Brewer Fanatic

Nelson Hit Hard In Minor League Game...

wildcat2237
Jeff Samardzija has 7 years in the majors with 3.85 ERA and was an All Star last year with a 2.99 ERA. Nelson has about a half a year of MLB experience with not so great results. Can't really compare the two.

Yes they are comparable. Both guys had spots in their rotation lined up regardless of their spring results. Nelson came to camp as the Brewers #5 starter. He wasn't in a competition. Like Samardzija he was free to work on whatever he needed without having to fret over losing his spot. In a few days both will be 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA.

I totally discount what he did in a minor league game on a hard field in Arizona. I'm sure he was using that to work on some aspect of his game. The only concern I would have was if he was walking a bunch of guys. He's walked one hitter and fanned 9 in 13 innings in major league games and allowed just one HR.

Jeff Samardzija has 7 years in the majors with 3.85 ERA and was an All Star last year with a 2.99 ERA. Nelson has about a half a year of MLB experience with not so great results. Can't really compare the two.

Yes they are comparable. Both guys had spots in their rotation lined up regardless of their spring results. Nelson came to camp as the Brewers #5 starter. He wasn't in a competition. Like Samardzija he was free to work on whatever he needed without having to fret over losing his spot. In a few days both will be 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA.

So basically what you are saying is that they are comparable because they are both starting MLB pitchers. So, I'm guessing you would also say that Khris Davis is comparable to Andrew McCutchen. Sure, by that logic, pretty much anything or anyone is comparable...that doesn't mean they are the same. I would replace Nelson with Samardzija in the rotation in a heartbeat, even if Samardzija had an ERA of 11 in spring training.

I believe Nelson can be a very good MLB pitcher someday. Maybe he shows that this year, but as of now he has not given any indication of that (and doesn't have several years of quality MLB starts on his resume). I think some of us just believe that Nelson performing well this year is a key factor to the Brewers being successful this year and we are concerned that he may not quite be up to that task yet (and we also don't believe the Brewers have a viable backup option). I also think that most of us that hold that belief hope that we are wrong.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Oh yeah, btw. My friend of many, many years stated he had to be removed from work outside in Arz due to heat the other day. How big an impact was the weather? He said something like 98 that day if they both mix. Something to consider. I've told others if I were Tiger Woods (prime) golfing ability and the temp were 90s and above, having to wear slacks. I'd withdraw from the tourney, regardless of the millions I'd have to pass on. I can't stand 80+ for temps. Maybe Nelson is like that?

Look, I'm not saying he's a lost cause based on what he did in Milwaukee last year, and ST this year. In fact, I'm not even saying he shouldn't be the 5th starter. It's time, and there really aren't any other options that would be better.

With that said, I don't think it's fair to say he'll be fine, no problem, either. You can be optimistic, but there's no way of knowing he'll be just fine- especially with the way he's been pitching. He's been working on his other pitches, but obviously he's not comfortable with them yet. He hasn't been able to control them. So how confident do you think he'll be using those pitches in an actual MLB game? When in doubt, he'll go fastball and everyone knows it. And I still don't believe his fastball is live enough to rely on that alone.

So basically what you are saying is that they are comparable because they are both starting MLB pitchers. So, I'm guessing you would also say that Khris Davis is comparable to Andrew McCutchen. Sure, by that logic, pretty much anything or anyone is comparable...that doesn't mean they are the same. I would replace Nelson with Samardzija in the rotation in a heartbeat, even if Samardzija had an ERA of 11 in spring training.

I believe Nelson can be a very good MLB pitcher someday. Maybe he shows that this year, but as of now he has not given any indication of that (and doesn't have several years of quality MLB starts on his resume). I think some of us just believe that Nelson performing well this year is a key factor to the Brewers being successful this year and we are concerned that he may not quite be up to that task yet (and we also don't believe the Brewers have a viable backup option). I also think that most of us that hold that belief hope that we are wrong.

That is not what he is saying at all. He was saying players who are not competing for a job in spring approach spring differently that those who are. If you have a job wrapped up results are of no importance at all. You can throw your worst pitch 20 times in a row knowing ten of them are going to be hit and not care. You are looking to get a feel for the pitch. What the hitter does with that pitch is of little consequence.

If you do not have a job wrapped up in spring you have to show you are capable of getting results. Thus you would show your best stuff and not use your worst stuff.

When good players are working on their weakness and mediocre players are showing their strength that can make good players look worse than mediocre players.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I can't stand 80+ for temps. Maybe Nelson is like that?

Great, so he won't be able to pitch at all in July/August, or any road games all year in AZ, TX, FL, Atlanta, etc.?

Well, he was born & raised in Alabama (including going to 'Bama for college)... so I'm guessing he's quite used to dealing with heat.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No, I just mean, extreme heat. My buddy in over 15 years of working never ever was removed from work outdoors due to heat. he did so the other day (yesterday he exclaimed so I guess Sunday?) Just a potential reason for the effort given. Heat-higher juiced balls too. It's Spring. First weather day like this maybe experienced since last summer. Adjustments/acclimated to it is all I'm suggesting if this was the first. So it can be reasoned even easier. He's a 6'6" 240+lb man not a tiny man. Heat will definitely affect him more fatigue-wise than somebody smaller.

I think Nelson will end up a very good relief pitcher... 8th inning guy like Wade Davis.... I will go further and predict success for him in that role on another team than the Brewers
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Just thought everyone should know he went 7 innings giving up a pair of ground ball singles, zero runs, and struck out 9.

Sorry I wasn't concerned about a minor league spring training game...you guys were right. Might have to send him to Single A.

Just thought everyone should know he went 7 innings giving up a pair of ground ball singles, zero runs, and struck out 9.

Sorry I wasn't concerned about a minor league spring training game...you guys were right. Might have to send him to Single A.

Could probably do without the tone and told ya so. That said, it is just one start. I think he will be fine, but I'm not going to let one start change my mind.

I liked MrTPlush's tone. People were declaring him done, injured, or simply ineffective. When a guy is a lock for the roster, you don't worry about Spring Training. He was always a lock

To each their own. Just because a few say something doesn't make it the consensus, just like 1 start doesn't mean it isn't true. I say this as someone who isn't worried about Nelson. The last guy I remember with a told ya so attitude was a real treat to read.

I liked MrTPlush's tone. People were declaring him done, injured, or simply ineffective. When a guy is a lock for the roster, you don't worry about Spring Training. He was always a lock

To each their own. Just because a few say something doesn't make it the consensus, just like 1 start doesn't mean it isn't true. I say this as someone who isn't worried about Nelson. The last guy I remember with a told ya so attitude was a real treat to read.

I say it like that just because of how bad people were treating that one spring training start. That and the fact that not only did he pitch well, but he was pretty dominant while doing so. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come. Would be nice to have to have a homegrown duo of Nelson/Peralta.

And for the record I would not have said anything if it were just a good start...but the fact he was go dominant I couldn't resist.

Archived