Brewer Fanatic

Infield- 2016 and Beyond

FVBrewerFan
Um, what? Last year there were only 17 MLB players that put up an OPS over .850 and only 1 of them was a 3B. All MLB 3B put up a .715 OPS last year.

Offensive numbers down last couple years. Find me another hitter like ARam that consistently put up .850 - .900 ops seasons. Don't waste our time with Segura.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

A corner IF that has a OPS of .750 is not an option.(and even that seems high for him) It just isn't. This team will suck badly if Segura is our 3B. I don't care how good Arcia or Sardinas is if it means Segura at 3B our offense will suck. Plain old suck. Your 3B has to be getting into the .850 range constantly with over .900 here and there. If he's not, then you need to find someone who can.

I don't think Segura is terrible. Just a terrible, horrible, abysmal choice for 3B on any major league club. Heck, his OPS wouldn't be good enough for college teams.

Um, what? Last year there were only 17 MLB players that put up an OPS over .850 and only 1 of them was a 3B. All MLB 3B put up a .715 OPS last year.

So why should we settle for average? Why not get way above that average if possible?

Lara at 3B in 2018 or 2019 so they can shop for a 35 year old who still has 2-3 years left in FA/trade
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

A corner IF that has a OPS of .750 is not an option.(and even that seems high for him) It just isn't. This team will suck badly if Segura is our 3B. I don't care how good Arcia or Sardinas is if it means Segura at 3B our offense will suck. Plain old suck. Your 3B has to be getting into the .850 range constantly with over .900 here and there. If he's not, then you need to find someone who can.

I don't think Segura is terrible. Just a terrible, horrible, abysmal choice for 3B on any major league club. Heck, his OPS wouldn't be good enough for college teams.

So why should we settle for average? Why not get way above that average if possible?

An .850 OPS is not "way above average." It's superstar level. No Brewer has done that in a full season since 2012.

Of course... if Braun's back to his 2007-2012 form, he could always move back to the hot corner. There are some outfield prospects, and enough to make things interesting...

As Ironhide said in the original Transformers, "It's an option..."

No. Just no. Stop it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Offensive numbers down last couple years. Find me another hitter like ARam that consistently put up .850 - .900 ops seasons. Don't waste our time with Segura.

Meh, you are looking for an unicorn. At least Segura has put a 850 OPS for a half of a season so it is not like it is impossible he could be the answer.

Of course... if Braun's back to his 2007-2012 form, he could always move back to the hot corner. There are some outfield prospects, and enough to make things interesting...

No. Just no. Stop it.

If Braun is back to his 2007-2012 form, it means an average OPS of .943, and an average of 34 homers and 107 RBI. Adrian Beltre is the only third baseman in the majors who even comes close in terms of OPS, and he is still 64 points behind in OPS, not to mention being short by 15 home runs and 30 RBI. Josh Donaldson is the only third baseman (29 HR, 98 RBI last year) who would come close in terms of the homer and RBI totals. Donaldson's OPS was 145 points lower than Braun's 2007-2012 totals.

In the 2007-2012 seasons, Braun's OPS was 70 points higher than Aramis Ramirez's. If he takes over, that's an undeniable offensive upgrade at third base. In fact, should Braun be back to form, he will regularly be among the top third basemen in OPS, homers and RBI for years to come.

That opens up right field - so if the Brewers make a run for Justin Upton in free agency. Then take Acria or Segura and use them with Victor Roache as the centerpiece to make a trade for either a first basemen (if the decision is to keep Lucroy behind the plate) or a #1 starter (if Lucroy moves to first).

Offensively, that is a 2016 lineup that can have its way with the pitching staffs of the Cubs, Cardinals, and Pirates...

No. Just no. Stop it.

If Braun is back to his 2007-2012 form, it means an average OPS of .943, and an average of 34 homers and 107 RBI. Adrian Beltre is the only third baseman in the majors who even comes close in terms of OPS, and he is still 64 points behind in OPS, not to mention being short by 15 home runs and 30 RBI. Josh Donaldson is the only third baseman (29 HR, 98 RBI last year) who would come close in terms of the homer and RBI totals. Donaldson's OPS was 145 points lower than Braun's 2007-2012 totals.

In the 2007-2012 seasons, Braun's OPS was 70 points higher than Aramis Ramirez's. If he takes over, that's an undeniable offensive upgrade at third base. In fact, should Braun be back to form, he will regularly be among the top third basemen in OPS, homers and RBI for years to come.

That opens up right field - so if the Brewers make a run for Justin Upton in free agency. Then take Acria or Segura and use them with Victor Roache as the centerpiece to make a trade for either a first basemen (if the decision is to keep Lucroy behind the plate) or a #1 starter (if Lucroy moves to first).

Offensively, that is a 2016 lineup that can have its way with the pitching staffs of the Cubs, Cardinals, and Pirates...

I'm assuming you did watch him play when he was lining up at 3B, but every time you post about Braun to 3B I swear it's like you got the Men In Black memory-wipe regarding his defense... like it never even existed.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Your 3B has to be getting into the .850 range constantly with over .900 here and there. If he's not, then you need to find someone who can.

Your only option is to trade for Andre Beltre. He was the only 3B last year to have a .850+ OPS.

If you want to expand it to over the last three years you can add in David Wright (2012), Matt Carpenter (2013), Chase Headley (2012) and Josh Donaldson (2013). Getting any of those guys is going to cost a lot.

A-Ram did it in 2012 as well. Only Beltre and A-Ram have produced .900+ OPS at 3B over the last five years.

I'm assuming you did watch him play when he was lining up at 3B, but every time you post about Braun to 3B I swear it's like you got the Men In Black memory-wipe regarding his defense... like it never even existed.

Assume that Braun returns to his 2007-2012 form, and posts a .943 OPS. That comes in 64 points higher than Beltre, and no other third basemen are within 100 OPS points of Braun. When you take the two players whose 29 homers lead major league third basemen in 2014, Braun's OPS exceeds theirs by 145 and 148 points respectively. Looking at the top three RBI leaders among third basement, you get the same 145, 148, and the #3 trails Braun's OPS by 219 points.

With that sort of offensive differential, quite frankly, I think Braun's shortcomings on defense become irrelevant - or at least warrant a lot of leeway. I'd felt that way before, given his offensive performance. Looking at the disparity between Braun and the other top third basemen... in my mind, moving him back to third base is even more of a no-brainer.

Dude look at the link above. Lucroy could play SS better than Braun could play 3rd .

I've seen the link. But in the case of Braun, I think the defensive shortcomings remain irrelevant when he is 64 points above Beltre, and over 100 points better than those third basemen NOT named Beltre.

Lucroy's .837 OPS only comes in about 20 points higher than the best NL shortstop (Henley Ramirez), not even a third of the 64-point differential between Braun and Beltre. To even match that 64 points, there are two other shortstops as well (Peralta and Castro). Lucroy's offensive stats don't warrant that sort of extraordinary move, especially when he is the second-best offensive catcher in the majors (only Posey is better). Furthermore, even if Segura slumps, there is Orlando Arcia to handle short. Or Yadiel Rivera

The Brewers don't have a lot of third base options, either in the immediate farm system (AA/AAA) or free agency. I'm not sold on Gatewood, and Lara's four to five years away if the Brewers are lucky.

Archived