Brewer Fanatic

Matt Long > Logan Schafer

Not sure if the Brewers will keep 5 outfielders, so this may be irrelevant.

However, I live in Arizona and have gone to 3 games over the last week.

I've been generally less than impressed with the organizational depth in the upper minors(all of the talent , except Arcia, is a year away from every appearing in a Spring game). However, IMHO there have been three real bright spots, Corey Knebel, Chris Perez, and Matt Long.

Long, to me, just looks like a baseball player. The guy looks like he has a plan at the plate, has some speed, and a little pop in his bat. I dont think he's going to be displacing any of our starters anytime soon, however, to me he seems to be all around one step up from Schafer. Better average, better power, better OBP. In addition I have also read that Long has played 2b and 3b in the past.

The problem is that Long has options(or signed a Milb contract) and I don't believe Schafer does. Any chance the crew cuts ties with Schafer and looks at Long as the #5 guy in the outfield? Was Long highly regarded in the Angels system? Thoughts?

*Mods: I posted this in the MiLB forum b/c Long has never played in the bigs, if you think it needs moved please do"

No. Long was OBP of .340 in AA and .358 in AAA. Schafer: .370 and .352

SLG .431 in AA and .442 in AAA. Schafer: .382 and .460

So Long is not much different than Schafer at the plate whereas Schafer is superior in the outfield. In addition, I doubt Long plays CF at all. Schafer plays a decent CF.

No. Long was OBP of .340 in AA and .358 in AAA. Schafer: .370 and .352

SLG .431 in AA and .442 in AAA. Schafer: .382 and .460

So Long is not much different than Schafer at the plate whereas Schafer is superior in the outfield. In addition, I doubt Long plays CF at all. Schafer plays a decent CF.

Does the team need 3 CF'ers? The only value Logan has is his defense, with Parra and Gomez already on the roster he isn't needed. I don't know if Long is the answer but someone other than Schafer should make the team this year.

I don't know if Long is greater than Schafer but not likely much difference. If they ever need room on the 40 man I have no problem with them taking Schafer off since they have guys like Long, Peterso(e)n, Wren not taking up 40 man spots. Either way I don't see any of these guys making the big club to start the year.

Yeah the answer should be none of the above.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think Shane Peterson is the guy they go with. Peterson isn't the defender Schafer is, and isn't the power bat Clark is but he's versatile and can hit a bit. I'm not as down on Schafer as most though. Look around the league and you'll see plenty of 5th OF that put up lousy offensive numbers in this era where pitching is dominating. It's just a very hard job especially for a defense first type player like Schafer to see a handful of AB's a week and be productive. If Schafer played everyday (and by no means would that be a good thing), he'd probably produce respectable results, just not the kind you want from a starter in the OF.

Long is just a guy. Brewers retooled their entire AAA outfield in the offseason and Long was part of that. For whatever reason, they just let Kentrail Davis and Sean Halton go via minor league draft, and picked up scraps elsewhere. Both Davis and Halton were scheduled to be minor league FA anyway after this year, but I just think they could have used a RH bat in the mix as all the guys they signed are LH hitters.

Archived