Brewer Fanatic

If the Brewers Played a Lame Duck Season...

The NFL finally caved and announced they wouldn't have anymore blackout rules. It always bugged me that I couldn't get the MLB.tv subscription because I couldn't watch Brewers home games subject to the blackout rules. I understand that somewhat if you live a short distance from the stadium, but living in 2 hours away in Green Bay seemed like quite a stretch to be included in the blackout area.
Gruber Lawffices

Well first of all it depends on why they move. If they want a new stadium and Milwaukee is not giving it to them I might continue to follow the Brewers. On the flip side if the owners just want out then I would probably find a new team.

The Cubs would be a possible transfer of fandom or since this would be so far in the future maybe the D'Backs as I hope to live there someday.

However I don't ever see them moving after the surge in popularity the last 15 years. If the Bucks can somehow stay here then I'd hope the Brewers could too...no one even cares about the Bucks outside of the Milwaukee area.

I probably wouldn't root for the Brewers any more if they moved.

Chances are, I wouldn't become a fan of any other team, but the funny thing is, if I was going to cheer for anyone even casually, it would probably be the Braves, as I live in metro Atlanta. And with the new stadium being built near me and within walking distance from my wife's office, it would be very easy to go to games.

My dad was a big Milwaukee Braves fan, but his allegiance was to the city, not the team, so he dropped his fandom when they moved and then picked it up again with the Brewers. So, if the nightmare scenario happened, it is conceivable that I could end up the exact reverse of my dad.

The NFL finally caved and announced they wouldn't have anymore blackout rules. It always bugged me that I couldn't get the MLB.tv subscription because I couldn't watch Brewers home games subject to the blackout rules. I understand that somewhat if you live a short distance from the stadium, but living in 2 hours away in Green Bay seemed like quite a stretch to be included in the blackout area.

Try missing the the Braves series from 250 and the Nats from 400 miles away. Heard they were looking to loosen the blackout restrictions this year, but not sure exactly what effect that'll have.

I would follow them until they left as well. Just soak it in. It would really suck. I love baseball so I feel I would take another team on. Don't be mad at me everyone, but I think I'd pick the Cubs??? Close to WI, I've always loved Wrigley, there is just something about the history, lovable losers. I grew up watching them on WGN. I just loved watching baseball so if they were on, or the braves, I'd probably be watching. It also doesn't hurt that they will have some very exciting times coming up soon.

JohnBriggs, those posts were fantastic.

When the stadium situation was ongoing, I felt that if the Brewers left, I'd try to follow the A's. I grew up a big A's fan due to the Bash Brothers, and have since always tried to keep up with them (though lately I've faltered). Today I would probably follow the Twins, White Sox or Tigers.

Glad I don't have to think about that though.

My dad was a big Milwaukee Braves fan, but his allegiance was to the city, not the team, so he dropped his fandom when they moved and then picked it up again with the Brewers. So, if the nightmare scenario happened, it is conceivable that I could end up the exact reverse of my dad.

First, Briggs, thanks for sharing. Your stories are very similar to those of my dad (who was born in '48) and grew up in Milwaukee.

And dlk, this quote really hit home for me. My friend once proudly announced at a tailgate (She happens to be a very loud Mets fan) that the Brewers have never won a World Series.

My dad, without missing a beat, and with a surprising amount of venom in his voice (especially for an old hippie) told her, "But Milwaukee has. That '57 series is ours."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived