3B. Think Brewers back in 2011. He could fetch a 6-10 top prospect.

Gennett is pretty valuable himself. The fact he needs a platoon partner he is still worth a top 10 prospect too. He is more of a wildcard and depends when we trade him. Right now he has a lot of control and is very cheap.

Sure none of them will get a Top 100 prospect(maybe Gennett if the situation is right) but they still will bolster the farm system and you never know what those prospects could turn in to. You could get some very serviceable players out of it.

Why are we forgetting Khris Davis as a Trade Chip? There's got to be an AL team out there who likes his DH/LF for that bat he provides. I mentioned in the Segura rumors. Let's say the Padres want him and trade away Renfroe? Or even Gettys? The Brewers, depending on who they get have the OF for the future to replace a Davis. Like the guy at the plate, but like with today's game, he's a liability in the field. He's very cheap which adds to his trade value. Call up Matt Clark to replace him for the near future and wait for the future of the Brewers OF to graduate in to the Majors. Whether it be whom the Padres traded to Milw, Coulter, or one of the soft hitting trio that provides plus defense in Taylor, Reed, or Wren.

Plus, in all this doom and gloom. Getting a ML ready Prospect at some position is likely. Maybe it is an OF since you're going to remove Parra too. Schafer is likely done after this season due to space/options/performance. And there's going to be that looming Gomez trade to occur. I mean the Athletics ran Rickie Weeks as their DH already. Seriously. Khris Davis is certainly a far better DH option than that!

Why are we forgetting Khris Davis as a Trade Chip? There's got to be an AL team out there who likes his DH/LF for that bat he provides. I mentioned in the Segura rumors. Let's say the Padres want him and trade away Renfroe? Or even Gettys? The Brewers, depending on who they get have the OF for the future to replace a Davis. Like the guy at the plate, but like with today's game, he's a liability in the field. He's very cheap which adds to his trade value. Call up Matt Clark to replace him for the near future and wait for the future of the Brewers OF to graduate in to the Majors. Whether it be whom the Padres traded to Milw, Coulter, or one of the soft hitting trio that provides plus defense in Taylor, Reed, or Wren.

Plus, in all this doom and gloom. Getting a ML ready Prospect at some position is likely. Maybe it is an OF since you're going to remove Parra too. Schafer is likely done after this season due to space/options/performance. And there's going to be that looming Gomez trade to occur. I mean the Athletics ran Rickie Weeks as their DH already. Seriously. Khris Davis is certainly a far better DH option than that!

The Brewers have Tyrone Taylor who will take over for Carlos Gomez after we trade him, but we don't really have a replacement in the wings if we trade Khris Davis too. Coulter and Harrison have bright futures, but are waaaay far off. The closest one may be Kyle Wren who is a big question mark right now. He is putting up nice stats, but some scouts see him more as a 4th outfielder.

I don't see Khris Davis going anywhere unless we can find a close to MLB ready OFer in that deal or another deal that is promising. I guess I could also see them trading Davis if it brings back a very good 1B or 3B prospect too. Obviously the Padres don't make sense, but if a team offered a player like Renfroe in a deal it could make sense.

I guess now that Yovani Gallardo is gone from the team, Khris Davis will inherit the underappreciated player role here. I don't understand why people are so fast to get rid of the guy, he is average in the field & has big time pop in his bat. There are probably 15 teams out there that would be dying for a $500,000 salary OF who is likely to slug 25 HR. IMO he is very valuable to us, as his contract allows us to go after guys like Zimmermann next offseason if we choose to. Same thing with Gennett, although he is weaker from one side of the plate.

I get a kick out of this forum sometimes...we sit here and cry and b***h and moan about wanting cheap, cost controlled talent. Then we finally get some in Davis and Gennett, & possibly Segura and the same people are DESPERATE to trade them away. It's like a perpetual infatuation with the MLB Draft and I don't get it.

Quote TPlush:

I don't see Khris Davis going anywhere unless we can find a close to MLB ready OFer in that deal or another deal that is promising. I guess I could also see them trading Davis if it brings back a very good 1B or 3B prospect too. Obviously the Padres don't make sense, but if a team offered a player like Renfroe in a deal it could make sense.

What I was suggesting is if the Brewers got Renfroe in a Segura deal, the trade-off could reasonably include Khris Davis. There's no reason to trade Davis any bit first to begin things. But< Finding an avg OF to play LF or RF in an offseason isn't all that hard. If Gomez lasts to play for Milw in to 2016. It'd be Gomez/Braun and someone to replace Davis. Who's not in the OF because of his defense. Its just the only spot to play him to get him in the field for his Bat with as said his below average arm.

There's time as nobody is pushing at Davis's spot. But like with Segura/sardinas and Arcia. (beside Hector Gomez) there's going to be a move necessary or just flat out Waive the loser. Think Texas who sent us Sardinas plus Knebel AND Marcos Diplan. Sardinas wasn't getting his full value due to the Glut Texas has in the Middle Infield. The Brewers will be running in to that problem before the end of this season w/o injury knock on wood. If we have what the Padres want they'll have to overpay to get him. If we are forced to move Segura to fit Arcia the Padres will get him for cheap to take him off our hands. That's where Davis could come in. If we were to get a Renfroe. You would trade him off before his replacement is ready because the added value not to trade him is there.

Anyway Gallardo 2 GS 9.2IP 14hits 6R Earned 12/2 K/BB only Good for 14mil. He wont reach 185IP this season even with 34Starts. Crazy to me the deal Milw got for him.

I guess now that Yovani Gallardo is gone from the team, Khris Davis will inherit the underappreciated player role here. I don't understand why people are so fast to get rid of the guy, he is average in the field & has big time pop in his bat. There are probably 15 teams out there that would be dying for a $500,000 salary OF who is likely to slug 25 HR. IMO he is very valuable to us, as his contract allows us to go after guys like Zimmermann next offseason if we choose to. Same thing with Gennett, although he is weaker from one side of the plate.

I get a kick out of this forum sometimes...we sit here and cry and b***h and moan about wanting cheap, cost controlled talent. Then we finally get some in Davis and Gennett, & possibly Segura and the same people are DESPERATE to trade them away. It's like a perpetual infatuation with the MLB Draft and I don't get it.

Why not consider trading one of them if they can bring back a nice haul? The team is playing like garbage...might as well talk about possible trade scenarios and how this team could go about the future. Now I don't hate Khris Davis as the above guy seems to act like...I actually think he is a pretty good player mainly because of his salary. With that being considered all that value translates to trade value as well and could help us in the future.

Most people are just mentioning possible trade chips that we COULD hypothetically deal. I don't see anyone demanding we trade a certain player etc.

I think you a seriously underrating Ramirez and Gennett. If Ramirez is hitting .270 and healthy he can fetch a decent prospect for a team in need of a 3B. Think Brewers back in 2011. He could fetch a 6-10 top prospect.

Gennett is pretty valuable himself. The fact he needs a platoon partner he is still worth a top 10 prospect too. He is more of a wildcard and depends when we trade him. Right now he has a lot of control and is very cheap.

Sure none of them will get a Top 100 prospect(maybe Gennett if the situation is right) but they still will bolster the farm system and you never know what those prospects could turn in to. You could get some very serviceable players out of it.

Seriously? No offense, but who is going to trade for Ramirez now? Five years ago, teams would have jumped on him. Hell, two or three years ago, they would have, also. But he's injury prone now, and he's said this is most likely his last season. Who is going to trade anybody decent for a less than one year rental of a player that might not even spend that whole year healthy?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I hate to say it, but I think this Brewers team wins 70-73 games. This pitching staff is a major concern for me. I think Lohse will bounce back a little, but he's really showing his age through his first couple of starts. Garza will pitch better, but I don't see him pitching as well as he did last year. I think Peralta is the most stable guy in our rotation, and I have to believe that Jimmy Nelson is going to be better, and more consistent than people expect him to be this first time through as a full time Major League player.

The offense is a mess right now. I don't think moving Braun is the answer. Rather, he needs to get it through his head to play smarter. He can't be diving for balls out of his reach, or running into walls. He's become a bit fragile, and we need him on the field. My projections for him this season have been fluctuating for the last month. Now I think he hits between .290 and .300, hits about 25 home runs, and comes close to 100 RBI. I do think he will be closer to the player we are all used to seeing by the end of the season.

I also think Jonathan Lucroy will have a great year. He's become the unsung hero of the Brewers, and it's nice to see him getting the recognition he deserves. He's an All Star again this season, and is in the top 10 MVP vote.

I have some major concerns about the other guys. Lind has been about the only hot hitter we have right now. Segura will improve over last year. I'd like to see some more consistency from Khris Davis, and I think it comes eventually. I am higher on him than a lot of people here, it seems. The guy may never be a great, or even good outfielder. But he's an extra base machine, so some defensive woes are forgivable. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 70 extra base hits this year.

Carlos Gomez, I have no idea what to expect. Can he keep this run he's been on up, or does he regress? At some point, you have to improve on your fundamentals. You can't get by just on sheer talent and athleticism alone...can you?

It occurred to me that I haven't signed up for MLB.tv yet. I might just hold off a while, because the Brewers are playing horribly right now, and I don't need to see that.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

its only been one week. everyone take 3 steps back from the ledge, take a couple deep breaths and repeat after me "R-E-L-A-X".

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I hate to say it, but I think this Brewers team wins 70-73 games. This pitching staff is a major concern for me. I think Lohse will bounce back a little, but he's really showing his age through his first couple of starts. Garza will pitch better, but I don't see him pitching as well as he did last year. I think Peralta is the most stable guy in our rotation, and I have to believe that Jimmy Nelson is going to be better, and more consistent than people expect him to be this first time through as a full time Major League player.

The offense is a mess right now. I don't think moving Braun is the answer. Rather, he needs to get it through his head to play smarter. He can't be diving for balls out of his reach, or running into walls. He's become a bit fragile, and we need him on the field. My projections for him this season have been fluctuating for the last month. Now I think he hits between .290 and .300, hits about 25 home runs, and comes close to 100 RBI. I do think he will be closer to the player we are all used to seeing by the end of the season.

I also think Jonathan Lucroy will have a great year. He's become the unsung hero of the Brewers, and it's nice to see him getting the recognition he deserves. He's an All Star again this season, and is in the top 10 MVP vote.

I have some major concerns about the other guys. Lind has been about the only hot hitter we have right now. Segura will improve over last year. I'd like to see some more consistency from Khris Davis, and I think it comes eventually. I am higher on him than a lot of people here, it seems. The guy may never be a great, or even good outfielder. But he's an extra base machine, so some defensive woes are forgivable. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 70 extra base hits this year.

Carlos Gomez, I have no idea what to expect. Can he keep this run he's been on up, or does he regress? At some point, you have to improve on your fundamentals. You can't get by just on sheer talent and athleticism alone...can you?

It occurred to me that I haven't signed up for MLB.tv yet. I might just hold off a while, because the Brewers are playing horribly right now, and I don't need to see that.

So you're concerned about the pitching and the offense but you think everyone will turn it around and be all right? That was quite a bipolar post.

Rather, he needs to get it through his head to play smarter. He can't be diving for balls out of his reach,

Other than the thumb injury of course, I think this has been the biggest reason for his struggles the last two years. It really seems he's swinging at pitches outside of the zone way more than before the suspension. He's consistently falling for the low outside slider and I don't recall that being a major problem with him before. Good example was yesterday he had that 10 pitch at bat when maybe only one of the pitches was in the zone but he kept fouling them off. I know they were all close and he had to protect but maybe if he didn't swing at the early one he wouldn't have had to protect with 2 strikes, maybe he gets in a 3-1 count and actually gets a pitch on the plate instead of on his hands or low and outside. It really seems the scouting report is out on him now, he has to actually adjust.

Washington Nationals on extending Jordan Zimmerman:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/fear-of-second-elbow-surgery-may-lead-to-zimmerman-strasburg-departures/2015/03/29/80367f62-d646-11e4-8103-fa84725dbf9d_story.html

Bottom line: They are afraid a second Tommy John would likely finish him and these injuries tend to recur after a given length of time. The Nationals could probably sign him for less than anybody else and they are passing. The Brewers should not expend a huge amount of money either, in my opinion. Some are counting on a home town discount but even with that, it will cost the Brewers plenty.

Also, I agree it's way too early to panic.

I haven't signed up for direct tv baseball package either because of the Brewers.

My main concern is that 2008-2011 was built around two 6-8 oWAR players in Braun and Prince. Where are those guys going to come from? Gomez and Luc? Both very good players but peak Braun and Prince; I dont think so. Segura looks great so far and Davis might have that in him? Lind is hot but I think we sadly know that he wont play 150 games. ARam looks horrible but traditionally he has been a very slow starter. Like you, I am very concerned for this offense.

My opinion of Braun stays the same. The man is a 750 guy at best, not a 950 guy. I have seen plenty of him to make that comment. He is a PED guy and save your words trying to convince me otherwise. Maybe he is hoping for the next gen of stanozolol. I dont know. I would move him to first since we are stuck with him due to that contract, and his body is now made of cheap glass.

I am less concerned for the pitching staff. I do think we may be on the verge of an excellent 1-2 in Wily and Nelson. Lohse will figure it out. Garza is mediocre as he has always been, but not horrible. Plus if we ever had a must win game, the other team would just bunt him to death, which makes him pretty much useless. Fiers is a question mark but what team doesn't have those? The bullpen might just be OK, but its too early to tell. The "names" out there suggest this is a decent group, and the team hasn't played enough competitive games to get the 789 formula down yet.

Archived