Brewer Fanatic

Why isn't anyone blaming Yost or Maddux?

With 7 guys to choose to start the first game after the break, Yost opts for the guy who hasn't started a Brewer win in over 2 months.

As for Maddux, in what has become almost laughable for it's frequency, another visit to the mound was followed up almost immediately by a home run.

From my perspective, the bloom is off the rose for Maddux. Stan Kyles where are you?

Im not blaming Maddux for any of this. As far as who to start the only two logical choices were Sheets or Bush since they are the only two pitching well. Im not blaming Maddux for the fact that Suppan and vargas just arent any good. As far as Capuano is concerned Im really surprised he has been this bad for this long. At any rate we cant win with these three guys pitching this bad. gallardo and Villy are gonna have to be in the rotation at some point because they are two of the best pitchers on the staff and wasting them in the bullpen as long relievers will destroy this teams chances of winning the division.

My gut says that Ned probably felt that Cappy would be the guy to benefit the most from normal rest.

As far as Sheets, I'd have been fine with either a Friday or Saturday start.

I'd have probably gone with Bush on Friday and Sheets on Saturday, but I don't think it's a big deal. I'm generally fine with deferring to the manager when it comes to aligning the rotation.

Now, had this been the playoffs we're talking about, I think I'd have a lot of opinions. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Why isn't anyone blaming Yost or Maddux?

Because its not their fault. Managers and coaches get way to much blame when things go wrong, and just the right amount of credit when they go good, very litte.

Its easy to look for a scapegoat, however that's unlikely to solve much.

I think we were watching different games, I thought Yost did an excellent job of getting Cappy out of there early. He was at what, 67 pitches and got yanked after 3 complete? And as for Villanueva, next time maybe that crystal ball will do a better job of predicting home runs.

Edited for Blue Font

Everyone could tell Cappy and Villanueva were done, but Yost kept them both in way too long.

So just run through the entire pen then, eh? There is more to bullpen management than just taking a pitcher out when there's trouble.

I thought Yost did a horrible job last night managing....That was a very winnable game....Everyone could tell Cappy and Villanueva were done, but Yost kept them both in way too long

Cappy had a shutout going and only faced 4 batters in the 4th so I have no idea what he could have done there. And Villy is a fan favorite so I don't think he left him very long either. He gave up the homer and then came back out for the next inning. If you took him out you are going to burn up another arm in a game that you are losing already. So either way he does it someone is going to complain. Funny how it is so easy to say these things when the team is losing and now even Villy is getting ripped a bit.

Yost is in a no win situation and the players make or break him in the end. I can't stand these discussions because they are either positive or negative depending on how the team is doing. But Yost still manages the same.

In addition to other points brought up...

What's the difference between starting Cappy last night or tonight or even Sunday?

He has to pitch eventually and he could have had just as bad an outing any other day. It made most sense to just have him start considering he was on a SP's normal five days rest and Sheets threw an inning on Tuesday so just hold him off til Saturday.

Yes Bush is pitching well lately, but who knows if he went out there last night and returned to early-May form, people would be complaining that Ned should have started Cappy last night.

I think if you watched Ned's press conference last night on Brewers Live after the game, you could see that he's starting to get a little upset with Cappy for nibbling too much once he gets a lead. Even with that said, Ned did explain that Cappy had a couple of very good innings before a couple singles snuck through and Helton hit the gapper (Ned didn't have a problem with giving up 2 runs in the 3rd..he said the Rockies just beat Cappy there; he wasn't beating himself). What Ned hated was that Cappy went out there to start the fourth with a lead and started nibbling again, which goes against Ned's "cardinal rule" of attacking when you're on the mound. That's when Cappy starting to beat himself and that's when Ned took him out.

Cappy's a control pitcher. Control pitchers are going to have some good games, and they're going to have some very, very bad games when the strike zone is inconsistent (not to compare Cappy to Greg Maddux, but even Maddux has been lit up throughout his career when he's not getting the corners). The first few innings were very encouraging, IMO. The only thing I would have done different is that I'd give Cappy a few rehab starts to get his stamina back up to par after coming off the DL...in both Pittsburgh and Washington, it seemed like Cappy just ran out of gas in the 4th or 5th inning.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Cappy had a shutout going and only faced 4 batters in the 4th so I have no idea what he could have done there.

Unless I didnt read this right, he did not have a shutout going into the 4th. But he got yanked at the right time in my opinion.

Archived