Brewer Fanatic

Hunter Morris traded to PIT for a PTBNL

RobDeer 45

It wasn't going to happen in Milwaukee and it's probably not going to happen in Pittsburgh. The only way he gets a shot there is if Alvarez gets hurt or completely falls on his face.

Pittsburgh has been dealing with almost the same black hole of first basemen that Milwaukee has since Corey Hart got hurt. And guess who plays for Pittsburgh now?

Any team could have had him when he was removed from the 40 man so don't really care who he was traded to as he didn't have a future here. For his sake I hope he turns it around and gets a shot at playing in the majors.

dont worry, he really doesnt have a shot to make the Pirates with Alvarez/Hart/Lambo making 1B.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I don't like losing anyone with a true power bat. Most likely he won't be missed, but there's always that chance he finds his swing at the MLB level. He was able to do it for a while in the minors, so the potential is there. (Don't get me wrong , I get it, there is no place for him in MLB/AAA so he had to go.)

I don't like losing anyone with a true power bat. Most likely he won't be missed, but there's always that chance he finds his swing at the MLB level. He was able to do it for a while in the minors, so the potential is there. (Don't get me wrong , I get it, there is no place for him in MLB/AAA so he had to go.)

There's a dozen or more guys toiling at AAA with similar skill set to Morris every year. They aren't all that hard to find as the Brewers proved when they grabbed Clark last year. Morris is that prototypical lefty swinging 1B guy with some power that isn't quite good enough to crack the big leagues where to make it at 1B you have to be a very good all around hitter, not just a guy who'll pop an occasional HR.

Nobody in AA last year (1B men) had as high an OPS as Morris did at Huntsville in his big year. Only three did at AAA. Those were all in the Coast League which must be taken with a grain of salt. You're probably right that he is nothing special but releasing him after a serious wrist injury could be an unforced error. He had shown a glimmer of being able to hit in that one year.

to be honest, the last time I was excited by Morris was when he played 3b a few games. He's had one very good minor league season and many bad ones. I never understood why people were anointing him the 1b of the future when he screamed more like Kevin Barker and Brad Nelson

Clark and Rogers are better players, and Ramirez has shown better OBP skills.

Nobody in AA last year (1B men) had as high an OPS as Morris did at Huntsville in his big year. Only three did at AAA. Those were all in the Coast League which must be taken with a grain of salt. You're probably right that he is nothing special but releasing him after a serious wrist injury could be an unforced error. He had shown a glimmer of being able to hit in that one year.

He had a .360 BABIP that season.

While being below .300 the two years surrounding it. It was the definition of a fluky lucky year.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Baldkin-

That just says he had a really good year and hit the ball hard consistently. In MLB last year, players with around that OPS level:

Rizzo .913/ .311 BABIP

Bautista .928/.287

Trout .939/.349

Stanton .950/.353

Now Bautista, of course, was heavy on HR and BB unlike Hunter Morris. While Morris' BABIP may have been slightly high, it generally is high if you hit at that level because you consistently hit the ball hard. I don't want to push this too hard, but it does rankle somewhat when the Brewers bring in a bunch of AAAA outfielders released by other organizations and drop their own. I didn't expect much from Hunter Morris but it's possible that he might develop into something more. They could have put Clark or even Morris in leftfield instead of importing all those AAAA guys.

Baldkin-

That just says he had a really good year and hit the ball hard consistently. In MLB last year, players with around that OPS level:

Rizzo .913/ .311 BABIP

Bautista .928/.287

Trout .939/.349

Stanton .950/.353

Now Bautista, of course, was heavy on HR and BB unlike Hunter Morris. While Morris' BABIP may have been slightly high, it generally is high if you hit at that level because you consistently hit the ball hard. I don't want to push this too hard, but it does rankle somewhat when the Brewers bring in a bunch of AAAA outfielders released by other organizations and drop their own. I didn't expect much from Hunter Morris but it's possible that he might develop into something more. They could have put Clark or even Morris in leftfield instead of importing all those AAAA guys.

Have to agree with you on dropping most of last year's AAA team. It's not like the guys they dropped: Kentrail Davis, Halton, Gindl, and now Morris have had any trouble finding teams that wanted their services either. All are playing somewhere in AAA this season. Or that they had to make room for other guys coming up in the system. Or that the guys the Brewers signed were any better (they're not). In the case of Matt Clark though, I think he did show more than Morris last year.

Have to agree with you on dropping most of last year's AAA team. It's not like the guys they dropped: Kentrail Davis, Halton, Gindl, and now Morris have had any trouble finding teams that wanted their services either. All are playing somewhere in AAA this season. Or that they had to make room for other guys coming up in the system. Or that the guys the Brewers signed were any better (they're not). In the case of Matt Clark though, I think he did show more than Morris last year.

I think they got rid of some of those guys because they requested it. I know I read something to that effect about Halton. If the Brewers didn't view them as prospects it might be better to let them go somewhere were they might be viewed as such. While it seems silly to get rid of your own AAAA guys and bring in another batch of AAAA guys I think it helps your overall system to have guys who want to be there and feel like they are wanted. It helps keep teams more cohesive, not to mention shows the organization as a whole tries to treat their players right. Overall the potential of boosting, or at least maintaining, a team's moral along with the image of the organization is probably of more value than keeping a player deemed a non prospect would.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived