Brewer Fanatic

Your 2015 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

Mass Haas
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very impressed that all of these high-school guys were sent to single A. I mean i am shocked how good Kodi Mediros has been. he had 2 bad starts, other than that he has been crazy good. His gb/fb ratio is outragerous, and he is striking out.

Montee Harrison can't say I am surprised by his struggles. is anybody? it was sort of a surprise seeing him in A ball, its his first full year playing baseball fulltime, so lets see where he is in 3-4 years from now. Jake Gatewood is huge, he has huge power. very excited to see him continue his game.

All in all though, last years draft might god won as one of brewers best in years.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

“Just an unbelievable feeling:” FOX6 checks in with Kodi Medeiros, picked first overall by Brewers in draft

by Brandon Cruz

PICTURES at the link

MILWAUKEE — The annual Major League Baseball Draft is a life-changing event for the young men who are selected. Kodi Medeiros is the player selected in the first round by the Milwaukee Brewers last year.

“It was just an unbelievable feeling, you know, getting drafted 12th overall,” Medeiros said.

In June of 2014, a dream became reality for left-handed pitching sensation Kodi Medeiros when the Brewers chose him as their first pick in baseball’s amateur draft.

“It was really big for the people back home, my coaches and my family and it was just an unbelievable moment,” Medeiros said.

Soon after the draft, the Hawaiian native and recent high school graduate was introduced at Miller Park. After that, his professional career began at the rookie ball level in Arizona.

“Being the pitcher that I was in Arizona, I wasn’t, I didn’t really have a mindset on how I’m going to get batters out. I just had that same mindset like high school. I just tried to blow it by guys,” Medeiros said.

Building on that experience, Medeiros reported to Spring Training in 2015, landing in Appleton with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, the Brewers Class A affiliate.

“I’m enjoying it, you know. It’s been a hell of a ride since last year to this year. I’ve learned so much, made a lot of new friends. It’s been going really great,” Medeiros said.

It was during Spring Training, after his team committed a number of errors behind him, that his manager, Matt Erickson noticed a certain quality in Medeiros.

“It didn’t seem to bother him a whole lot. He seemed like he had a calm demeanor and a team guy and he was like ‘hey, I’m going to get you another one.’ And that’s rare, especially for an 18-19 year old,” Erickson said.

Timber Rattlers Pitching Coach Gary Lucas also sees something special with his young left-handed starter.

“When it’s all said and done, you can see the talent. You can see why he was drafted number one. You can tell he loves the game. He has enthusiasm around other players. How he interacts with them is infectious,” Lucas said.

Medeiros credits his teammates for taking away the pressure that might be associated with being an organization’s top pick.

“Being around the guys, we’re all just treated the same. I don’t feel, really, that much more is expected of me any more. So I just go out and just compete like everyone else. I just try to keep that mindset,” Medeiros said.

“He’s gotten his bonus money. He’s number one. But now everybody’s in the same boat. They’re trying to get better as young professionals. Trying to get information they need to get better and get to Brevard or move up the line in the Brewers channel,” Lucas said.

“I think you help the guys by talking about the routine and not get wrapped up in the results right away. If we can get that foundation of work ethic and effort level then usually their ability takes over and they end up having pretty good careers,” Erickson said.

It is a message that Medeiros seems to understand well, and he’s willing to pass it on to the next number one pick.

“I’d just say just be ready to make that commitment and be ready to just come play ball and just be open-minded, ready to learn. Your lifestyle’s going to change a whole lot. And you know, just enjoy every moment of it,” Medeiros said.

Medeiros says the biggest changes for him have been the amount of baseball he’s playing and getting used to the weather in the Midwest. He also says he’s now understanding his craft much more than he did a year ago.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Outdoor enthusiast Sneed looking to reel in victories for Rattlers

Tim Froberg, Post-Crescent Media

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/1e809c5ce39f364c283be17faf64380b02b65853/c=0-188-3000-4188&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/2015/06/13/Appleton/B9317677866Z.1_20150613190338_000_GRAB2N1BH.1-0.jpg

Cy Sneed was the Timber Rattlers’ lone pitcher selected to play in the Midwest League All-Star Classic this season.

(Photo: Wm. Glasheen/Post-Crescent Media)

A full Q&A is included in this player profile.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

St. Charles North native Hirsch set to start against Cougars

by Chris Casey, Kane County Chronicle

GENEVA – Zach Hirsch wasn’t going to allow anything to inhibit him from starting against the Cougars this time around.

Hirsch, a 2009 St. Charles North graduate and member of the Milwaukee Brewers Class-A affiliate Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, will start on the mound Thursday against the Cougars at Fifth Third Bank Ball Park in Geneva.

The Timber Rattlers had Hirsch scheduled to start back in May, but elbow soreness forced the southpaw to miss the appearance. Hirsch said he has thought about today’s outing for awhile, but wants to make sure he doesn’t get too caught up in the moment.

“I’m really excited about it, there’s no doubt about that,” Hirsch said after Wednesday’s matinee, an 8-7 Cougars’ win. “I was looking forward to it last time we were in town, but with the injury, I wasn’t able to go. But whether I’m down in Kentucky or 10 minutes from home, I try to treat every start the same, so it’ll be a cool experience, but it’s no different than any other start.”

Hirsch (2-3, 2.98 ERA) last started at Fifth Third Bank Ballpark in 2009, his senior year at North. Being from the area, he expects a fairly good showing of hometown support, something he always appreciates.

“I love having support anytime,” Hirsch said. “It doesn’t matter how many people show up, I enjoy and am thankful for support wherever I am.”

One person he can count on seeing, should the weather cooperate for the scheduled 6:30 PM first pitch, will be North head coach Todd Genke.

Genke said he keeps in contact with as many of his players who have gone on to play at the next level as he can, and makes sure he can get out to see them play whenever they are in the area.

“We are bringing a nice little group,” Genke said. “I double checked with Zach a few nights ago to see if he was still starting because of the rain and he reassured me that he’d be out there. We are really excited to see him throw and I hope he throws the way I know he is capable.”

Genke said Hirsch had joked in a previous conversation, when hearing Genke and other supporters would be in attendance, that he was going to be nervous pitching in front of people.

“He told me ‘There’s never anyone in the stands when I pitch, so I’m going to be nervous’,” Genke said with a laugh.

Hirsch was selected by the Brewers as a 19th-round draft pick out of Nebraska in June 2014.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Erickson, Timber Rattlers players adjust to life on the road

GRAND CHUTE – It's not the Powerball or the Wisconsin Lottery Mega Millions, and no one is going to retire on the jackpot.

But excitement builds on the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' bus whenever the hat gets passed around.

The rules are simple: toss in five bucks or so along with an ID.

One by one, the IDs are pulled out until a final one remains, and the owner gets the cash.

Welcome to life on the road with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, where simple diversions like the bus lottery are a part of the travel experience.

The Rattlers will finish up a 13-day, 12-game road trip today at Beloit. It is the longest road trip of the season and came on the heels of an 11-game road swing in late May.

Road trips are embraced by some and dreaded by others. They mean living out of suitcases, adapting to different beds every three or four days, dealing with hecklers at the ballpark and boredom away from it. And, of course, there are the bus rides, where time seems to be frozen and quick trips are as rare as triple plays.

Movies, music, video games and conversation are boredom busters on the bus. And the tap-tap-tap of fingers on a cell phones is a constant.

"We have the bus lottery, which is always fun and everyone looks forward to," said Wisconsin manager Matt Erickson. "We usually do it at the beginning of a road trip and someone always starts off the trip excited. But other than that, it is what you would think it would be. You're on the bus for a long time, and you find ways to deal with it."

Erickson knows the minor league lifestyle well, and has always enjoyed it. A seventh-round selection by the Florida Marlins in the 1997 draft, the former Appleton West multi-sport athlete played 11 seasons in the minor leagues and has been a coach or manager the past seven years.

"It's changed a little bit over the years, because there's so much technology now," said Erickson, the winningest manager in Timber Ratters history. "In years past, there would be a lot of card games on the bus. But now, everyone has their phone and internal computers. For me, personally, I always liked the travel. The game has helped me see so much of the country, and I've played in places like Taiwan, Mexico and Canada. Travel-wise, this game has given me so much. I doubt if I'd otherwise be able to see those places."

Routine, routine, routine

Once minor league teams like the Rattlers reach their destination, players and coaches fall into similar routines they experience at home. A typical work day for a 7 p.m. game can start as early as 1 p.m. There are meetings, video reviews, individualized instruction, weight training, stretching, work in the indoor batting cages, and hot and cold tub treatment before players hit the field for batting practice and warmups about two hours before the game.

"To me, road games actually go fast," said Rattlers catcher Carlos Leal. "You wake up, go to the field and you're doing something the rest of the day. You're always busy."

Leal is in his second season of professional baseball, and life on the road seems to agree with him.

"They (the Brewers organization) take care of us," said Leal. "They treat us really well. We stay in nice hotels, you get your own bed and eat good food. I thought road trips were going to be tough and I had heard they were tough, but they're not bad at all. I enjoy them. Even on the bus, we have fun. I'm always doing something with my phone and before you know it, we're there. In college, the bus trips we took were a lot longer."

Timber Rattlers ace pitcher Cy Sneed uses as much time on the road as possible to keep his valuable right shoulder healthy.

"This game can really tax the body," said Sneed. "You can get a lot of work done on the road. You stretch, you use the hot tub and cold tub. I mean, yeah, it can get a little boring sitting in the hotel for hours on end, but you can use it as a positive by using it to rest up and get your body to recover."

High-tech help

Erickson says the daily structure that major league organizations provide for minor league ballplayers — both at home and on the road — hasn't changed significantly since his playing days. But the various ways organizations can develop players through technology is vastly different.

"Structure has always been there, it's always been the No. 1 priority," said Erickson. "It's always been very organized with schedules, and that's important with younger kids at lower levels. You give them a little more as they get older and figure out how to prepare themselves.

"The thing that's amazing to me in today's game is there is so much more information available, so much video. We video every day, every pitch, every at-bat. These kids are able to see every swing they take, every pitch they throw. I think that's a good thing. With some people, you have to repeat, repeat, repeat until it becomes a muscle memory type thing. Others are visual learners and they have to see it in front of them and then feel it. For those kind of learners, videos are such a great tool.

"Our players take a personality test and we upload that into our computer system, so we learn how they learn. That way, our staff can base its teachings to different individuals. Until now, I had never seen that in our organization. It's a great tool for us."

Lots of jeers, few cheers

Playing on the road requires considerable poise and confidence, along with a thick skin. Individuals sensitive to criticism have no choice but to adapt to hecklers and hostile crowds, because they're not going to get any fan support until they return home.

"I actually enjoyed playing on the road and in front of negative fans," said Erickson, who played four games with the Milwaukee Brewers during the 2004 season. "I would have loved to have played in Philadelphia or at Yankee Stadium. If you're a competitor, you like those kind of environments. The more fans get excited and get negative, the more you want to show them."

For family men like Erickson, who is married and has three children, life on the road can be especially challenging. It means missing little league games, recitals and quality time with his wife, Julie, and children, Maddox, Aubrie and Emma.

"I always joke that it (the travel) has kept our marriage strong throughout the years," said Erickson with a chuckle. "I'm home just long enough to where I might be hanging around the house and my wife is like, 'Don't you have to somewhere to go?' I'm kidding. When you're on the road for a couple weeks, you're living on the phone."

Following today's game against Beloit, the Rattlers have three days off before starting the second half of the Midwest League season Thursday at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. It will be Wisconsin's first home game in 17 days and launches a seven-game home stand.

"These road trips can definitely get long," said Erickson. "It's fun to be able to wake up with your family and spend your mornings or off days with them. I'm fortunate in that my job is in my hometown. It's where I live. So when I get home, I get a chance to go to those little league games, basketball camps and all that stuff. A lot of the coaches and married guys in pro baseball live in other places, so they don't get that opportunity. I'm very fortunate."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers’ Medeiros learning

19-year-old prospect shows glimpses of his potential

By Josh Flickinger, Beloit Daily News

Kodi Medeiros earned his high school diploma last June. This year, he’s getting an entirely different education.

The Milwaukee Brewers made Medeiros the 12th overall selection in the 2014 Major League Baseball Draft. A native of Hilo, Hawaii, Medeiros just turned 19 in late May and is wearing a Wisconsin Timber Rattlers uniform as he works toward his dream of pitching in the big leagues.

While his season has had its share of ups and downs, Medeiros gave Brewers fans a hopeful glimpse into the future Friday. He got the start in Friday’s game at Miller Park, when the Timber Rattlers battled the Snappers and took a no-hitter into the sixth inning. He ended up as the winning pitcher in the game.

“It was an awesome experience and I really enjoyed myself,” Medeiros said. “To be able to play in a big league park and be treated like a big leaguer was great. Hopefully in the next couple of years, if I do well, I’ll be able to pitch there again.”

Wisconsin pitching coach Gary Lucas, who has spent his share of time in the home clubhouse at Pohlman Field as the Snappers pitching coach, said Medeiros fought through the nerves to post one of his best outings of the season.

“It was nice to see him pitch like that,” Lucas said. “When he knew he was going to pitch, he got excited about it. He settled down during his warmups, and he really made some quality pitches.”

Medeiros currently sports a 3-2 record with a 4.50 ERA in 13 games (10 starts) and 60 innings. His past two games demonstrate the type of season it’s been for him. Prior to his near no-hit performance against the Snappers, Medeiros allowed eight hits and six runs in just three innings of work against Bowling Green.

Ah, the roller coaster ride of a teenager in the Midwest League.

“I’ve had some success and some failure,” Medeiros said. “The biggest challenge for me has been maintaining some consistency. When I do that, I’ll be fine. There have been some rough days where I have trouble spotting my pitches, and it’s just a matter of keeping those days to a minimum. And when I’ve been bad, I haven’t been able to limit the damage.

“When I do have success, it’s when I’m low in the zone, throwing strikes, letting the defense help me out, and being locked in.”

Lucas has seen Medeiros progress throughout the season.

“When you break him down stuff-wise, you see why he was drafted where he was,” Lucas said. “He’s got a 90-mile-per-hour fastball that we’ve seen up to 94, he’s working on a changeup, and he’s got a good sweeping slider. He gets a lot of groundballs, he throws enough strikes and he’s deceptive in his delivery. He’s getting better with innings and experience. He shows flashes of what he’ll be from a developmental standpoint later in his career, but he also shows at times that he’s 19 years old.

“He’s having to really figure out how to get out of some things. Whereas he was just able to overmatch hitters before, now he’s really got to work for it. Hitters are waiting him out a little bit and making him throw legitimate strikes and he’s trying to control his movement and steady his process. We’ve had a few bumps in the road, but he’s been quick to make adjustments, so that’s nice to see.”

Medeiros played a limited high school schedule and eased his way into the professional ranks last season in rookie ball. The increased workload has been an adjustment as well.

“In high school, I threw about 43 innings per season,” Medeiros said. “I wasn’t on a five-day rotation at all. We’d have our pre-season, then have about a three or four week break before our regular season would start. After that, I would have about a week between starts.

“Last year in the Arizona League, I only threw 17 innings after I got drafted, so this year has been about getting into a good routine. I’ve been feeling pretty good so far this year.”

Lucas believes that Medeiros’ future is bright, but it might be a few years before he makes it back to Miller Park.

“I absolutely think he’s got an opportunity to be a solid starter in the big leagues,” Lucas said. “He’s going to go to the big leagues with a lot of confidence when he pitches at each level a reasonable amount of time so he feels like he’s pitched out of that level. That way, he’ll be ready to make adjustments at the big league level because he’s faced so many situations on his way up the ladder.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Posted on June 18th --

St. Charles North native Hirsch set to start against Cougars

by Chris Casey, Kane County Chronicle

GENEVA – Zach Hirsch wasn’t going to allow anything to inhibit him from starting against the Cougars this time around.

Hirsch, a 2009 St. Charles North graduate and member of the Milwaukee Brewers Class-A affiliate Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, will start on the mound Thursday against the Cougars at Fifth Third Bank Ball Park in Geneva.

Here's today's feature, different source, bit of a follow-up --

Brewers farmhand Zach Hirsch makes case for promotion before friendly crowd

By Paul Johnson, Elgin Courier-News (via the Chicago Tribune)

http://www.trbimg.com/img-558b2a42/turbine/ct-ctlfl-ct-ptb-baseball-cougars-st-0619-2-jpg-20150624/750/750x422

Zach Hirsch pitches for Wisconsin in a game last week at Kane County. He is a graduate of St. Charles North. (Sean King, The Courier-News)

When St. Charles North grad Zach Hirsch strolled to the mound last Thursday at Fifth Third Bank Ballpark in Geneva to pitch for Wisconsin, he realized what kind of journey he took to get there..

Hirsch had elbow surgery when he arrived at the University of Nebraska, and went on to a successful four-year career with the Cornhuskers. When he was chosen by Milwaukee in the 19th round of the 2014 Major League Baseball draft, he was already on the verge of turning 24 years old, a late start to a professional career.

"It was tough early on at Nebraska, but I think everything happens for a reason," Hirsch said. "I had a wonderful time at Nebraska for five years (including a redshirt season). Now I have a chance to live my dream. I feel fortunate every day to be able to go out there and play, and hopefully I'll be able to do it for a while longer."

Hirsch, a 6-foot-5 left-hander, pitched the longest outing of his professional career last week against the Cougars, going eight innings in a duel with the Cougars' Wei-Chieh Huang. The Timber Rattlers lost 2-1 in 11 innings, but Hirsch showed that Milwaukee was right to take a chance on him.

"I was actually nervous, hoping that he would have a good outing," said St. Charles North coach Todd Genke, who pitched in the minor leagues for 10 years. "He told me this is really the first time he's pitched in front of his family and friends (as a pro). It's special, just having the opportunity to coach him. I was blessed to do that, to see him do well.

"I've been in his shoes. I know what it's like to go to the mound and know you have some family and friends in the stands. It's just cool."

Hirsch finished the first half of the Midwest League season hot. In his final 20 innings over three starts, he allowed only one earned run, eight hits and three walks while striking out 10. His first-half stats for Wisconsin were impressive: 2-3 with a 2.68 ERA and 0.83 WHIP in eight starts.

"It's about throwing strikes and making pitches," Hirsch said. "I'm not going to blow anybody away with my stuff. I work moving in and out with all of my pitches and I try to pitch to contact."

In a relatively thin organization — the Brewers' farm system was ranked 21st by Baseball America before the season — there is a chance Hirsch could find himself in high Class A Brevard County before long.

"That's all out of my control," Hirsch said. "The only thing I can do is continue to pitch the best I can and if that were to happen, I would feel very fortunate."

Hirsch has set himself up well, earning a bachelor's degree and working on his MBA at Nebraska. That allows him to pitch without worrying about life after baseball.

"I feel very fortunate to be able to go out and play, especially being almost 25 (he turns 25 on July 6)," Hirsch said. "It is a nice fallback, but at the same time, I want to do the thing I love for as long as I can. Having a degree definitely takes some of the pressure off."

Though biased, Genke has high hopes for Hirsch.

"Hopefully, he can get out of this league and get up to high A ball," Genke said. "From there, who knows? I'm a Brewers fan, so I'd love to see him up at Miller Park someday. Being left-handed with his size and velocity, he has a shot."

Prospect Hot Sheet (June 26): McKinney Claims The Top Spot

June 26, 2015 by Staff Report

12. Kodi Medeiros, lhp, Brewers

Team: low Class A Wisconsin (Midwest)

Why He’s Here: 2-0, 1.64, 11 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 6 BB, 12 SO

The Scoop: The story is the same this week as it has been in past weeks for Medeiros. He’s young and talented, and he generates groundballs at an incredible rate. He got 16 groundouts against six airouts over two starts this week, and that was an off week. His plus sinker and low arm slot help him keep the ball out of the air, and his plus slider and changeup have allowed him to couple the groundouts with more than a strikeout per inning.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

A guiding hand

DeMuth credits former teammate Schwarber for some of his success

By ZACK ELDRIDGE, News Dispatch (Indiana) Staff Writer

When Kyle Schwarber got called up to the Majors by the Chicago Cubs a few weeks ago, former teammate Dustin DeMuth said he was extremely happy and sent him a couple congratulatory texts.

The former La Porte High School steadfast baseball player and current Wisconsin Timber Rattler DeMuth is hoping to get called up himself, in his case, to High-A by the Milwaukee Brewers.

DeMuth said it would be very gratifying if he could possibly move up a level this season.

"It'd mean a great deal," said DeMuth, who was drafted by the Brewers with the 146th overall pick in the fifth round of the draft last year. "Work all spring training and working now. And just trying to do the best I can. That'd be kind of like a pat on the back, like you're doing 'good type of thing.' Hopefully, it does come, and hopefully it comes soon. But if it doesn't, I'm not going to hang my hat on that. I'm still playing well. And the team's starting to play a little better, and hopefully, we can make a run at the playoffs."

DeMuth was a teammate of Schwarber's for Wareham, Mass., in the Cape Cod League in the summer of 2012, and also was a teammate of Schwarber's for Indiana University from 2012-14.

"He'd help me every day," DeMuth said of Schwarber, who he was bus partners with in the Cape Cod League. "I'd talk to him about his approach and what he does to get ready mentally for each game. He's a great player, a great hitter. He knows what he's doing. I try to pick up as many things as I can from him."

Schwarber eventually got called down to Triple A Iowa, but being called back up by the Cubs is fairly imminent. He was selected fourth overall by the Cubs in last year's draft, the highest draft pick in Indiana University baseball history.

DeMuth said it's been astonishing to see Schwarber having the kind of success he's having in pro ball.

"It's been awesome," DeMuth said. "He's a great player and even better guy. It couldn't happen to a better person to be honest. He's a great guy. He's been doing really well and he's moving quick. Hopefully, next time he gets called up, the Cubs will keep him up there. I wish him the best."

So far this season, with the Class A affiliate of the Brewers, the Timber Rattlers, the third baseman DeMuth is among the team leaders in batting average at .273. He has 67 hits in 69 games with 11 doubles, four home runs and 27 RBIs. His on-base percentage is .358 and his slugging percentage is .367.

"I've been doing pretty well, a little up and down," DeMuth said. "Playing every day is a little different from college. But I've just been trying to be as consistent as possible. I'm just trying to hit the ball hard, get on base and do what I can to help the team."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Speedy Diaz burning up basepaths for Timber Rattlers

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/6e26a883174896d6483a95fec14607e469d5218b/c=121-0-3129-4010&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/2015/07/04/Appleton/B9317931918Z.1_20150704222455_000_GN5B8PFQR.1-0.jpg

The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers’ Brandon Diaz faces the Cedar Rapids Kernels during their baseball game at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium last month. (Photo: Wm. Glasheen/Post-Crescent Media)

GRAND CHUTE – He’s workout buddies with Eric Hosmer, an avid Miami Heat fan and the most explosive Wisconsin Timber Rattler on the basepaths.

Meet Brandon Diaz, an intriguing outfield prospect who has shown development in recent weeks.

The 20-year-old Diaz has some tools to work with.

Diaz — an eighth-round pick by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2013 first-year player draft — has exceptional speed and has stolen 60 bases in his 2 1/2 seasons of pro ball. He covers considerable ground in center field and has also shown some pop, with a career-high six home runs, tying him for the team lead.

Diaz plays the game with energy, calling it “the best job in the world,” and appears to be one of the better position prospects on the Timber Rattlers.

Q: You closed the month of June on a tear. What’s made a difference for you at the plate?

A: “My timing has just been there. I’ve been getting ahead in the count and not missing good pitches. When you miss a good pitch to hit, it’s hard to get another one.”

Q: You’ve also shown more power the past month. What do you attribute that to?

A: “You just hope you get a good pitch to hit and if it goes, it goes. I’m just trying to get on base, steal a bag and have someone drive me in. A home run is something that just happens.”

Q: You lead the team in steals, and speed is a huge part of your game. What have you learned about stealing bases in your 2 1/2 seasons of pro ball?

A: “A lot of it is based on times. Pitchers have different delivery times, different leg kicks or side steps. Plus, you study the catcher to see if he has a good, quick arm. You try and pick a good count to run on and get a good jump. Speed is something that’s always been a strength for me. I’ve always been told that your bat will go into slumps, but your legs won’t. That’s something I’ve never taken lightly.”

Q: You’ve played different outfield positions, but have used that speed to make some great catches in center the past month. Do you consider center your best position?

A: “Oh, I love playing center field. I played a little second base in high school, but mainly center and it’s always been my position. You have that big part of the field, the gaps, so you get to run things down. You’re in control and I love the challenge.”

Q: What’s more rewarding? Robbing an opponent of a hit with a terrific catch? Or hitting a home run?

A: “Taking away a hit. When you can run down a well-hit ball, it’s such a good feeling. You know you are helping out the pitcher and making him feel comfortable, knowing he has a good defense behind him.”

Q: You played for an elite prep baseball program in Florida at American Heritage High School. What was was that experience like?

A: “I was pretty happy I got to play there. A lot of my teammates are playing college ball now and are pretty successful. We’ve got some in the pros, too, including Eric Hosmer, who went to the World Series last year.”

Q: Do you know Hosmer?

A: “I was in seventh grade when he played at American Heritage, but I’ve gotten to know him. I’ve actually worked out with him in the offseason. He’s a great guy and his dad was one of my coaches. I like to pick his brain about playing in the majors. He says it’s a special place, but that it’s still the same game. You’re still playing baseball, just in front of a lot of fans.”

Q: Did you play any other sports in high school?

A: “It was baseball and basketball through junior high. When I got to high school, I realized I had to get a little more serious about baseball and focus on it.

Q: Didn’t the track coach try and recruit you?

A: “I probably ran track for about two weeks in middle school, and I was like, “This is too much for me.’ I’m not much of a running guy in terms of distance. I just like running the bases.”

Q: You grew up about 30 minutes from Miami. Are you a big Miami sports fan?

A: “Oh yeah. The Heat is my team. I love to go watch them play. I went to a few games a couple years ago when they won the NBA championship. Got to sit on the floor with Hosmer, who got us tickets. It was awesome. I got to see LeBron (James) play. I cheer for the the (Miami) Marlins too, and used to get to a few games when I wasn’t playing. I got to play there in high school and that was a big deal. I’m not a huge football guy.”

Q: So did you feel betrayed when LeBron left town for Cleveland?

A: “Not really. (Dwyane) Wade all the way. Wade County.”

Q: What’s it like attending a Heat game?

A: “It’s pretty crazy, a really live atmosphere. Everyone back home really supports the Heat.”

Q: You’re not old enough yet to hit the clubs, but what’s the South Beach environment like in Miami?

A: “It’s just fun to go around all the beaches and hang out. The water is so nice and there’s always a lot of music playing.”

Q: You mentioned that you like to go deep sea fishing? What do you fish for?

A: “Mainly, yellowtail, or we might go for lobster. If you’re not having a good day fishing, it’s still fun to just cruise around the water and enjoy the sun.

Q: As a South Florida guy, what was it like dealing with the cold Wisconsin spring?

A: “Early in the year, it started snowing during one of our games and that was the first time that I had seen snow. And we actually played that day. To play baseball in it, that was different, but you have to work through it. The other team has to play in it, too.”

Q: You worked out at Miller Park prior to getting drafted by the Brewers. How cool was that for an 18-year-old?

A: “Oh, it was awesome. I felt comfortable there. It was just a good feeling knowing that all your hard work was about to pay off. I got picked and now I’m trying to play there every day.”

BRANDON DIAZ

Height/Weight: 5-10, 181

Position: Center field

Residence: Coral Springs, FLA.

Bats/throws: Right/right.

Notable: Led Pioneer League in stolen bases last season with 22, while hitting .261 for Helena with four home runs and 26 RBI. Batted .286 with the Arizona Brewers in rookie league play in 2013, with three homers, 26 RBI and 21 stolen bases.

FAVORITE

MLB team growing up: “I always watched the New York Yankees. My parents grew up in the Bronx and I got to go Yankee Stadium a few times and watch them play. What a cool experience!

MLB player: “Derek Jeter. He was my role model. I just like the way he went about his business. He came to play every day. Never wanted a day off. He was my guy.”

Food: “Rice, beans and chicken. I could eat that every day.”

Musical artist/group: “Don’t really have one. I like everything from country to rap to all kinds of rock and roll.

Movie: “The Sandlot” and “Never Back Down”

Must-see TV: “I really like The Discovery Channel.”

Hobbies outside baseball: “I like deep sea fishing, playing Frisbee with my friends, and working out.”

Best advice: “Players might get more talented as you go along, but baseball is still the same game it was when you were a little kid. So just keep playing like you were five-years-old. See ball, hit ball, have fun.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Dustin DeMuth blazing own path with Brewers

Al Hamnik, NWI.com (Indiana) Times Correspondent

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/nwitimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/47/b47f70a2-5ee2-55df-9ad4-47278d050079/5599ba0116d86.preview-620.png

Imagine being in a family where everyone is so talented, even the pet cat has its own blog.

That's a joke, folks.

But Dustin DeMuth knows the feeling.

Father Dave was a three-sport standout at Highland and a former boys basketball coach at Connersville, mother Judy was once the Highland superintendent, and sisters Julie and Jenny played Division I basketball.

That's a tough act to follow and the 6-foot-3, 200-pound LaPorte graduate is holding his own with the Milwaukee Brewers' Class A affiliate, the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

"I wouldn't say I was pressured," DeMuth said, looking back at his childhood. "I was definitely pushed towards sports but if I didn't play sports, I wasn't going to be looked down upon by the family. They always say the youngest is the best one so I try to prove that to them.

"I've been happy playing sports my whole life and I continue to be happy. Hopefully, I can play baseball the rest of my life and not get a real job."

DeMuth began the Fourth of July weekend as the Timber Rattlers' team leader in hits (71), total bases (95), RBIs (27) and games played (71).

The .282 hitter was second in walks while being used at first base, third and as a designated hitter.

"I'm just trying to get good swings, use all fields and be as consistent as possible," DeMuth said. "I'm not trying to do too much. I'm not trying to hit a four-run homer every time up at bat.

"They kinda let you play and figure it out on your own until there's a major struggle -- then they'll step in."

Minor league ball often has its dog days as well.

"No one's 100 percent (healthy). Everyone knows that," DeMuth said. "Yeah, there's days you're more tired than others but at the end of the day, you have to come out and perform just like you did the day before.

"You have to try to not let (fatigue) get in your head. You have to trick yourself into believing you're not tired."

Baseball will drive you crazy if you can't make contact with the ball and you become a human corkscrew like Adam Dunn was late in his career with the White Sox.

"It's one of the most frustrating things in the game when you swing at a pitch you don't want to swing at or swing at a pitch in the dirt and don't get a hit," DeMuth said.

"Being in a game of failure, you got to realize you're going to fail seven out of 10 times (at bat) and if you do that, you're probably going to be in the big leagues."

DeMuth was an eighth-round pick of the Twins in the 2013 MLB June Amateur draft and a fifth-round selection of the Brewers in 2014.

He saw his baseball future brighten considerably while starring at Indiana University, adding the dream isn't over and the goal not yet accomplished.

"I have to keep working, do the best I can, year in and year out, pitch after pitch," DeMuth said.

"Hopefully, with all the work I put in, I'll be able to make it."

• 2 weeks later...
Community Moderator

Timber Rattlers’ Nathan Kirby eased back to mound

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/fe07b4234723d882e8b3da0522cf5d01292bc83a/c=327-0-3249-2197&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/07/25/Appleton/B9318210526Z.1_20150725170212_000_GDDBENOCM.1-0.jpg

GRAND CHUTE – Nathan Kirby was jacked after throwing the final pitch to win college baseball’s greatest prize and wanted to celebrate with gusto.

But Kirby’s instincts told him to do something else: Get out of the way and don’t get buried on the bottom of the victory dog pile.

“One thing I learned the last couple years is don’t get near the bottom of the dog pile,” said Kirby, with a laugh Friday, while describing the wild postgame scene after his University of Virginia team won the College World Series on June 23. “I got out of there, circled a few times and jumped in near the top.”

The former Cavaliers all-American is following the same safe and smart path of self-preservation in his first month of professional baseball. Kirby, a highly regarded left-hander who was selected by Milwaukee with the 40th overall pick in the 2015 Major League Baseball draft, is starting his pro career with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, but the Brewers are easing him into the process following an injury-shortened college season.

Kirby has yet to be activated and is working closely with Timber Rattlers trainer Jeff Paxon to rebuild arm strength and stamina after missing nine weeks of the NCAA season due to a strained latissimus dorsi muscle in his left shoulder. He won’t pitch in a game until after Aug. 1 and the Brewers’ first-year plan for Kirby is to be patient and conservative with him.

“I came back pretty quickly just to get ready for the World Series,” said Kirby, who left Virginia following his junior season. “When you come off any injury like that, or any injury with the arm, the first thing you have to do is build the rest of your body up because the rehab itself is mostly for your arm.

“Doing rehab and getting the arm strength back is different from throwing off a mound and using your whole body. It’s definitely coming along and I’m excited to hopefully get back out there pretty soon. The lat strain is a thing of the past. I don’t even think about that anymore.”

During Kirby’s physical examination with the Brewers, a medical concern unrelated to the lat strain was also discovered and proved to be costly for him. According to various reports, Kirby had agreed to a signing bonus above the recommended slot value of $1,545,400. But once Milwaukee learned of the new medical issue, the Brewers reduced the offer before Kirby agreed to a signing bonus of $1.25 million on July 17, a few hours before the signing deadline.

Milwaukee hasn’t disclosed the medical issue and Kirby politely declined to reveal it.

“That’s something that has to stay between the Brewers and I, but I’m here and ready to throw,” said Kirby, 21. “I’ve told everybody that I never play the game for the money. That (money) is just something that comes with it. A lot of people don’t get this opportunity and I’m happy to be here.”

Had Kirby stayed healthy last season, chances are he would have been drafted much higher. He entered the 2015 season projected as one of college baseball’s top left-handed pitching prospects and a potential top-10 pick.

“I have no idea how high I might have gone,” he said. “That’s a thing of the past. The injury was frustrating because I wanted to be out there. I think I missed nine weeks, but it felt more like two years.”

Limited to 12 games and 11 starts in 2015, Kirby went 5-3 with a 2.53 ERA and 81 strikeouts in 64 innings, while holding opponents to a .236 batting average. His only relief stint was the two-inning, five-strikeout World Series save he earned in clinching Virginia’s first NCAA baseball championship.

“I told our coach I was just going to go out there and throw as hard as I can and hopefully it goes over the plate,” said Kirby. “It was hard to treat it like a relief appearance just because it was the final six outs of the season. It was a rollercoaster of a ride all season and it was an exciting time. I still can’t believe it happened.”

Kirby had a career record of 18-7 at Virginia with a 2.83 ERA. A native of Midlothian, Virginia (just west of Richmond), Kirby was the state’s Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year his senior season at James River High School in Chesterfield County.

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound Kirby throws a low-to-mid 90s fastball, a slider, a curve and a change-up.

“He spins the ball real good,” said Timber Rattlers pitching coach Gary Lucas. “He’s got a tight breaking ball. Sometimes it looks like a curve; sometimes it looks like a slider. He throws hard. He’s got movement and the makings of a real good change-up.”

When he’s ready, Kirby will join a Rattlers pitching staff that includes young talents like Kodi Medeiros, Milwaukee’s first-round pick in 2014, and Cody Ponce, a second-round pick taken 15 picks after Kirby in last month’s draft.

“He (Kirby) has stuff,” said Lucas. “We just want to make sure he’s strong and healthy and recovered from his college season. From what I’ve been told by the Brewers’ people, we need to move slow with him. He’s an enthusiastic guy and it’s good to have him here. We’ll get him going in early August.”

That would be just fine with Kirby, who is seeing Wisconsin for the first time.

“Whenever the time comes to pitch, I’ll be ready,” said Kirby. “I’ve been having a blast since I’ve been here and I feel this is a pretty good match for me right now. I just can’t wait to get out there and pitch.”

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Timber Rattlers’ Ponce has tools to make it big

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/0a8acabc684d94d78d3e3969e23e3a3bdb76eabd/c=0-220-2643-3744&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/2015/08/01/Appleton/B9318284909Z.1_20150801183319_000_GSABGP01S.1-0.jpg

Cody Ponce is off to a strong start as a professional after pitching at Division II Cal Poly Pomona. (Photo courtesy of Ann Mollica)

GRAND CHUTE – He pitched at a Division II school, but everything else about Cody Ponce seems big.

There is nothing small about his physical size (6-foot-6, 240 pounds), signing bonus ($1,108,000) and outgoing personality.

The Milwaukee Brewers have a large investment in the California native after making him the 55th overall pick in the June draft.

And if Milwaukee guessed right on Ponce, the small-school product will be working in the big leagues someday.

The second-round pick is off to a fine start with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers after launching his pro career with a brief two-game stint at Helena. In three starts with Wisconsin, the right-hander from Cal Poly Pomona has posted a 1-1 mark with a 1.42 ERA and 14 strikeouts in 19 innings.

Q: Just seven weeks ago, you were a Division II college pitcher. Now you’re a high pick of the Brewers and have already been promoted. What’s the past few months been like?

A: It’s been fun. It’s been a journey for sure. Getting on a plane. Getting off a plane. Playing in Helena for a couple weeks and coming up here. It’s been a blast. What can you do except have fun? I have a great pitching coach here (Gary Lucas). He’s teaching me a lot. I just feel very blessed.

Q: You notched your first professional win earlier this week. How did that feel?

A: Felt great. One down, hopefully a lot more to go.

Q: You were one of five Cal Poly Pomona players selected in the June draft. That’s remarkable for a Division II program. What makes that program so good?

A: We have a great program over there. If you don’t go D-I, I’d 120 percent recommend it to anyone. We all knew what we had in store for this year and none of us were really too worried about going in the draft. We had our sights set on winning a national championship for our school. We got to the NCAA championship in North Carolina for the first time in 30 years (finishing third). So we made some strides.

Q: Did you attract much interest coming out of high school?

A: There were very few offers. I wasn’t very heavily scouted coming out of high school. That was no problem, because I was 6-4 and didn’t know where my body parts were going. But I was always told that if you’re good, they’re going to find you.

Q: You missed some time early in the college season with a sore shoulder. What impact did that have on your season?

A: Things are going to happen. You’re going to have little hiccups as you go along in your career. It sidelined me four weeks. I’d say it actually made me better. It made me aware of what I had to work on in terms of gaining strength and making sure my body was in shape. It was kind of a blessing in disguise.

Q: Before becoming a starter at Cal Poly Pomona, you were the team’s closer your freshman year and tied a program record for single-season saves. What do you think your role will be in pro ball?

A: In my mindset, I’m a starter, but coming here and doing the tandem rotation, it’s kind of nice being able to close a ballgame once in awhile and letting it fly instead of having to hold back. Being a closer is a different animal, that’s for sure. But whatever the Brewers want me to do, I’ll be more than happy to do it.

Q: You turned a lot of scouts’ heads by making the all-star team in the Cape Cod League during the summer of 2014. What kind of experience was that?

A: That was a great experience. It definitely kind of kicked me off. Put my name on the map. It’s a great league. You have all the top guys out there. The top guys are either going to go to the Northwoods League, Alaska or Cape Cod. You have all these D-I guys and being a D-II guy out there was a blast. Everyone always talks about the Cape Cod League and I always wanted to play in it when I was growing up. I had the opportunity to play for the Brewster Whitecaps. It was a great group of guys and I made a lot of friends.

Q: What were your emotions when the Brewers drafted you in the second round?

A: Actually, I cried a lot. It was an opportunity to have my dream come true and I am very grateful to the Brewers. I worked my butt off, but I got lucky and feel blessed the Brewers gave me this opportunity. It’s a great organization. They keep their guys and allow them to develop.

Q: You’re a big guy. Did you play any other sports in high school?

A: I played football my first two years. I was a quarterback, a pocket quarterback who could throw the ball a little. But I was just starting to grow into my body and I wasn’t one of the top guys. So I figured I’d better stick with baseball, and it got me here.

Q: Do you come from a baseball family?

A: My mom was a volleyball player and my dad was mostly a football guy. He was an outside linebacker. I think that’s where I got my mental toughness. People ask me sometimes if I was born to be a baseball player. And, actually, my mom and dad had a baseball in my crib from Day 1. So, I guess you could say that.

Q: What was it like growing up in Upland (about an hour from Los Angeles)?

A: It’s a great city to live in and a beautiful place. I have a lot of buddies that come from there and some are playing in the minor leagues. It’s about 70,000 people, so it’s not too small of a town. But it’s small enough where everyone kind of knows who you are. Driving around, everybody is like, ‘There’s Cody.’ I have a red truck, so it’s hard to miss me. I got to live at home with my parents for those three years in college and that kept me on the right track.

Q: Are you a big L.A. sports fan?

A: I was mainly a baseball fan growing up. I went to a lot of Angels games because it was a closer drive than L.A., but I’d always wear my Dodgers jersey because I was a Dodgers guy. I grew up a Lakers fan, too. My grandfather loved to watch the Lakers. I grew up watching Kobe (Bryant) and Shaq (Shaquille O’Neal) and Karl Malone.

Q: You were a kinesiology major in college. What interests you about that field?

A: I wanted to become an orthopedic salesman. My grandfather was a mobile home salesman, so I’ve been told I have the salesman gene in me. People call me a people person.

Favorites

MLB team growing up: The Dodgers. My mom was an Angels fan and my dad was always in the middle. He’d choose whoever had won last night. When it came down to Dodgers versus Angels, my mom and I would always have fun in the household.

MLB player: Eric Gagne. Just the way he was a mad man on the mound. Now, I’d probably go with Clayton Kershaw.

Food: I love lasagna and also love steak.

Musical artist/group: I’m a country guy. It would probably have to be George Strait.

Must-see TV: I love ‘House of Cards.’ It’s a great show. And ‘Gossip Girl.’ You’ve got to love Gossip Girl.

Movie: That’s tough. Either ‘The Natural,’ ‘Rookie of the Year’ or ‘The Sandlot.’

Advice: It’s from my pitching coach, Dave Coggins, who has worked with me since middle school. He always used to tell me, ‘Just keep working. Don’t stop no matter where you are at. There’s always going to be someone behind you coming up.’

A Closer Look

Height/weight: 6-6, 240.

Position: Pitcher.

Bats/throws: Right/right.

Residence: Upland, Calif.

Brewers: Minor league lefty Kodi Medeiros living up to first-round status

By Dennis Punzel, Madison.com

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/host.madison.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/d4/ed46a188-c8ce-54bc-8e95-25325ada9499/55c2a5e3ac526.image.jpg?resize=699%2C1049

GRAND CHUTE — Bruce Lee or Madison Bumgarner?

As a youngster growing up in Hawaii, it was no contest for Kodi Medeiros.

“My brother and I were heavily into judo then,” Medeiros said. “We were all about martial arts while growing up.”

But the Medeiros brothers’ athletic fortunes took a turn when Kodi was about 10 years old. His brother Korin, two years older, made a deal with a buddy that he would play baseball with him for a year and brought his little brother along.

“I really didn’t want to play,” Kodi recalled. “But I started playing catch and stuff and I fell in love with the sport.”

And the sport has loved him back. Medeiros blossomed into one of the top pitching prospects in the nation and was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the first round (12th overall) of the 2014 First-Year Player Draft.

After a brief introduction to pro baseball last summer with the Brewers’ Rookie team in Arizona, Medeiros has taken a big step forward this year with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers of the Class A Midwest League.

Medeiros, who turned 19 in May, has held his own against mostly older, more experienced competition, compiling a 4-2 record and 4.09 ERA with 80 strikeouts in 811/3 innings. Along the way the 6-foot-2, 205-pound left-hander has shown flashes of why he has drawn comparisons to major league aces Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants and Chris Sale of the Chicago White Sox.

While he’s shorter and more compact than either of them, he has the same low three-quarters arm slot that helps give the movement on his fastball and sharp-breaking slider. Previously, pitchers like that were typecast as relief specialists, but the success of Bumgarner and Sale has altered that notion.

“A lot of guys ask me where do I see him, as a starter or a situational guy,” Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson said. “I really see him as a starter. With that sinker and that big breaking ball and developing a changeup, you have the stuff there to go through a lineup a number of times.”

Medeiros, whose brother now is an infielder at Hawaii-Hilo, said the low arm slot just evolved naturally.

“When I first started playing I think my slot was a little higher,” he said. “As I started throwing harder, I didn’t try to change anything, but my slot just naturally fell into where I’ve been throwing the last five or six years. I get good deception and I’m able to maintain my velocity from that low arm slot.

“Chris Sale, he’s a lot funkier than I am. He’s got those long arms, long legs. I like to compare my game to Bumgarner. Having him be successful it’s pretty big for a guy like me having pretty much the same slot and similar throwing motion.

“I love modeling my game after them. Every time they’re on TV and I have the opportunity to watch them, I’m definitely there watching it, especially Bumgarner. I watch how he sets up hitters, what he throws in certain counts and just watch his mechanics.”

Timber Rattlers pitching coach Gary Lucas said Medeiros reminds him of Kenny Rogers, who started out as a reliever with the Texas Rangers but went on to become an All-Star as a starter and won 219 games over 20 seasons.

“Kenny Rogers threw the ball low and he had movement and velocity, could change speeds,” said Lucas, who pitched in the majors for eight seasons. “I don’t know if Kodi will turn out to be that, but he brings all that at a young age.”

One of Medeiros’ biggest adjustments has been facing more experienced hitters. In Hawaii he overmatched just about everybody as he compiled a 7-1 record with an 0.97 ERA as a senior at Waiakea High School, allowing just 14 hits in 431/3 innings while striking out 83.

“In high school I wouldn’t have to set up batters,” he said. “Whatever I threw around the zone guys would chase. Up here you have to worry about moving fastballs in and out. Last year I just tried to blow it past guys and once I got two strikes, I’d try to put him away with my slider. Now in pro ball I have to learn to set up hitters and move my fastball inside and out and be consistent.”

Lucas said Medeiros already has become more efficient with his pitches, getting outs early in the count with his fastball.

“He doesn’t get squared up a lot by hitters,” Lucas said.

“There’s not a lot of hard contact off him right now when he’s in the zone. There’s a lot of ground balls, a lot of off-balance swings against the slider.”

One of the highlights of the season for Medeiros came on June 19 when he pitched one-hit ball for 51/3 innings in a victory over the Beloit Snappers at Miller Park.

“It was amazing to get to pitch there,” he said. “It was awesome getting treated like a big leaguer. It’s all stuff to look forward to in the future. It kind of gave me that extra drive, just as a reminder that this is what it would be like to play in the big leagues. It was just an awesome experience. I’d love to get to do it again.”

Both Erickson and Lucas lauded Medeiros’ work ethic and suggest it will serve him well as he moves up through the system over the next few years.

“He’s got the whole package,” Lucas said. “He has everything you want as a coach. He’s got the stuff and he absorbs information. I’m very enthused about his chances and his ceiling.”

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nothing against RHP Josh Uhen (Time Warner Cable's Bob Brainerd's latest Timber Rattlers player profile), but it'll be nice when Uhen earns his way to Brevard, because the UW-Milwaukee product has had more than his share of feature stories as the local guy.

That being said, even if you think you've read it before, Brainerd gets so much from his interviewees, there's always some new tidbits, so enjoy...

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

All-Encompassing

By Bob Brainerd

Everything is bigger in Texas. So goes the famous expression of the folks hailing from the second largest state in America. Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Shortstop Blake Allemand could easily justify requesting a refund. While the roster lists Allemand at 5 foot 10 inches on a 170 pound frame, nowhere does it document the size of his heart.

Full article at link...

Archived