Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers sign Hector Olivera - 6-years, $62.5M

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cuban infielder Hector Olivera has signed with the Dodgers for six-years and $62.5 million, including a $28 million signing bonus. Olivera is 29 years old. He missed all of 2012 with a blood clot, and when he returned in 2013, he still hit for a good average, but his power had diminished (plus he played mostly DH). He walks a lot, and doesn't strike out. Combine that with his good BA, he gets on base over 40% of the time. There were some rumors that he had a damaged UCL, but that hasn't come up of late.

It's Monopoly money to LA. It's crazy how much they've spent on guys. It's not like Olivera is a sure thing. There are question marks.

Oh well, I guess good for them. If the money is burning a hole in their pockets, they have to spend it on something.

Burning a hole in their pocket is putting it lightly. According to Cot's https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/nl-west/los-angeles-dodgers/

They went from having a 40 man total of $109,865,640 (ranking 12th in Baseball) at the end of 2011. Since then? ....

Year - Year Begin - Year End (MLB Rank)

2012 - $105,419,833 - $158,258,570 (6)

2013 - $216,753,286 - $236,872,242 (2)

2014 - $229,335,934 - $277,737,082 (1)

2015 - They are already on the hook for $262 million for this year and that was before this signing: http://www.truebluela.com/2013/10/21/4861112/los-angeles-dodgers-payroll

They couldn't give the cash away quicker. Simply astounding.

Alexander Guerrero would be an interesting trade target for the Brewers now, except he apparently has a provision where he can opt out of his deal after 2015 if he's traded, so not really.

I've already seen the Brewers linked to Guerrero in trade rumors, and he makes sense if they can somehow ensure team control for the next few seasons because he can spell Scooter in 2015 and hopefully take over 3B in 2016.

I don't understand what the Dodgers' issue with him is. He crushed AAA pitching for a .329/.364/.613 line last season despite getting derailed by that incident where Miguel Olivo bit his ear off. It sounds like there are substantial concerns about he defense (but he was a SS in Cuba), but he has hit very well and is in his prime physically.

Alexander Guerrero would be an interesting trade target for the Brewers now, except he apparently has a provision where he can opt out of his deal after 2015 if he's traded, so not really.

I've already seen the Brewers linked to Guerrero in trade rumors, and he makes sense if they can somehow ensure team control for the next few seasons because he can spell Scooter in 2015 and hopefully take over 3B in 2016.

I don't understand what the Dodgers' issue with him is. He crushed AAA pitching for a .329/.364/.613 line last season despite getting derailed by that incident where Miguel Olivo bit his ear off. It sounds like there are substantial concerns about he defense (but he was a SS in Cuba), but he has hit very well and is in his prime physically.

I'd love to pickup Guerrero. Definitely a good fit as a replacement for Ramirez. Would be a great utility man this year too.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm just wondering when MLB will realize that it would be cheaper to simply buy Cuba than it is to offer these contracts to the players.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived