MR Knebel

MR Wooten

OF5 Long

OF5 Peterson

OF5 Logan Schafer

CIF Jason Rogers

1B Matt Clark

MIF Luis Sardinas

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My changes to your roster would be

Out:

Thornburg (AAA Starter)

Henderson (Lack of velocity a concern)

In:

Matt Clark (Good power bat off of the bench; Lind back insurance & can probably play corner OF)

Cotts (By default since he has a major league contract)

Lineup (8): C Lucroy, 1B Lind, 2B Gennett, SS Sergura, 3B Ramirez, LF Davis, CF Gomez, RF Braun

Bench (5): C Maldondo, IF Jimenez, IF H. Gomez, OF Parra, IF/OF Clark/Herrera

AAA - Clark/Herrera, Rogers, Peterson, Schafer, Sardinas

Rotation (5): Lohse, Garza, Peralta, Fiers, Nelson

AAA - Thornburg, Jungmann, Cravy, Hellweg

Bullpen (7): K-Rod, Broxton, Smith, Jeffress, Kintzler, Cotts, Perez/Henderson (if he gets his velocity back)

AAA - Henderson/Perez, Knebel, Wooten, Goforth, Pena

martin maldonado

jonathan lucroy

adam lind

scooter gennett

jean segura

aramis ramirez

hector gomez

matt clark*

elian herrera**

luis jimenez

khris davis

carlos gomez

ryan braun

gerardo parra

kyle lohse

matt garza

wily peralta

mike fiers

francisco rodriguez

jonathan broxton

neal cotts

will smith

jeremy jeffress

brandon kintzler

rob wooten

*has a brief stint with the club and is optioned when jimmy nelson is recalled for his first start

**jim henderson is placed on the 60-day disabled list to open up a spot for herrera

Starters (8)

1B Lind

2B Gennett

SS Segura

3B Ramirez

LF Davis

CF Gomez

RF Braun

C Lucroy

Bench (5)

C Maldondo

CIF Jason Rogers

MIF H. Gomez

OF4 Parra

CIF/OF5 Jimenez

SP (5)

1 K. Lohse

2 M. Garza

3 W. Peralta

4 M. Fiers

5 J. Nelson

Relievers (7)

LR T. Thornburg

MR Cotts

MR J. Jeffress

MR B. Kintzler

8 L W. Smith

8 R J. Broxton

CL F. Rodriguez

DL (1)

MR J. Henderson

---

Jimenez has played LF once already this spring; I suspect he'll get a few more opportunities to see if he can fill the emergency role. With Lind needing a PH option against LOOGY's late, and Ramirez needing some off days, I opted to give Rogers the priority bench spot. Cotts having a ML contract gets him the last bullpen spot.

c: Maldonado

1b: Lucroy

2b: Gennett

ss: Segura

3b: A. Ramirez

lf: Davis

cf: Gomez

rf: Braun

bench: C Weisenburger, 1B M. Clark, OF Parra, CI G. Rogers, OF/IF L. Jiminez, 3B/SS/2B H. Gomez

rotation: Lohse, Peralta, Garza, Nelson, Fiers

bullpen: K-Rod, Broxton, W. Smith, Jeffress, Knebel, Cotts, Wooten

DL: J. Henderson, A. Lind

There are the occasional unique angles folks like to come up with in a thread like this, but I can't help but to think it's going to be the most obvious/predictable outcome to begin with. I'm not sure this is what I want (not sure it's not, either), but it's what I think will happen:

Starting 8

C - Lucroy

1B - Lind

2B - Gennett

SS - Segura

3B - Ramirez

RF - Braun

CF - Gomez

LF - Davis

Bench

Maldonado, Jiminez, Gomez, Parra, Schafer

SPs

Lohse, Garza, Peralta, Fiers, Nelson

Bullpen

K-Rod, Broxton, Jeffress, Smith, Cotts, Kintzler, Perez

Comments

- Peterson, Petersen, & Long were all signed to be the AAA OF. I'd be surprised if they beat out Schafer for the OD roster even if the numbers by then indicate any of them should've. I like Rogers & Herrera, too, but I don't think they'll beat out the no-remaining-option guys to begin with (see comment below about retaining depth). I could see Clark as a darkhorse and Rogers as even more of a longshot making the cut, though, just as strong bats since there's already one top-level defensive OF (Parra) and the bench needs quality bats, not just good D.

- Thornburg needs to get stretched out as an SP again. Henderson's arm isn't fully back. Wooten has at least one option left. Ditto Knebel. They'll keep all the pitching depth they can, then demote or release fringy Ps on the 25-man roster (thinking Perez mainly, but possibly others) when their performance merits it and start bringing up other guys who've earned the opportunity.

- I'm not making any DL assumptions even though it's quite possible something will tip that way in the 2.5 weeks before Opening Day.

Bench:

Schafer

Comments

I'd be surprised if they beat out Schafer for the OD roster even if the numbers by then indicate any of them should've. though, just as strong bats since there's already one top-level defensive OF (Parra) and the bench needs quality bats, not just good D.

I don't think I could find a more worthless player to put on the bench. Schafer would provide 0 value at best...if he would even ever play. Gets even more confusing when you talk about not wanting another all defensive player outside of Parra. Yet you want Schafer who also plays outfield?

If someone wants to claim a guy who has a career 66 OPS+ feel free. His defense has no value here to waste an OD roster spot on.

Agree with MNbrews prediction except I don't see Schafer making the team. I think they go with the better offensive player regardless of position and think it will be Clark. Rogers would be another option but I think the Brewers are hoping he becomes the solution at third and he needs more time there in the minors if that is the case.

Bench:

Schafer

Comments

I'd be surprised if they beat out Schafer for the OD roster even if the numbers by then indicate any of them should've. though, just as strong bats since there's already one top-level defensive OF (Parra) and the bench needs quality bats, not just good D.

I don't think I could find a more worthless player to put on the bench. Schafer would provide 0 value at best...if he would even ever play. Gets even more confusing when you talk about not wanting another all defensive player outside of Parra. Yet you want Schafer who also plays outfield?

If someone wants to claim a guy who has a career 66 OPS+ feel free. His defense has no value here to waste an OD roster spot on.

Re-read the preface of my post. That isn't necessarily what I want to happen. It's what I think probably will happen.

Schafer's leash has to be getting short, and his lack of being able to even get bunts down at all last year did plenty (deservedly) to shorten the leash even quicker. That said, none of the others (Peterson, Petersen, or Long) have exactly built a compelling MLB track record (if they've gotten that far). The fact that Jimenez has been getting time in the OF doesn't bode well for Schafer, his top-level D notwithstanding.

Bench:

Schafer

Comments

Re-read the preface of my post. That isn't necessarily what I want to happen. It's what I think probably will happen.

Schafer's leash has to be getting short, and his lack of being able to even get bunts down at all last year did plenty (deservedly) to shorten the leash even quicker. That said, none of the others (Peterson, Petersen, or Long) have exactly built a compelling MLB track record (if they've gotten that far). The fact that Jimenez has been getting time in the OF doesn't bode well for Schafer, his top-level D notwithstanding.

lind's back is so dickie they need to carry another real first baseman, so i guess rogers or clark are in front of shafer, also peterson can play first, but how well, also who is the guy with catching experience, is that also peterson or maybe jimenez

This isn't the roster I'd go with (though it's close) but here's what it will look like:

OF Braun, Gomez, Davis, Parra, S. Peterson

Comment: Shane Peterson gets the nod over Schafer with a slightly more potent bat, and ability to play some 1B.

IF Lind, Gennett, Segura, Ramirez, H. Gomez, Jimenez

Comment: Jimenez gets the nod over Jason Rogers only because Rogers has options and Jimenez doesn't and Jimenez has played some 2B. Rogers is making it very tough on them but can use the extra work at 3B defensively and is a real threat to be Ramirez' heir there. This 3B/1B/RH bench bat swing guy is a key man on the roster. If Jimenez isn't performing, Rogers needs to be ready.

C: Lucroy, Maldonado

SP: Lohse, Peralta, Garza, Fiers, Nelson

RP: K-Rod, Smith, Broxton, Jeffress, Kintzler, Perez, Cotts. Henderson starts the year on DL working in extended spring. Thornburg is optioned to start in AAA. Cotts is hanging by a thread. Deal near the end of spring is not out of the question.

My changes to your roster would be

Out:

Thornburg (AAA Starter)

Henderson (Lack of velocity a concern)

In:

Matt Clark (Good power bat off of the bench; Lind back insurance & can probably play corner OF)

Cotts (By default since he has a major league contract)

Not sure about Henderson, but I agree with the rest this. I really hope they decide to put Thornburg in AAA as the #6/7 starter. "Long man" is a waste for a talented semi-young guy like Thornburg, but I worry that's where he'll end up. I'd much rather see him stretched out in AAA, as we are woefully thin on starting pitching depth and Thornburg is a better option than Jungmann. Having both of them starting in AAA alleviates the depth problem a little, and doesn't stick us in the inevitable situation of stretching him out on the fly in the majors, where he gets inserted into the rotation and can only pitch 3 innings his first outing, 4 innings the second and 5 innings the third, basically destroying the bullpen for an extended period.

I'm worried about Clark's defense at 1B, but with Jimenez backing up 3B, Gomez or Herrera backing up SS/2B and Lucroy/Lind getting most (or all) starts at 1B, Clark would basically be a LH power bat off the bench/emergency 1B/corner OF. He could provide some value in that role, especially considering that we may have some positions that get swapped out late in games either for defensive reasons (LF) or pitcher match-ups (1B/2B).

Cotts hasn't looked good so far this spring, but I think he's pretty much guaranteed a spot on the 25-man.

Note: when I say "not sure about Henderson," I mean I have no idea on the situation. If he's 100%, he should be on the roster, but if there are still concerns stemming from his injury, than he shouldn't be given a spot just because of what he once was.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

All of the articles I've read lately say Thornburg will be in the bullpen. That makes it hard for Perez to make the team. Is Kintzler a lock? His numbers haven't been very good in spring training.

All of the articles I've read lately say Thornburg will be in the bullpen. That makes it hard for Perez to make the team. Is Kintzler a lock? His numbers haven't been very good in spring training.

But they are still using Thornburg as a starter in Arizona. It's possible Kintzler won't make the team. If it weren't for a $3 million dollar contract, Cotts would be shaky too.

Look the situation with Thornburg is this. He's clearly the number one alternative as the 6th starter. He's not being counted on for late inning relief, the spot he had when he went down last year. After he went down, they acquired both Broxton and Jeffress, both of whom are locks barring a trade. I think management is waiting as long as possible to decide or at least divulge their intentions for Thornburg. Does he deserve a spot on the 25 man? Certainly. Is it in the best interests of the Brewers that rather than languish in a long man role in the pen, that he start in AAA? Quite possibly. He's not going to agree with it, but in the long run he's going to make more money and have a longer career as a starter. Stay tuned.

Check out Haurdricourt's article today. Says it's 50-50 that Thornburg will start the year in AAA rotation. Sounds like a story planted to soften the inevitable blow. Just makes too much sense. This time of year too much attention is paid to the opening day roster. Thornburg is likely to be a significant contributor in 2015, just not right from the get go.

Jimenez (.468 OPS this spring) may not make it, even with no options left. His spot may go instead to either Rogers or Herrera.

Doubt it goes to Rogers because it doesn't appear they have faith in him anymore being able to play third. Still think it is Jimenez as Melvin seems to like him even though Jimenez did bad in winter ball and spring training.

Jimenez (.468 OPS this spring) may not make it, even with no options left. His spot may go instead to either Rogers or Herrera.

Doubt it goes to Rogers because it doesn't appear they have faith in him anymore being able to play third. Still think it is Jimenez as Melvin seems to like him even though Jimenez did bad in winter ball and spring training.

Rogers played 3 innings at 3rd last night and has played a total of 13 errorless innings there this spring, not counting any minor league or B games. They've wanted badly for Jimenez to win that job (and make Melvin's claim of him look smart), but it's telling that in the past week, Herrera's getting starts at 3rd and Rogers in addition to some time at 3rd is also continuing to get time at 1B. Keeping Herrara would allow them to keep Clark, as Herrera could fill 5th OF role. Might come down to Herrera vs. Jimenez and Rogers vs. Clark. That would not bode well for either Schafer or Petersen.

Hardly seems like they've "lost faith" in Rogers at 3rd at all. I suspect if he's optioned out, that's where he'll play most of the time. There's not been that many innings available there this spring but you can bet he's taking plenty of ground balls there.

Does Clark still have options? If it's close there is a lot to be said for Rogers being your first call-up in a bunch of injury situations. It is not hard to imagine any of the OF or IF corner men doing a DL stint.

I hope Jason Rogers makes the roster over Lucho. I also hope we end up trading for Alex Guerrero to take Hector Gomez spot on the bench.

Ideally, the bench would be; Rogers 3b/1b/OF, Guerrero 2b/SS/3b, Parra OF, Clark 1b, Maldanado C.

Although, I'm not sure we would need both Clark and Rogers, and it might be smarter to get a 5th outfielder.

Clark oddly has all three options left! But on my team he is the 24th guy. And Hector Gomez is the 25th guy. And I think we do not go with a fifth outfielder. And we 60 day DL Henderson to make a 40 man spot for Perez - or you DFA Shafer. Thornburg is the AAA number one starter. And for all the nice chat from RR, Blazek is the number two starer in AAA. Jimenez makes it at least for a month or so. In fact, he likely makes it at least half way, as his D is quality at third. And his AAA stats show he 'should' be able to be at least average in MLB.

Rogers is your big hope to break out big in AAA covering 1st and 3rd. As you dont know in 2016 which you will need him to do.

So in my book, Perez is the non-roster guy from 2015 that breaks camp. And, c'mon, he is only 29, so you may catch 2 to 4 year of good, well priced performance from him. Yet, talking at the fringes does cover the fact that 2015 is on the shoulders of Braun and Aram - your three and four hitters. Doug seems to have done a good job of making a line up around them and leaving a decent rotation and pen.

Well, it seems to be down to Herrera or Schafer as the 25th man. Still don't get why Gomez's spot is teflon-coated. Hope he proves worth it -- and if he doesn't, I hope they don't wait forever to send him down.

I'm quite surprised that neither Clark nor Rogers made the cut, but Melvin's point about them playing everyday makes sense, esp. if one is to become the regular 1B should Lind end up out for any length of time.

Archived