Brewer Fanatic

Brewer predictions

MVP2110

Record 84-78, no playoffs. It's a better team overall than last year but in a brutal division.

Surprises: Matt Clark earns platoon with Davis in LF, and they combine for 34 HR. Mike Fiers finishes 8th in CY Young voting after going 17-7 with an ERA of 2.58. Scooter Gennett is selected as reserve on All Star team.

Disappointments: Ramirez scuffles along at .230/.285/.340, is replaced in mid July by Jimenez and except for occasional pinch hitting assignments, is relegated to the bench in an ignominious end to a great career, much like the final year for the great Cecil Cooper. K-Rod surrenders closer role back to Jim Henderson in June. Lind spends 45-50 days on DL.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprises - Adam Weisenburger forces his way to MLB roster with OBP skills and defense behind the plate, Brewers have Lucroy move to first full-time and contending for Rookie of the Year;

I'd say that qualifies as a "Bold Prediction" :laughing

Record: 83 - 79

Playoffs: No.

MVP: Lucroy

Surprises - D'Vontrey Richardson and Willis get call-ups.

Disappointments - Braun doesn't return to star or near-star level. Gomez disappoints.

All-Stars: Lucroy, Garza

Bold Predictions: Lucroy solidifies himself as a top-10 player in baseball. Wei-Chung Wang fizzles out. Arcia becomes a top-50 midseason prospect.

Surprises - Adam Weisenburger forces his way to MLB roster with OBP skills and defense behind the plate, Brewers have Lucroy move to first full-time and contending for Rookie of the Year;

Look at Weisenburger's OBP skills (36 walks in 293 PA). Those alone are very impressive. He also threw out 39% of runners trying to steal.

You want to fix first base if Lind's not good to go? Move Lucroy there, and have Maldonado and Weisenburger split time behind the plate. Maldonado may get the majority early on, but Weisenburger may be much better for the short term.

Look at Weisenburger's OBP skills (36 walks in 293 PA). Those alone are very impressive. He also threw out 39% of runners trying to steal.

You want to fix first base if Lind's not good to go? Move Lucroy there, and have Maldonado and Weisenburger split time behind the plate. Maldonado may get the majority early on, but Weisenburger may be much better for the short term.

Pardon me...but is Weisenburger some sort of a new racing sausage or something? Where did he come from LOL...

I think Lucroy needs to be behind the plate for the majority of the time for now, he's too valuable defensively to throw it away. I wonder if we could get ahold of a John Jaso or Matt Wieters type next offseason and THEN move Lucroy to 1st...I don't see Maldy or Weisenburger being a long term answer.

There is nothing about Weisenburger that screams out "prospect" but at any rate I'll be rooting for him. Just the fact that a 36th Round draft pick made it all the way to AAA is remarkable enough.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I go out on a limb and predict the Brewers will in fact win a spring training game.

Well since I've proven myself to be Nostradamus, I'll give a crack at the rest of the season:

The Brewers know this is their last shot. New talent will not be ready for a while, and Lohse, Gomez, and Ramirez will be gone after this season.

Record:91-61

Playoffs: yes - WS champion

Mvp: Braun - what a difference a thumb makes.

Surprise: Fiers, Davis, Henderson, and Ramirez mostly holds up for one last productive season

Disappointment: K-Rod becomes an overpriced setup man

All stars: Gomez, Lohse, and Ramirez (in large part out of respect for his career). Braun snubbed despite the numbers.

I'm going on the positive side here.

Brewers 87-75

Playoffs Yes-League Championship (lose series)

MVP: Carlos Gomez and Jon Lucroy

Surprise: Garza and Fiers pitch to under 3.4ERA

Disappointment: Braun's Thumb isn't healed fully and he's just a .775-.835OPS OF now.

All Stars: Gomez, Lucroy, Garza

Brewers might win this division with 87 wins or finish 2nd. It's already begun with MLB teams suffering injuries and that bites the Central again. Namely the Cardinals and Reds pitching staffs. Pittsburgh's staff suffers after Gerrit Cole, no one stepping up to a #2 role, as well as backend of bullpen doesn't accomplish what it did in '14. And all this means the door is open for the Brewers...and Cubs who may be the tied at 87 win team or who we lose outright division to.

Record: 79-83

Playoffs: No.

Surprise: K-Rod is better than expected; Segura and Braun improve significantly; Maldonado shows some serious power

Disappointment: Lind and Ramirez spend most of the season on the DL; Broxton and Fiers frustrate.

All-Stars: Lucroy, Gomez.

Bold Prediction: Dontrelle Willis is called up in late spring and has a nice season in a 7th/8th inning role; Cubs win the pennant.

Maybe I'm just super sour after what happened in September, but this has a feel of a 2010/2013 season -- never quite in the race from April on. I just think the rest of the division is too competitive for the Brewers to have a chance. Last year was a wasted opportunity. The trade deadline will be intriguing and should be indicative of the direction that the franchise will take over the next 5 years or so.

Record: 85-77

Playoffs: No/Yes -- make Wild Card play-in game but lose

MVP: Braun

Surprise: Peralta takes next step & blossoms into club's ace. Nelson steps up into solid mid-rotation starter. Jeffress solidifies role as set-up man or closer.

Disappointment: Lind & Ramirez each miss 40-60 games due to injuries

All stars: Lucroy, Gomez, Gennett

Bold prediction: Braun returns to ~.900 OPS form, but is snubbed from ASG ... I'll also say that the pick of Scooter to make the ASG qualifies as bold.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I predict Brewerfan.net will have the same design at the end of the season that it does today. :ohwell :laughing
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Record: 73-89

Playoffs: Emphatic No.

Team MVP - Garza

Surprises - Brewers pitching staff only allows 600 runs.

Disappointments - Brewers Bats only score 530.

Bold Predictions: Miller Park hosts a World Series for Cubs vs Red Sox as heavy snow in the final week of October forces games to be moved out of Chicago.

Record: 73-89

Bold Predictions: Miller Park hosts a World Series for Cubs vs Red Sox as heavy snow in the final week of October forces games to be moved out of Chicago.

At first I was angered by this, but then I realized that having the Cubs win their first World Series ever in Milwaukee rather than Chicago would be the ultimate revenge.

• 3 weeks later...

Record: 74-88

Playoffs: No

Surprise: Scooter proves the naysayers wrong, Davis continues to improve, Jeffress becomes the closer by

July.

Disappointment: Krod, Broxton, Cotts become gas cans. Henderson never regains form. Fiers comes down to earth.

Nelson struggles to adjust. Garza has a long DL stint. Lind and Ramirez spend more time on the DL

than on the field.

All Star: Lucroy

Bold Prediction: Lohse and Gomez are traded by August

I know I posted in a previous page. Just the comment that there was a prediction page from Yahoo writers and I was surprised that all of them picked Milw 4th. and I want to say something like 75-77 win range only. Not one 80 win or better prediction. I want to guess the Cardinals had 1st on them all from 88-93 wins.

I just don't get it. Pitt. lost Martin who played out of his norm. Also possessed a Mark Melancon, Tony Watson, Jared Hughes trio of RPs who pitched all below 2 ERA for 212.2 IP. Don't believe that staff to be good enough for Pitt not to be worse this season.

StL, is continuing to get older in the batting department, lost Taveras, acquired Heyward... and Reynolds. There is no punch/power to that offense 20 HRs from anybody may be tops. That's a lot of small ball.

Cubs, I get it. In fact I believe a lot of the hype for them. Rizzo/Bryant will be a dynamic duo to get through a batting order like Braun/Fielder was. Only Chicago has more talent surrounding that. Pitching is the concern and all they've done is produce when doing so for the Cubs lately. Bosio.

Reds lost Mat Latos who I think was that team's 2nd best SP. You can't lose that and expect to compete.

Overall, I just feel this NL Central will go down to the final week. Potentially between 4 teams. Just think competition will be so tight 86 wins is well within reach for all 4 of the competitors.

Record: 77-85

Surprise: Davis raises OPS to .850+, and is clean-up hitter by June.

Disappointment: ARam, Nelson, Garza, Bullpen in general

All Star: Braun, Lucroy

Bold Prediction: Pena will have more wins than Nelson

Record: 84-78

Surprise: Scooter does fine as a full timer. Khris Davis hits 30 hrs.

Disappointment: At least one 7-game losing streak. A-Ram hits 15 HR. Rotation averages under 6 innings per start.

All Star: Gomez, Lucroy, Braun

Bold Prediction: Brewers win 14 games vs. Reds this year. Play .500 ball vs. rest of division. Play .400 ball vs. everybody else.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Record: 77-85

Surprise: Braun bounces back to hit .300 with 30 homers.

Disappointment: Nelson isn't nearly as good as we had hoped, Lind spends a lot of time on the DL.

All Star: Lucroy, Peralta

Bold Prediction: Peralta gets at least 1 Cy Young vote, Ramirez misses 50+ games due to injury.

75-87

No Playoffs

Surprise: Segura

Concerns abound on offense for me- Braun's thumb will it hold up? 37 year old third basemen generally don't hold up for a full season and perform at a high level at a premium offensive position. Scooter is what Scooter is. Segura 2013 or 2014? Khris Davis is a nice player- but not a superstar. Gomez hits until July 1st and then goes into "Chuckie Hacks" mode in every at bat with his helmet falling off.... Will Lind solve the 1b WOAHS that we have had that past few seasons??? Too many questions there.

Pitching should be OK- but again a few questions... I like the Gallardo trade, but we now have two unknowns in the rotation with Fiers and Nelson. Will Fiers excel in a full MLB season right from the beginning? Nelson to me is a MAJOR question mark. I have dreams of Ben Hendrickson here....but I believe Nelson is better than him. Still too many questions for a playoff contender.

Its the Cards and Cubs division now with the Pirates competing too....Brewers may have to think about breaking it down if things go worse than this and retool before the next wave gets here.....

Record: 91-71

Playoffs: Yes. Lose to Nationals in Championship

Surprise: Lucroy is NL MVP runner up, Khris Davis has a breakout season and hits 5th most of the year, JUngman wins more games than Garza

Disappointment: Gennett has a rough year and gets traded for an older upgrade.

All Star: Lucroy, Braun, Khris Davis

Bold Prediction: With the Brewers being in thick of things for the best record in baseball they make a deal for a frontline starter most likely someone with 1 1/2 year left on his deal. Tyrone Taylor, Devin Williams, Jorge Lopez and Miquel Diaz are the package sent out in that deal.

• 1 month later...
Not to be dumping on my favorite sports team, but: I predict that somewhere along the way this season, somebody will toss a no-no against the Milwaukee Brewers. I will be shocked (and relieved) if it does not happen.

Archived