Brewer Fanatic

Khris Davis vs Gerardo Parra - A Platoon Brewing in LF?

Bombers

In regards to the idea of platooning Davis/Parra and after reading this article on Brewers.com http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/110921084/gerardo-parra-fine-with-reserve-role-in-brewers-crowded-outfield-mix ... here are some highlights of the RRR comments and trying to read between the lines:

• 1. "In my mind, if I had got him 200 at-bats this year, he'd be disappointed. He's a better player than that and we need to get him out there."
    2. "....Parra is a starter," Roenicke said. "So I consider him a guy that, if the matchups are good for him, he's going to be in the game. I'm not waiting for somebody to be tired and has to have a day off. It's going to be different with him."

As I have said, seeing RRR implement some sort of "platoon" in LF wouldn't be all that shocking to me. I just don't see Gomez / Braun getting many days off. Maybe Braun is off once every 2-3 and Gomez once every 2-3 weeks but I just don't see Parra getting many starts over those 2. So the unfortunate part for Davis is being the odd man out. He may have good power numbers, but RRR will look past it, we all know it.

In 2014 vs RHP

Davis batted .239 / .298 / 451 / 749

Parra hit .273 / 309 / 396 / 704

So what does everyone else think? Are we heading towards a platoon in LF even though Davis has the clearly better power numbers? Am I over-reacting? I am good with the defensive replacement as yes Parra is drastically better in the field but I would think Davis has a lot of value with his bat.

I think it will be spread out more than you think. He doesn't want Gomez or Braun to run out of gas either. Yeah, Davis did not hit righties well last season but he just has way too much pop and is too young to be platoon only. That would be completely silly. Parra will play because ALL THREE need days off to make this season work. Parra sucks against lefties, so you'll probably never see him start there unless there is injury.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I could see it shaping up more like a platoon with Davis, but I still think it's going to be like having four starters in the OF. Parra will shuffle around and end up playing as much as Davis. I think Gomez and Braun play much more than the other two, but I think RRR would be smart to give Braun days off on a regular basis.

I don't like this one bit. Parra is likely to be gone after this year unless the Brewers decide to move Gomez for some reason. Davis is the present and future in LF and he needs daily ABs. Based on his results to date, over a 162 game schedule, he projects to be a .251/.311/.487 27 HR 78 RBI guy. For dirt cheap, this production needs to be in the Brewer lineup on a daily basis. Hate everything about this.

I don't like this one bit. Parra is likely to be gone after this year unless the Brewers decide to move Gomez for some reason. Davis is the present and future in LF and he needs daily ABs. Based on his results to date, over a 162 game schedule, he projects to be a .251/.311/.487 27 HR 78 RBI guy. For dirt cheap, this production needs to be in the Brewer lineup on a daily basis. Hate everything about this.

I don't think it will be a straight platoon, more like 50-50, so Davis will get enough at bats against righties (edit I had lefties) that he will progress.

As for money, Parra is a sunk cost, so it doesn't matter that Davis is dirt cheap. In fact if you are worried about money, wouldn't Davis getting less at bats decrease his cost in arby?

I just can't see any real platoon in LF. Gerardo Parra will play when the others are getting rest, when he is pinch hitting, someone is injured, when someone is slumping, and in certain career match ups. Put all of those at bats together and he is getting a good chunk.

Sitting Davis against RHPs doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Parra's numbers aren't that amazing vs. RHPs and Davis' aren't that bad. If Parra had Lind type splits I could see it, but not at his current slash.

I don't really think that Davis is the future but think Davis could bring in another decent asset in the future, more than Parra ever would. Either way it is in the Brewers best interest for Davis to succeed. Even if Parra has a good year I can't see him ever bringing back much more than a Haniger type player in return at the deadline.

Where is this notion that Davis doesn't hit RHP well coming from? He had 16 HR, 28 doubles , and 2 triples against RHP in 2014. He had 18 HR in games started by a RH. 47 of his 60 RBI came while hitting of RHP. In 2013, he had an OPS vs. RHP of .918.

LF is a position where you expect power. It's one thing if you are getting power in positions that aren't power positions, but with an aging Ramirez, the power is already down at 3B, and at SS and 2B, they only have modest power.

Parra's nice insurance as a 4th OF and he's certainly an excellent guy to plug in late in games for defense. But he's not productive enough to play in a strict platoon. Parra had an OPS of .703 against RHP last year. I'll stick with Davis.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Davis has potential to hit 25+ HR. If he can regain some of the patience he showed in the minors, he could be an .800+ OPS player.

Davis has not shown large splits in the majors: .839 OPS vs lefties and .782 OPS vs righties. The primary thing has been he's shown more power vs lefties (.533 SLG vs .470 SLG). His BA and OBP show almost no splits.

In the minors, he has shown the ability to hit lefties and righties. Look at his numbers:

vs lefties: .890 OPS

vs righties: .899

vs lefties: .837

vs righties: .855

vs lefties: 1.201

vs righties: .987

2013 (includes AAA and ML)

vs lefties: .884

vs righties: .860

I like Parra, but you don't sit the potential that Davis has in his bat. He's shown the ability to hit lefties and righties. At 27, he's entering his prime. He just has so much more potential as a hitter than Parra. The club needs that bat if it's going to contend. And going forward (beyond 2015), you want Davis to continue to develop. Sitting him against righties as he enters his prime years doesn't do that.

Parra is expensive insurance at this point. He's insurance in case Braun's hand flare up, or if Davis doesn't make the next step in his development as a ball player. If there are no major injuries, I see him him starting 20 games in LF, 20 in RF, maybe 10-15 in CF as well (that might depend on if the club keeps Schafer). Plus, when the DH is available he could potentially play the field and let Braun or Davis DH. He pinch hits and is a defensive replacement.

As I said, I like Parra. He's going to probably his .270-.280, hit 8-10 HR, play quality defense. Nothing wrong with that. But I like Davis' potential better: .270-.280 BA, 25+ HRs. The Brewers need that production from Davis if they want to win. This team is good - not great. I think it has to take some chances with potential to make us contenders. It's up to Davis to step up his game. Showing more patience will be a huge step. If he can do that, he'll see more pitches (and better pitches), and increase his BA and OBP to go with his power.

I like Davis getting 70% of starts in LF. Gomez getting 90% in CF. Braun getting 85% in RF. Parra would get the remaining 55%, plus be a defensive replacement/PH.

That would put Davis at only 114 games started. I think he will start more than that, barring injury or major slump. However Parra will get time as defensive replacement in most games, along with the starts and PH when he is not going in on defense, so his playing time will be pretty good.

Khris Davis hit .239 with a .298 OBP vs RHP last season. We aren't (supposedly) rebuilding. We aren't a AA or AAA team. This isn't about Davis' feelings. This is Major League Baseball. He should sit, often, vs RHP
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Where is this notion that Davis doesn't hit RHP well coming from? He had 16 HR, 28 doubles , and 2 triples against RHP in 2014. He had 18 HR in games started by a RH. 47 of his 60 RBI came while hitting of RHP. In 2013, he had an OPS vs. RHP of .918.

LF is a position where you expect power. It's one thing if you are getting power in positions that aren't power positions, but with an aging Ramirez, the power is already down at 3B, and at SS and 2B, they only have modest power.

Parra's nice insurance as a 4th OF and he's certainly an excellent guy to plug in late in games for defense. But he's not productive enough to play in a strict platoon. Parra had an OPS of .703 against RHP last year. I'll stick with Davis.

I agree and would stick with Davis as well but this quote has me worried:

"....Parra is a starter," Roenicke said. "So I consider him a guy that, if the matchups are good for him, he's going to be in the game. I'm not waiting for somebody to be tired and has to have a day off. It's going to be different with him."

That doesn't sound like a guy getting only 1 maybe 2 spot starts a week. (roughly 27 - 52 starts for the year) It sounds like he wants the low-end to be 2 starts a week and probably averaging out to 2-3 starts per week (52-81 games started) ... In September last year Parra had 18 starts vs Davis 10 starts. So RRR has already shown to favor Parra.

... In September last year Parra had 18 starts vs Davis 10 starts. So RRR has already shown to favor Parra.

As he should. This is a good thing. Parra is vastly better defensively than Davis, there is no argument there. And he is better vs RHP in most statistical categories. The platoon advantage is important. Davis is under team control until 2020. He has plenty of time to show the Brewers that he can be an every day player.

I have some pretty serious doubts as to whether the Brewers can really be a contender in 2015, but if they are going to contend, there are a few things that need to happen:

Limiting at-bats vs RHP for Davis

Limiting at-bats vs LHP for Lind

Limiting at-bats vs LHP for Gennett

Not abusing Will Smith

I'm pleasantly surprised & pleased to hear Roenicke talking about Parra like he is. I just hope that if Lind & Gennett struggle vs LHP that the Brewers don't wait until June to do something about it

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Khris Davis hit .239 with a .298 OBP vs RHP last season. We aren't (supposedly) rebuilding. We aren't a AA or AAA team. This isn't about Davis' feelings. This is Major League Baseball. He should sit, often, vs RHP

Yes and we don't give up on a quality player like Davis with the raw power he has proven to have at the MLB level because he had a down season last year. Now, if he goes out and really struggles again this season against RHP, then we move towards a platoon or moving on completely. But it is absolutely crazy to move on from Davis completely against RHP because of a injury plagued season. This isn't about feelings. This is about allowing your young players to prove what they can and cannot do.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes and we don't give up on a quality player like Davis with the raw power he has proven to have at the MLB level because he had a down season last year. Now, if he goes out and really struggles again this season against RHP, then we move towards a platoon or moving on completely. But it is absolutely crazy to move on from Davis completely against RHP because of a injury plagued season. This isn't about feelings. This is about allowing your young players to prove what they can and cannot do.

Platooning him and occasionally starting him vs RHP when Braun/Gomez need a rest is hardly giving up on him. It is putting him in a position to succeed and more importantly putting the Brewers in a position to succeed.

If Davis shows that he can consistently hit RHP I'm sure the Brewers will make a change. He looked hopelessly overmatched vs RHP last season and there are serious adjustments he needs to make in his approach. A power hitter with a low OBP is not very valuable in playoff games/big games/pennant races

Platooning him and occasionally starting him vs RHP when Braun/Gomez need a rest is hardly giving up on him. It is putting him in a position to succeed and more importantly putting the Brewers in a position to succeed.

If Davis shows that he can consistently hit RHP I'm sure the Brewers will make a change. He looked hopelessly overmatched vs RHP last season and there are serious adjustments he needs to make in his approach. A power hitter with a low OBP is not very valuable in playoff games/big games/pennant races

Completely different statements you are making.

The last statement can only happen by not giving up on him against RHP.

Sit him against stud RHP's, fine. Playing him only against lefties? Might as well not even have him on the team then.

Verified Member
Soft platoon depending on how Davis is hitting (remember, he's has streaks of being dreadful). If Brewers are not near top of standings at All Star break, trade Gomez for a couple elite prospects and start Parra in CF.

Sit him against stud RHP's, fine. Playing him only against lefties? Might as well not even have him on the team then.

What I always find funny is the thought of sitting vs the best pitching is the best option. Brew4U, this isn't a shot at you at all - please don't take it that way. I am just saying that this is the most common response and to me it is amusing. (When I am guilty of saying it too) - Lets just sit him vs the best. When the response should be we will start Parra when the opposing pitcher really struggles with non power hitting left handed hitters.

When I look at a Kershaw, Hernandez, Bumgarner, etc. I would guess it doesn't matter which side of the plate you hit from. They are pretty amazing no matter who is at the plate. Sitting someone vs the best in the league I would assume has a pretty minimal impact. I wish they would focus more on the pitcher himself and if that pitcher does have a high split then maybe do it. I would doubt any of those 3 have a huge split and I would assume most "stud pitchers" don't.

In addition, I would expect that sitting vs the top pitching in baseball has the largest negative affect on a hitter. If you are consistently facing top pitching and then you get to face a "lessor" pitcher you would think that lessor pitcher would be easier to see. And if you never get to face those top pitchers you are missing out on a great opportunity.

But anyhow, as the Brewers are clearly in it to win it (and not that I am against that) - allowing Davis to "improve" at the detriment to the team is clearly going to be passed on.

I like Davis, but let's not make him more than he is. He's probably around an average MLB guy - plus power, low OBP, poor defense. We need guys like him, especially when he's cheap, but he's not the type of player that you put out on the field no matter what. He should get most of the starts in LF, but he will lose some starts to Parra, who is also an average-ish MLB player, just with a completely different skill-set than Davis.

I guess I see it like this. If Braun and Gomez are healthy and productive, and Parra is starting regularly over them, then I'm upset. Not the same with Davis... he's just not that caliber of player.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Kind of out of leftfield here (pun intended) but has anyone seen Khris Davis' 2013 Strat-O-Matic card? Looks like a Hall of Fame outfielder on that card .... small sample stats will do that for you

Soft platoon depending on how Davis is hitting (remember, he's has streaks of being dreadful). If Brewers are not near top of standings at All Star break, trade Gomez for a couple elite prospects and start Parra in CF.

:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

That was a joke right?

The team would be so much worse after such a trade. I actually don't know where I would start to explain. Parra is an average at best hitter with maybe average defense in CF. I don't see anything positive out of such a move.

Archived