Brewer Fanatic

Kimbrel and Melvin Upton to the Padres

nate82

If Quentin gets released, I wouldn't mind him as a bench OF to replace Schafer.

He could also be an option as a RH at 1B

I guess I hadn't realized how bad Quentin's numbers got last season, but I still like him as a possible upgrade on the bench. Likely to be a cheap pick-up at this point.

I feel for San Diego. Being in the same division as the Giants and Dodgers is tough. It will be interesting to see if all the moves they've made this offseason will be enough to bridge the gap this season, or if all these moves will just lead to another third place finish.

They are in a different place than the Brewers, however. While the Brewers seem to be around max revenue, meaning extra spending can only bring meaningful additional revenues if they make the playoffs, the Padres can add a lot of revenue if they can spur fan interest and get more people to the park. Spurring fan interest could also lead to massive future TV contracts, while the Brewers are in the unfortunate situation that their TV deal is always going to be one of the smallest in the league simply because of where they're located.

Also, while the Brewers have been around max payroll for years, the Padres started this offseason with a low payroll, and all of the moves they've made have pushed their salary to around the level of the Milwaukee Brewers in a market that should allow for a payroll larger than the Brewers.

I don't follow the Padres, so other than looking at Cot's I don't know the "ins-and-outs," but while they've traded away a bunch of the farm, at the MLB level they have some big names/big talents signed for the long term, with some good young MLB talent. While they have some big obligations, they have a lot of money dropping off the books after this season for guys who aren't key pieces (Benoit, Venable, Morrow, Kelley, etc) and Justin Upton and Ian Kennedy will be FA, adding up to around $36MM coming off the books after 2015. They should have plenty of cash to cover their obligations and add talent, and they will still have a lot of talent, especially if BJ Upton can bounce back at all to fill in his brother's shoes when he leaves.

I don't want to see the NL West turn into the AL East where two big spenders dominate the division, making the playoffs every year, so I hope the Padres' plan can work and they can be a thorn in the side of the Giants and Dodgers for a while.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Quentin gets released, I wouldn't mind him as a bench OF to replace Schafer.

He could also be an option as a RH at 1B

Quentin has never played 1B in his entire professional career. What makes him an option at 1B?

Reportedly the Padres worked Quentin at 1B - and the results were not good. He's really a DH now. His OF defense is Adam Dunnesque.

Archived