Brewer Fanatic

New security at MLB

LaprilOne

I am little surprised no one has posted on the new security measures, considering the opinionated group we are!

Nonetheless, if anyone who goes to the opening games this week, it would be helpful to all if you posted any hints, tips, hassles or good experiences.

My first game is not till April 12, so I hope any bugs are worked out.

Those of you who are opening day and courageous opening week fans, any hints or tips will be dearly appreciated.

Thanks!

The Brewers did it a couple times last year. I went to one of those games and here are some simple tips.

-Don't bring extra metal that you don't need. So leave the pocket flashlight or your watch in the car.

-Get in line early!

-Food and Drink is still allowed last I heard

If you are near the front and don't have a lot of metal it will go fast. I just had to throw my phone in the bin and bam I was through. The farther back you are the more delays you will hit with people not being ready or not taking off all their metal. It really isn't a big deal that some make it out to be. Yeah it sucks, but it is what it is.

Community Moderator
I had to go through this a few times at Mariners games last year. They had "fast lanes" for people without bags. If the Brewers do the same thing, it is advantageous to avoid purses or carry-in bags. The actual passing through the metal detector is relatively easy--things likes belts don't set it off so you only have to empty your pockets to get through quickly.

There was a big thread about this last year and yes, the Brewers did this for some of their final games last year. The biggest thing I saw last year were people being a bit unaware that their were multiple lines. They walked up and just got in the first line that they saw instead of just looking a little to the left or right and seeing that there were shorter lines.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I had to go through this a few times at Mariners games last year. They had "fast lanes" for people without bags. If the Brewers do the same thing, it is advantageous to avoid purses or carry-in bags. The actual passing through the metal detector is relatively easy--things likes belts don't set it off so you only have to empty your pockets to get through quickly.

Whats the point if "things like belts" dont set it off?? this just seems like a "feel good" measure and nothing else.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Community Moderator

Whats the point if "things like belts" dont set it off?? this just seems like a "feel good" measure and nothing else.

They are probably looking for weapons/firearms. You can't take much time when there are 40,000 people to screen.

They are probably looking for weapons/firearms. You can't take much time when there are 40,000 people to screen.

True. I just cant see someone who is going to do something sinister complying at a checkpoint after being caught. I conceal carry pretty much all the time off duty and I have never forgotten it was on me and had an issue at a checkpoint. I believe it will make some people feel better, but I just think its theatrics.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

That was the complaint last year. This is all about appearing safe without actually delivering.

They also have a new video for before the game. It goes into detail how to exit in an emergency. They cover every type of seat location! Maybe it's because I'm not a moran, but I'd love to see how many people find this information useful.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

That was the complaint last year. This is all about appearing safe without actually delivering.

They also have a new video for before the game. It goes into detail how to exit in an emergency. They cover every type of seat location! Maybe it's because I'm not a moran, but I'd love to see how many people find this information useful.

Or would actually follow it during an actual emergency.

I was at the game last night. Some points:

1. 30,000 in attendance and I walked in around 6:30

2. Those with a purse / bag / backpack can't use the express line (which was empty) - the bag line had a line of about 3 people in front of me .

3. Out cell phone and wallet in a container that security agent took and handed back after I walked through detectors.

Honestly don't think it took much more time.

Was also at opening day. Lines were long and I went in about an hour before game time. But once again line moved very quickly.

All in all, pretty minimal impact.

Our first detector games were Monday and Wednesday - we were not at any of the test games in 2014 - and I admit my expectations were pretty low (i.e. I was expecting hassles), but there were virtually none.

On both days we got to the gates/lines later than we typically do, for reasons unrelated to security. We entered by home plate with the home plate team store on our right - the same entrance we've been using for years. I felt like the slowness on Monday was due more to sheer volume of people rather than the security measures.

I bring a canvas bag into the park and the S.O. brings a fanny pack for his diabetic-friendly snacks. If you have a bag, you set it on a table and the stadium staff look inside just as they've done for some time now. The bag doesn't go through the detector.

There are small plastic bins for the contents of your pockets (keys/phone/etc), and then you walk through the detector. I've been putting my phone and keys into the canvas bag, so I haven't used the bins.

The only delay I experienced so far was in waiting for the S.O., who needed to be wanded. The wanding did not reveal anything so they let him pass.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is where my favorite bag checker from years past is this year. My favorite ticket beeper is in the express lane, so I don't know if I will cross paths with him as much this year.

We've discussed this before in other threads, but I assume this is a cover-your-behind measure for MLB and isn't likely to often reveal actual weaponry.

As for the evacuation video that RFC mentioned...I didn't see it on Monday and only caught part of it Wednesday, again because we arrived later than usual. But from what I saw on the concourse TV, it looks very much like the evacuation video that is now played before UW events at the Kohl Center. It just has blue arrows instead of red. Maybe all facilities are adopting that general evacuation template, I'd guess also as a cover-your-behind measure.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 2 months later...

I've been to five games, and at the last two, my belt has set this thing off. I've worn the same belt to every game. I don't think it has unusual amount of metal.

At this point, I've decided that it's simpler to empty my pockets completely so there's no guessing game. I may decide it's simpler to have my pockets empty to begin with and put everything into a small pack.

I don't think this system causes undue delays, though. Kind of like golf, customers who don't trip the trigger can "play through" while the person that's delayed is cleared.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The one game I went to this season the guy in front of us realized halfway through the game he had a pocket knife on him that he didn't take out when he came in and it wasn't detected. My wife also realized halfway through the game she had her giant carabiner key chain full of keys in her pocket and that also didn't set it off. [sarcasm]Sounds like they're working great![/sarcasm]

Wore my steel toe boots to a game two weeks ago. It was a bit chilly out and didn't want to wear my tennis shoes. My boots set it off and I got wanded/patted down.

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." - Bob Feller

Follow me @BrewerMoose

Archived