Brewer Fanatic

Khris Davis vs Gerardo Parra - A Platoon Brewing in LF?

Bombers
You do realize he's not talking about improving the team for the rest of what he already stated would have been a lost season... right? About 12 years of cost controlled elite prospects seems like a huge positive in that scenario.

... In September last year Parra had 18 starts vs Davis 10 starts. So RRR has already shown to favor Parra.

As he should. This is a good thing. Parra is vastly better defensively than Davis, there is no argument there. And he is better vs RHP in most statistical categories. The platoon advantage is important. Davis is under team control until 2020. He has plenty of time to show the Brewers that he can be an every day player.

I have some pretty serious doubts as to whether the Brewers can really be a contender in 2015, but if they are going to contend, there are a few things that need to happen:

Limiting at-bats vs RHP for Davis

Limiting at-bats vs LHP for Lind

Limiting at-bats vs LHP for Gennett

Not abusing Will Smith

I'm pleasantly surprised & pleased to hear Roenicke talking about Parra like he is. I just hope that if Lind & Gennett struggle vs LHP that the Brewers don't wait until June to do something about it

Didn't Davis have an injured wrist at the end of last year too? If I remembered that correctly that would have more of an effect on starts than anything else.

Jericho - I thought of that too but I wasn't sure if he was or wasn't. And scrolling through his 2014 game log I noticed him hitting .212/.239/.388 on May 11th. If that happens this year RRR won't give him the time of day to get out of the slump.

I think you just trade Parra. If he is a stater he deserves to start. I posted before: if you NEED Parra to replace an injury in the OF then your year is likely kapoot. So trade Parra, get a decent prospect, and pray for health. The only sceanrio, perhaps, is that is Braun quietly tells Doug and RR is thumb is OK, but not 100%. Braun may need, say 25% time off. In that case you stick with Parra and THAT soft platoon, with a very soft LF platoon, is the only way you keep Parra.... he plays and you get benefit.

The team would be so much worse after such a trade. I actually don't know where I would start to explain. Parra is an average at best hitter with maybe average defense in CF. I don't see anything positive out of such a move.

Parra's two Gold Gloves say hello.

Derek Jeter had 5 gold gloves and he was average at best at his position, this really doesn't mean much. Parra may be above average but he certainly isn't 'gold glove caliber'.

I really don't get this. Davis is an average LFer with the glove He out hits Parra against right handed pitching, with wRC+ of 115 for his career versus Parra's 99. Davis is 27 and given his low 2014 BABIP might be a serious break out threat, Parra is a nice left handed 4th OFer who doesn't hit left handed pitching well enough to start full time.

Hopefully this is just Roenicke making Parra sound good and doesn't turn into a starting Kevin Mench over Corey Hart Yostian debacle.

Parra is fine insurance against injury to any one of the 3 OF, and if Davis were to stumble badly, sure he can take over a larger role in LF. But if you are relying on a guy who hasn't driven in more than 48 runs since his rookie year to be an everyday guy at what normally is the #1 or #2 run producing spot on the field you are in trouble.

Davis may not be a premier bat, but he's a power bat in an era when power is down, and while he has some holes in his swing perhaps, his K rate isn't extraordinarily out of line with typical power bats in today's game. Defensively, Davis covers ground well enough in LF. His arm strength is the big issue but even that's minimized in LF.

Soft platoon depending on how Davis is hitting (remember, he's has streaks of being dreadful). If Brewers are not near top of standings at All Star break, trade Gomez for a couple elite prospects and start Parra in CF.

:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

That was a joke right?

The team would be so much worse after such a trade. I actually don't know where I would start to explain. Parra is an average at best hitter with maybe average defense in CF. I don't see anything positive out of such a move.

He's looking at a scenario where the Brewers were out of the playoff race at trade deadline, so the remainder of the 2015 season doesn't mean too much. The big question would be for 2016, as Gomez is under contract through the end of 2016. Trading Gomez would likely make us worse in 2016, but if they think someone like Taylor will be ready, and if they got a monster return back for trading him, it may be worth it. This is probably best discussed in the Trade Forum, so I won't discuss any further here.

I think you just trade Parra. If he is a stater he deserves to start. I posted before: if you NEED Parra to replace an injury in the OF then your year is likely kapoot. So trade Parra, get a decent prospect, and pray for health.

Way too much risk there. It is very likely that one or more of our OF go on the 15 day DL at some point, and also very likely that they get banged up a bit and need a few days off. Not talking about a season-ending injury, just "normal" DL stints. Even without a LF platoon, Parra is set to get a lot of PAs. I had high hopes for Schafer as he worked his way through the minors, but he hasn't shown much at the MLB level. I don't know how likely this team is to make the playoffs, but they do have a shot. Giving 300-400 PAs to Schafer instead of Parra could eliminate that shot.

If we needed the money to sign a huge upgrade elsewhere, I could see the logic, but that isn't the case, so I'm happy to see the team sporting a talented backup OF. He will be used.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

You do realize he's not talking about improving the team for the rest of what he already stated would have been a lost season... right? About 12 years of cost controlled elite prospects seems like a huge positive in that scenario.

Missed the "not"...still might as well trade both in that situation. I also don't see them being bad enough to trade away Gomez and quit on 2016.

"Giving 300-400 PAs to Schafer instead of Parra could eliminate that shot."

Why is Schafer the only alternative? Clark has played LF in the minors and profiles more as a corner OF type bat than either Parra or Schafer. Same case could be made for Shane Peterson, who's a bit more like Parra and can play some CF. Any prolonged absence by Gomez would be fatal no matter who replaced him.

Parra's two Gold Gloves say hello.

Derek Jeter had 5 gold gloves and he was average at best at his position, this really doesn't mean much. Parra may be above average but he certainly isn't 'gold glove caliber'.

Really? Gerardo Parra isn't living off of his offensive reputation to win Gold Gloves like Jeter (3 out of 20 seasons with a dWAR above 0 according to Baseball Reference). Nor is he a household name. A season of 4 WAR in the OF in 2013 is pretty impressive regardless.

Really? Gerardo Parra isn't living off of his offensive reputation to win Gold Gloves like Jeter (3 out of 20 seasons with a dWAR above 0 according to Baseball Reference). Nor is he a household name. A season of 4 WAR in the OF in 2013 is pretty impressive regardless.

He won the gold glove twice in left field.

His biggest competition one year was Ryan Braun.

Yes, he's good defensively, but being good in LF is about equivalent to being average in CF.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Verified Member

Missed the "not"...still might as well trade both in that situation. I also don't see them being bad enough to trade away Gomez and quit on 2016.

They almost certainly won't, because of how the franchise operates, but if they think Taylor can start in 2016 then they absolutely should even if they want to compete in 2016. Gomez is awesome but I don't trust him to maintain the MVP-level that he's currently at. We would maximize our return by dealing him mid-2015.

Obviously I wouldn't trade Gomez without an elite return (like a young possible-ace SP).

He won the gold glove twice in left field.

His biggest competition one year was Ryan Braun.

Yes, he's good defensively, but being good in LF is about equivalent to being average in CF.

There are plenty of examples of plus fielders in LF that translate to better than just 'average in CF'. Parra's one of them, Barry Bonds in his younger years is another.

I feel like if you watch Parra regularly it's pretty obvious just how much he stands out with the glove.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived