Brewer Fanatic

2015 Wrigley Roll Call

patrickgpe

Tickets for Wrigley this season went on sale this morning.

Has anyone else purchased tickets today, i have my tickets for May 3rd.

I do have a question for those that have been there before. We want to spend the night before in Wrigleyville and then go to the game on Sunday. The couple hotels that i found are very expensive 300+ and have a 2 night minimum.

Is there a hotel that isn't too far away that anyone can recommend that is relatively cheap (200 or less) and would let us stay only Saturday night?

For instance - there are a ton of hotels near Northwestern University (Just a tick south east of Wrigley) and the red line has the station called "Chicago" on the corner of Chicago & State. If It were me, I would be looking at something like that. Close enough to hop on the redline, but far enough away to avoid the 2 night minimum.

I'll be there May 1-2. Hoping to tie it into going to the NFL draft as well, assuming the NFL ever actually releases how to get tickets.

I haven't gotten any tickets for the games yet either, I'm hoping the lack of bleacher seats doesn't drive the cost up.

thanks for the advice Bombers. This would make a lot of sense. I have never taken the public transportation to games, but i think this would help us avoid that.

No problem. I have taken the red line every time I have attended a game at Wrigley and I think it is great. Such a different experience than driving in and parking like we do at Miller Park. So I kind of like it, as it just gives you the local feel of the many others who attend Cubs games on a regular basis. I may not like it when the Cubs come to Miller Park, but attending a game down in Wrigley is a blast. If you have never taken the train down in Chicago, here are some tips:

1. Some stations port multiple "lines" so be sure you are getting on the red line. (Ask someone if you are unsure - I have always been given friendly advice)

2. Be sure you are taking the red line the right direction. Outside of the northern most and southern most point of the line, the stations have boarding for both directions. So be sure to board on the correct train.

I'll just echo what other's have said.

It'd probably be easier to get a hotel downtown, rather than one in Wrigleyville, which, for all intents and purposes is a residential neighborhood more than a tourist area.

I've stayed at the Hotel Palomar (Illinois and State) multiple times, it's about 180 a night, clean, get a pretty good room, nice restaurant in the hotel I enjoy (Sable). I have no idea if they have a two night minimum. I'm usually down there during the week, and not on weekends anyway, so that may affect cost of the room. And it's also usually just myself. And I have pretty basic needs from a hotel room. But there's plenty of hotels in that downtown River North area, including just about every chain.

I know a few years ago I stayed at the Westin on Michigan Avenue and the Brewers were staying there at the time and plenty of players were in the bar at the hotel a few hours after the game. I do not remember the cost of the room from that. But it was back in like 2010-1. All I remember from the game is the cubs walked off on a walk on a pitch right down the middle..

And from the Palomar you literally walk out the door, turn right, and there's the Grand station on the Red Line. From Grand I believe it's six stops northbound to Addison and Wrigley is literally right there. It's also a pretty easy to cab TO Wrigley (Probably about 20$ though, compared to 2.25/person one way for the red line). It's much more difficult to get a cab AFTER a game though. Just make sure you get on in the right direction. Northbound to Wrigley, Southbound from. It's not always as clearly labeled as you'd like, especially when you're underground at the station.

On the positive side though, there's usually plenty of people in Cub or Brewer gear heading out to the game. Just stick with the herd and you'll get there! Some get off at Belmont though to hit up a bar on the way in or something. I suggest waiting until Addison for a first timer and finding an establishment around there (There's plenty) as to avoid any confusion.

From the Westin getting to the red line is a little more complicated, but it's just a few blocks to the Chicago/State station, and a few more to Clark/Division as well, depending if you walk north or south. Chicago/State is probably closer.

Going May 1......... Got upper deck seats behind the plate on StubHub for $24. Pumped.

Any word on northern suburb places that I can park and take a shuttle to Wrigley?

Red Line is in Skokie, IL. So you could taake the train.

Going May 1......... Got upper deck seats behind the plate on StubHub for $24. Pumped.

Any word on northern suburb places that I can park and take a shuttle to Wrigley?

The yellow line is in Skokie, it ends at Howard where the Red line begins. That's a great route into Wrigley. It's how I get in and out every time. You just gave to be mindful of the time, as the yellow line doesn't run 24 hrs like the Red line does.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

That's the yellow line, which requires a transfer at Howard.

It's not difficult to figure out, but the transfer can take 10-20 minutes at times.

I do have a question for those that have been there before. We want to spend the night before in Wrigleyville and then go to the game on Sunday. The couple hotels that i found are very expensive 300+ and have a 2 night minimum.

Is there a hotel that isn't too far away that anyone can recommend that is relatively cheap (200 or less) and would let us stay only Saturday night?

Don't stay in Wrigleyville unless you want to party like a 20 year old Iowa student with his parents credit card.

As others have said, anywhere along the redline makes it easy to get to Wrigleyville. I would suggest the south loop. Its quiet on the weekend, has lots of good food and entertainment, and has reasonable prices on hotels. You would be looking at the Jackson or Harrison redline stops. My fiancé works at the Field Museum and puts people up in the Congress Hotel a lot. It's a little outdated, but has a great location and price. There are other options on trip advisor as well in the $150-175 range and I've never heard of a 2 night minimum.

Barring that, around the Chicago stop or if you can spend a little more, the Grand stop. That's the touristy part just north of the loop with lots of bars and restaurants. Quartino's is a good, decent priced Italian place in that area if you are looking for suggestions.

If you want to get off the Redline (I wouldn't blame you, its basically a toilet for bums and Cubs fans) you can use Uber. Just download the app and it makes getting around the city super easy. Otherwise, there are cabs everywhere but they are a bit more expensive.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have other questions. I've lived here for about 10 years now from Evanston to the loop to Wicker Park and now the south side.

via Expedia or Hotels.com or Priceline (whatever the latest website is for hotel discounts these days) you can find a nice hotel room near O'Hare for $75 and it is easy to take the train to & from Wrigley. Another option is, via Craigslist, finding an apartment for rent for a day. I've done that before and it gives you the full kitchen etc for less than a hotel room
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

There's a Wrigley Field express bus for $4 that leaves from Northwest Transportation Center in Schaumburg right next to Woodfield Mall. Drops you off on 3rd base side of Wrigley, and you hop on the return bus right at that spot.

It's not close, but right near Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg they have Wrigley Field express buses that take drop you right off in front of the park for $4. Lots of good hotels in and around Woodfield for under $200. Also suggest Rosemont area (near O'Hare). Again lots of hotels, and Rosemont entertainment district is second to none. Hop on Blue line train from there, and get off at Addison and then take Addison street bus to Wrigley.

via Expedia or Hotels.com or Priceline (whatever the latest website is for hotel discounts these days) you can find a nice hotel room near O'Hare for $75 and it is easy to take the train to & from Wrigley. Another option is, via Craigslist, finding an apartment for rent for a day. I've done that before and it gives you the full kitchen etc for less than a hotel room

The blue line from OHare, transfer to the redline then back out to Wrigley is a really long trip.

Archived