Mass Haas
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Baseball America Top 20 Midwest League -- Kodi Medeiros at 16

Chat questions --

Mike (Milwaukee): How close was Cody Ponce to making the top 20? Saw that his fastball was touching 97-98 in fall instructionals with a slight cut action.

J.J. Cooper: Very close. Should move quick. Four pitches he can throw around the zone. That’s more velo than I would expect over a full season but he has impressive stuff.

Todd (Cedar Rapids): I think it's fair to say we'll see both Alex Jackson (Mariners) and Monte Harrison back in the MWL next season. Both struggled mightily in their initial exposure to full season ball. Which player, in your opinion, is most likely to unlock their tools and reach their ceiling?

J.J. Cooper: One would think Jackson but there was really nothing encouraging about his early season stay in Clinton. He was missing very hittable fastballs. Didn’t drive the ball. Didn’t really do much of anything. Harrison is much more of the kind of hitter who was expected to struggle–a two-sport star who is now fully focused on baseball. Jackson was a polished SoCal hitter who has played in a ton of showcases. Both still have very high ceilings but I’m more worried about Jackson’s struggles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
AUDIO: Hometown radio interview with RHP Scott Lieser - go to the 2:45 minute mark

Side note: It's not quite up there with "Ashley Ashley", but Scott's wife's name is "Elise Lieser" -- five letters is all you need.

Elise actually worked for me when she was in high school. They are both really good people. Scott's career K/BB ratio is pretty impressive (6.21). He only has 14 BB in 99 IP. He definitely projects to be a middle reliever at best in the majors but is definitely someone I'm keeping my eye on.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
AUDIO: Hometown radio interview with RHP Scott Lieser - go to the 2:45 minute mark

Side note: It's not quite up there with "Ashley Ashley", but Scott's wife's name is "Elise Lieser" -- five letters is all you need.

Elise actually worked for me when she was in high school. They are both really good people. Scott's career K/BB ratio is pretty impressive (6.21). He only has 14 BB in 99 IP. He definitely projects to be a middle reliever at best in the majors but is definitely someone I'm keeping my eye on.

Unfortunately, Lieser was among the Christmas cuts.

I don't remember him signing on with an indy league team, at least as of yet.

Via BrewCrewBall (and scout Chris Kusiolek) --

Scouting Report on RHP Cody Ponce

Fastball: 70

Slider: 60

Changeup: 60

Curveball: 40

And they have them as a mid-rotation starter? Shouldn't those 3 pitches combine to a #2 at least? FYI, I think the strong FB/strong Change combo is the deadliest pitch combo.

I mentioned this quite a bit last year but his secondary stuff was better than advertised on draft day, though his command/control were worse.

Here's the brief scouting report I wrote on him last year.

I may have mislabed his change as a curve, but it wasn't moving arm side so looked more like hammer curve, or maybe he wasn't throwing it when I watched him pitch which is a distinct possibility.

His best case profile would be that of a #2, his middle ground would be that of a #3, which is fine. He's definitely interesting.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Gah, I woke up this morning and that post I made yesterday was bothering me and now I know why after I finally had a chance to revisit it.

I meant to say that Ponce's FB was better than advertised and but his secondary stuff wasn't as good. For some reason I changed it around when I proof read it and submitted it backwards. I was multitasking at the time and I apologize for the confusing differing opinions I offered inside of 1 post. Again, his FB is better than it was advertised on draft day (topped out at 97 when I saw him pitch) but I wasn't impressed with his secondary stuff that much in person or watching on TV.

His FB does lose a couple MPH out of the stretch which brings his AVE velocity down but that seems to be an issue that he can address, as it had to something mechanical.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

His best case profile would be that of a #2, his middle ground would be that of a #3, which is fine. He's definitely interesting.

I do remember your scouting report post. That and following him last year has me thinking he is going to be a fast riser. But my original post was questioning how a guy with a 70/60/60/40 on his best 4 pitches was "only" a middle rotation starter (per Kusiolek).

I suppose his rankings could be high compared to other rankings, but here is how BA ranks other pitchers:

Lucas Giolito Fastball: 80 | Curveball: 70 | Changeup: 55

Tyler Glasnow Fastball: 75 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50

Alex Reyes Fastball: 70 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50

Jorge Lopez Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 45

Ranking by Chris Kusiolek:

Cody Ponce Fastball: 70 | Slider: 60 | Changeup: 60

So just be looking at his top three pitches, he compares favorably to Alex Reyes and Tyler Glasnow. Would they be considered #2s? (Honest question, I don't know).

Also interesting is that BA ranks Ponce's control better (50) than Lopez, Glasnow or Reyes (45), but worse than Giolito (60).

Here is kind of a stupid, random question: on the rattlers cap logo, with the W and snake, is that supposed to be a grey baseball cap on the snakes head? Going to try to get up to a game this year and I'll probably buy some gear and this has been driving me nuts!

Should be an exciting team though for sure.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Here is kind of a stupid, random question: on the rattlers cap logo, with the W and snake, is that supposed to be a grey baseball cap on the snakes head?

Not a stupid question - I'm not positive either, but my money is on cap.

Less than a month out from live baseball in Appleton!

I have 3 hats, just looked at the one you're talking about. Yea, grey hat titled to the side. Yes, like Poochy. Went a little too far trying to jam too much in that logo, IMHO, but generally speaking they have really nice merchandise.

Now Brevard on the other hand, horrible selection. Then again, Trats operation is light years ahead of Brevard in every way. For example, most interesting item in Brevard's concessions?? Hot dog.

I do remember your scouting report post. That and following him last year has me thinking he is going to be a fast riser. But my original post was questioning how a guy with a 70/60/60/40 on his best 4 pitches was "only" a middle rotation starter (per Kusiolek).

I suppose his rankings could be high compared to other rankings, but here is how BA ranks other pitchers:

Lucas Giolito Fastball: 80 | Curveball: 70 | Changeup: 55

Tyler Glasnow Fastball: 75 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50

Alex Reyes Fastball: 70 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50

Jorge Lopez Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 45

Ranking by Chris Kusiolek:

Cody Ponce Fastball: 70 | Slider: 60 | Changeup: 60

So just be looking at his top three pitches, he compares favorably to Alex Reyes and Tyler Glasnow. Would they be considered #2s? (Honest question, I don't know).

Also interesting is that BA ranks Ponce's control better (50) than Lopez, Glasnow or Reyes (45), but worse than Giolito (60).

I think Glasnow has the ceiling of a #1, the only thing that's going to limit him is his control, and it keeps improving year to year like you'd hope out of a top pitching prospect. Maybe he falls apart like a Manny Parra and just won't ever trust his stuff and attack MLB hitters, forever nibbling off the corners, but having watched him pitch on a handful of occasions I don't get the impression he lacks confidence at all.

Reyes is probably a solid #2, maybe he squeaks into that 1.5 range, I'm not as confident in him as I am in Glasnow, but I also haven't seen Reyes pitch outside of a couple of innings. If you're willing to dream on him you see a legit tier 1 FB, a plus true hammer curve, and a plus change with MLB average control and command. I'm in wait and see mode on the control and command, not to mention his drug suspension gives me pause. I don't so much care about the legality of that issue as I do players who willfully break the rules knowing if they get caught it will set their career back. (I'm not any more interested in debating relative maturity levels than I am the legality of marijuana)

If you're looking at the scouting report from just one source then yes Ponce's stuff lines up with the best pitchers in the game, but that's a stretch today. I would guess Ponce's ranking from this particular source comes from improved velocity reports in pro ball to go with his draft day scouting reports on his breaking stuff, kind of a best case scenario on both ends. He has the physical tools to be a top of the rotation guy but he also has plenty of cleaning up to do prior to hitting MLB. With that kind of projection he should have been taken in the top 5 picks in the draft, at the very least top 10, and who knows, maybe one day we'll look back at him as one of the best draft picks in Brewer history.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. The scouting realm is interesting, but it certainly seems like the grades conflict themselves at times (i.e. a 70/60/60/40/50 skill set results in a 45 or 50 grade). Certainly its driven by opinions and attempts to predict the future, but seems like some scouts are more consistent than others.

So I suppose your #2-3 range for Ponce matches up with Reyes (for different reasons). So at least that makes more sense.

Archived