Brewer Fanatic

Greg McCall?

Okay... joining the likes of Jeff Picker, Chris Cody, and Jeff Housman in a Sports Jeopardy category known as "clancyphile sleepers" is Greg McCall, a left-handed hitting catcher drafted in the 9th round of the 204 draft.

In 96 PAs, he posted an .840 OPS, fueled by a .325 batting average.

I rated him much higher than Cameron Garfield, whose bat just is not satisfactory.

Never heard of him but thanks for the heads up as it will be another guy I keep an eye on this year.
From what I have heard when the Brewers drafted him most thought they got him for experience(was college senior) to mentor their young pitchers at rookie level(Medeiros). Though now I guess he is going to A ball and Medeiros isn't so who knows what the Brewers view him as.

I am guessing he was one of the top senior players on their board and took him since they had to save the slot money for Harrison.

Not to rip McCall but he is the same age as Cam Garfield. Take a look at Garfield's 2012 in Wisconsin. Not a bad year. Let's see if McCall can do that. Finally, Garfield has hit in Space Coast the last two years. I think he is a better hitter than he's shown. Personally, I'm looking for a big year out of Garfield now that he will probably be liberated from Space Coast.

Not to rip McCall but he is the same age as Cam Garfield. Take a look at Garfield's 2012 in Wisconsin. Not a bad year. Let's see if McCall can do that. Finally, Garfield has hit in Space Coast the last two years. I think he is a better hitter than he's shown. Personally, I'm looking for a big year out of Garfield now that he will probably be liberated from Space Coast.

I hope Garfield can put things together on the offensive side.

But until then, McCall and Weisenburger are better options.

Lou Palmisano> Greg McCall and Caption Lou can tell you why not to bite so fast on older college guys (except Lou was still younger like 21) at lower levels.

Cameron Garfield is still the top catching prospect all around in my opinion by far. He was a young talented kid who was on fast track. After being drafted they pushed him to Helena, in his first full season they pushed him to Wisconsin....not unlike Coulter, McFarland, Denson and many other young kids who are pushed right away up to Wisconsin, he didn't have an outstanding season but not a bad one either. Then 2011 derailed his career with only 15 games played. He game back to repeat Wisconsin in 2012 while still on the mend from his injury and had a very good season. 2013 at 22 in an non-offense friendly league and stadium, I thought he did very good, was one of the better bats on team and in no way should he have been held back in 2014 again. He doesn't walk and that is what really kills him. He has a live bat, only problem his he gets hurt so often, it is hard for him to have prolonged good stretches. 2014, I can't defend him, I have been on his bandwagon through all the bumps in his career but he was a big let down to me last year. From not being promoted to AA after Spring to the way he hit last season. I think he just needs to get out of that league. In Biloxi I could see him getting back on track.

Weisenburger very well could be a major league catcher with his defense. He will offer a low .200 batting average my guess is, almost no pop, however, he can walk and give you great defense which is what you mostly look for in a #2 catcher

Our catching depth is actually really depressing, who is there to really look forward to?

Johel Antencio?

Beau Bishop?

I pretty much have to keep faith in Garfield by default. Luckily he is only in his 23/24 year old season, that's still pretty good for a AA catcher or at least average.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived