Brewer Fanatic

Ron Roenicke in 2016

pacopete4
Brewers announce they exercise his contract option for 2016.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Still think he is on the hot seat as this is a common move for coaches/managers on the last year of their deal. Kind of like when the Brewers picked up Gallardo's option, it doesn't mean he will be with the Brewers for the picked up year.

Gallardo got traded....apples to oranges...........No reason to extend him if you are going to fire him if the brewers get off to a bad start.

So he goes from almost fired to extended without playing 1 game............bizarre.

What is gained by doing this now? Why not wait until mid-season?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/296885711.html

If anything this means he's on the hot seat even more. It's basically the "vote of confidence" from management that leads to a swift firing. Most managers are paid so little the length of their contract is irrelevant. I think the only way Ron is back for 2016 is if the Brewers make the playoffs.

I tend to agree with those who have posted that we shouldn't really be over-thinking this extension. I think the organization probably correctly assumes that it would be worse to go into the year with the team facing questions about the manager's status than to pick up the option for what is a drop in the bucket financially compared to most team expenses.

I tend to agree with those who have posted that we shouldn't really be over-thinking this extension. I think the organization probably correctly assumes that it would be worse to go into the year with the team facing questions about the manager's status than to pick up the option for what is a drop in the bucket financially compared to most team expenses.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nothing big going on. Most teams don't leave their manager in a lame duck situation. It's been pretty much standard operating procedure for most clubs (I stress most, because some don't do it).

We exercised his 2015 option exactly one year ago.

Exercise the option and if he goes out and wins a ton of games and helps get us to the playoffs, we have him for at least one more season. If they stink, he's gone probably. Doubt it changes anything in their plans really.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Nothing big going on. Most teams don't leave their manager in a lame duck situation. It's been pretty much standard operating procedure for most clubs (I stress most, because some don't do it).

We exercised his 2015 option exactly one year ago.

Yup, managers and general managers usually have an extra year beyond the year they are currently in. Kind of a severance package.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

All this does is confirm that Melvin will get fired first.

How many managers does a GM get before the owner realizes it's not the manager but the guy picking him? Melvin's on what his 4th manager, counting Sveum? How many GM's out there get 5?

All this does is confirm that Melvin will get fired first.

How many managers does a GM get before the owner realizes it's not the manager but the guy picking him? Melvin's on what his 4th manager, counting Sveum? How many GM's out there get 5?

I agree. Plus Melvin has 1 postseason series win in his 25 years as a GM.

In his first general manager posting, with the Texas Rangers from 1994–2001, the Rangers qualified for the postseason three times — the only times the franchise had done so to that point in its 48-year history

-Losing to the Yankees of the 90's in three consecutive playoff series is not a mark against Melvin but getting them to the playoffs three times in their 48 year history is pretty sweet if you ask me.

In 2007, he ended the franchise's 15-year streak of losing seasons when the Brewers finished above .500, although a late-season slide eliminated them from the NL Central and wild-card races. In 2008, Melvin moved the Brewers into Wild Card and, briefly, NL Central contention with his bold, mid-season pickup of pitcher CC Sabathia, but another late-season losing streak, which left the Brewers out of contention for their division title and tied for the NL Wild Card, caused Melvin and club owner Mark Attanasio to fire manager Ned Yost with 12 games left in the regular season. Melvin and Attanasio named the Brewers' third base coach Dale Sveum the interim manager for the regular season's final 12 games, and the Brewers clinched the National League Wild Card on the last day of the season, giving the team its first playoff berth since 1982.

Melvin made three separate transactions that helped the Brewers get to the playoffs in 2011. On December 6, 2010, he acquired starting pitcher, Shaun Marcum. On December 19, Zack Greinke, who won the Cy Young Award previously, was traded with Yuniesky Betancourt who would start as an infielder. On March 27, 2011, Melvin acquired outfielder Nyjer Morgan. In the same offseason, Melvin released three of the team's most ineffective starters in Jeff Suppan, Dave Bush, and Doug Davis. In 2011, the Brewers won the most games ever in franchise history with 96 victories. In so doing, the Brewers continued to do well offensively with stars Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun as well as Nyjer Morgan. Along with starters Yovani Gallardo, Randy Wolf, Chris Narveson,the newly acquired Grieinke and Marcum pitched considerably more victories than the Brewers' starting pitchers the year before. The Brewers bullpen was also stellar, led by closer John Axford, who set two new franchise records with most consecutive converted saves (42) and most saves in a season (46). Furthermore, Melvin added Francisco Rodriguez before the mid-season 2011 trading deadline; Rodriguez would repeatedly pitch in the 8th inning to set up save opportunities for Axford. Along with Francisco Rodriguez, Melvin obtained veteran infielder, Jerry Hairston Jr., who would provide timely hitting to bolster an already-solid Milwaukee Brewer offense. As a result, the Milwaukee Brewers would win their division for only the second time in their history and make their third playoff appearance in 2011. With Nyjer Morgan's game-winning hit against the Arizona Diamondbacks in a dramatic 10th inning, the Brewers won the divisional playoff series on October 7, 2011. In the National League Championship Series, the Brewers would eventually lose to their divisional foe, the St. Louis Cardinals in six games.

In 1996, Melvin received The Sporting News Executive of the Year Award, as general manager of the Rangers.

In 2011, as general manager of the Brewers, Melvin was named by Baseball America as its Major League Executive of the Year.

I'd say Melvin has had a pretty nice career making franchises who stink, contenders on a regular basis. Maybe not world series contenders each year but to take anything away from this guy is just not being realistic with what he's worked with.

Archived