Brewer Fanatic

Luis Jimenez has a Fan

Was at the Brewers-Rangers game on Saturday and despite the fight that almost occurred between a 40-ish year old couple and a 60-ish year old couple, both Brewer fans by the way, I managed to find a new player to root for.

As he was walking off the field after being removed mid-game, Luis Jimenez walked by the stands and unprovoked reached into his bag and handed a bat to a kid standing on the rail. It was an awesome gesture by Jimenez and was completely done on his own as the kid wasn't asking for anything.

I can root for guys like that...

Nice story.

Jimenez is one of my "I really hope this guy does well" players for 2015. He can play a big role this year as a backup corner IF, as Ramirez needs time off, and Lind needs to only face RHP. I hope Lucroy doesn't start every "off day" at 1B, as his body will eventually collapse. Having another viable option (Jimenez?) to platoon with Lind would be great. But beyond that, Jimenez "breaking out" this year would give us a much needed 3B for 2016 and beyond. Right now there are really no other options in our system, nor are there many good options in free agency, leaving a big black hole at 3B in the future.

It sounds like Jimenez's glove is good, so he just needs to show that he can hit MLB pitching. I'm rooting for you Jimenez!

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Speaking of heartwarming stories:

"I was on the field Monday to watch Lucroy. Knowing he was coming back from injury, I was interested to see how he looked in batting practice. Watching the ball jump off his bat as he drove line drive after line drive into the right-center field gap, I thought I had my story. Then he ended his first round of hitting with a quick practice bunt, walked out of the batting cage towards the first-base dugout, and beckoned to someone in the dugout to join him on the field. I turned to see a shy little girl with a long blonde braid hanging down from beneath a Brewers hat. Lucroy encouraged her again, and as she came out to join him."- http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2015/03/10/jonathan-lucroy-and-carlos-gomez-made-a-little-girls-day/

Agree with you on the first part but not the second. It will be a struggle for him to hit over 200, he is Reynolds with less power.

That's probably premature, as he's had only 141 MLB ABs.

In 2,754 minor league ABs, he has a slash line of .299 avg / .335 OBP / .509 SLG / .843 OPS

He supposedly has a good glove at 3B, so if he can come anywhere close to his minor league numbers he could be a good MLB player. There were only three MLB third basemen who had an OPS over .800 last year, and our own Aramis Ramirez posted a .757 OPS. I see no reason to believe that if given a shot he has the potential to be at least league average, and possibly even above average at 3B. Sure, he could fail, but if you throw in that the Brewers have no one else on the horizon to fill 3B when Ramirez leaves, I am really pulling for Jimenez to succeed.

The 2015 Brewers have need at 3B with an aging Ramirez probably starting no more than 140 games (and I'd bet on the under there) and at 1B, as Lind has injury issues and can't hit LHP. But, with those needs I worry that Roenicke will find other players to take the PAs away from Jimenez.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived