Brewer Fanatic

Aramis Ramirez: "I don't think I'll play after this year."

MVP2110
Verified Member
Possible pre-2016 trade targets (i.e. 3B in teams' top 10 prospects this season)

Jomar Reyes, BAL (too young)

Rafael Devers, BOS (too young)

Garin Cecchini, BOS

Miguel Andujar, NYY (too young)

Trey Michalczewski, CHW (too young)

Hunter Dozier, KCR

Miguel Sano, MIN (too expensive)

Colin Moran, HOU

Rio Ruiz, HOU (too young)

Matt Chapman, OAK (too young)

Renato Nunez, OAK(too young)

DJ Peterson, SEA

Patrick Kivlehan, SEA

Joey Gallo, TEX (too expensive)

Ryan Rua, TEX

Kyle Kubitza, ATL

Brian Anderson, MIA (too young)

Maikel Franco, PHI(too expensive)

Drew Ward, WAS (too young)

Kris Bryant, CHC (too expensive)

Ryan McMahon, COL (too young)

Fernando Perez, SDP (too young)

Yasmany Tomas, ARI (too expensive)

Jake Lamb, ARI

Brandon Drury, ARI

Having looked into these prospects a bit, I think the best targets would be:

Cecchini (doesn't have a high ceiling, but how much leverage does Boston have here given their 3B depth?)

Peterson (downside is that his defense is poor and some think he's a 1B, but Seattle might be buyers this year)

Kivlehan(cheaper than Peterson, but also questions about his defense)

Lamb (great minor league track record, but might be overpriced and Arizona not likely buyers)

Drury (another potential good value; Sickels actually ranks him higher than Lamb)

I would be on the phone with Boston, Seattle, and Arizona. Especially if Tomas sticks at 3B and thus blocks Lamb/Drury.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You lose a lot of pop in the short term however if Segura bounces back, Scooter stays Scooter, and Sadinas stays a high average slap hitter, that's three guys who can hit around .300 and steal some bases to help the team out. More realistically, they will make a trade as they did for Lind to find some to fill spot if Jimenez doesn't pan out.

If Scooter stays Scooter he may not be much more than replacement level.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Possible pre-2016 trade targets (i.e. 3B in teams' top 10 prospects this season)

Kyle Kubitza, ATL

Kubitza was dealt to the Angels this past off season. I read a little about the deal a while back, and the Angels seem to like him. Of course, that's team talk.

I thought he was an interesting option. He was brought up in the third baseman discussion last fall.

I think Brandon Drury is the most attractive trade option. At one point the Braves thought he was the replacement for Chipper Jones. One bad season in 2012, and the Braves gave up on him. Since then, he's been outstanding. In 2013, at A/A+ level, he hit .302 with 15 HR and 85 RBI. In 2014, he split time, hitting .300 with 19 HR and 81 RBI in 430 ABs at A Visalia in the California League. Then, in 29 games and 105 ABs at AA Mobile, he hit .295 with 4 HR and 14 RBI. So, .299 with 23 HR and a .872 OPS. He's improved defensively, too (though I didn't think he was that bad when with Atlanta). He has borderline plus arm, and pretty good hands. My question has to do with his range. I need to see him play some this year to be convinced, but the little I've read about him from scouts seems to imply that he can stick at third in the Majors. He's only 22 years old. He's from a baseball family, and an article I've read on AZ Central calls him a "baseball rat", always thinking about the game. He comes in early to take grounders, stays late to hit balls off the tee, talks to coaches, and asks a lot of questions. Plus, he's good friends with Troy Tulowitzki, and Tulo'z work ethic is going to rub off on him. I can't think of many left side infielders I'd rather he emulate. And if he picks up any of Tulo's defensive tendencies, look out.

There's nobody in the Brewers system that will be ready to play third at the Major League level within three years. The guy I could see transitioning to third would be Jacob Greenwood. He's going to be blocked by Segura, Arcia and Sardinas. Anyway, Greenwood at 6'5" 190 lbs, has more of a third baseman's body, doesn't he? His power certainly projects correctly for the position. But he's a long way away from being Major League ready. A strong season from Drury, and he could be up at some point in 2015. He can be had, as I think the DBacks are more likely to go with Jake Lamb as their third baseman of the future. But it would cost us to get him.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

You lose a lot of pop in the short term however if Segura bounces back, Scooter stays Scooter, and Sadinas stays a high average slap hitter, that's three guys who can hit around .300 and steal some bases to help the team out. More realistically, they will make a trade as they did for Lind to find some to fill spot if Jimenez doesn't pan out.

Huh? He's been about a 2.5 WAR per season player so far in his career so he is average to above average. He is nowhere near replacement level. I dunno if he can do that while playing every day mind you but if he stays what he has been is way above replacement.

Huh? He's been about a 2.5 WAR per season player so far in his career so he is average to above average. He is nowhere near replacement level. I dunno if he can do that while playing every day mind you but if he stays what he has been is way above replacement.

He has to hit much better vs LHP to stay above replacement.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewers are really hoping Jimenez is next Casey McGehee it appears. Honestly, I would not mind a:

2B Gennett

SS Sadinas

3B Segura

I really hope Segura can prove himself worthy of a starting spot. I still hope he can show more of what he had the first few months of 2013, but that's a lot more "hope" than "expect." He'll be our opening day starter at SS, hopefully with Sardinas at AAA, but I would not be surprised at all to see Sardinas take over as starting SS at some point this season, with Segura ultimately ending up as our utility IF/RH platoon for Gennett. Either way, if Arcia keeps on track, he looks to be our SS of the future, with that future potentially starting as soon as 2016.

I agree with 'Stache that Gatewood appears to be most likely to transition to 3B, but he's still in the low minors. It will be interesting to see what we do until then. Ideally, Jimenez will come on strong and force his way into the role. If we're not competing this year, it'd be "easy" to trade away someone like Lohse or Ramirez at the deadline to a contender (hoping Seattle, Boston or Arizona are in the hunt) for one of the guys SRB mentioned. If we're in the hunt this year, it could get tricky trying to find a 3B for 2016 unless we decide to do something like trading Gomez before his final season. But that's a whole season away, and I'm excited that I get to watch Spring Training baseball on MLBTV today!! Here's to a good season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewers are really hoping Jimenez is next Casey McGehee it appears. Honestly, I would not mind a:

2B Gennett

SS Sadinas

3B Segura

I honestly think this will be the Brewers middle IF moving forward unless they get some type of trade offer they cannot refuse for one or until Arcia pushes one of them out. With Scooter's struggles against LHP and Segura's all around struggles, it makes sense to have a super utility like Sardinas to spell them. In a way it reminds me of the 90s when the Brewers had Vina, Valentin and Loretta for SS and 2B.

None of the three is the answer at 3B for any amount of time IMO.

I'd rather overspend on a FA than put Segura anywhere near 3B. Terrible idea. And if it happens, we suck.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member

If the Brewers tank this year and the Mariners are competitive?

To Seattle

CF Carlos Gomez

SP Kyle Lohse

RP Francisco Rodriguez

To Milwaukee

SP Taijuan Walker

3B/1B D.J. Peterson

3B Patrick Kivlehan

SP Edwin Diaz

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One guy not mentioned as a potential replacement is Matt Davidson.

A former 1st round pick, Davidson turns 24 this month. He was dealt last off season for Addison Reed. At the time, he was ranked in the #75-95 area by Baseball America and other publications. Most people assumed he'd become the White Sox's starting 3B.

He showed good power in the minors, hitting 18, 20, 23 and 17 HRs as he moved up the minor league chain Arizona. He averaged between .260-.290 - nothing great, but consistent. Struck out a lot as well -averaging around 130K a season. Most scouts saw him as a .250-.260 BA guy, 20 HR. Average glove. Not great, but solid.

Then came the trade to Chicago last offseason. And and absolutely horrible 2014. He was bad in camp and sent to AAA, where he hit 20 HR, but he only hit .199 and had a 30%+ K rate. Just a bad year. And I don't think he was hurt.

That all said, he could be the kind of guy you go after with the hope he rebounds. I haven't really seen him play, so I don't know that much about his struggles last season. Maybe someone has some other info on the guy. I'm not saying he's a lock to do well, just that he's an interesting option. I like going after players who may have struggled and are still young enough to rebound. The White Sox are probably smart to not give up on him just yet - not after trading a valuable asset to get him. But you never know.

I like going after players who may have struggled and are still young enough to rebound.

If they can be cheaply obtained, I like going after them as well, but the Brewers aren't going to hand someone like that the starting 3B gig. Really, that description could be tabbed to Sardinas, who will probably start the year behind Segura on the depth chart.

In other words, if we had a decent option, I'd like a "reclamation project" as insurance with upside. Without a decent option, I hope we find a young guy who hasn't struggled, but is blocked in his current organization.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

One guy not mentioned as a potential replacement is Matt Davidson.

A former 1st round pick, Davidson turns 24 this month. He was dealt last off season for Addison Reed. At the time, he was ranked in the #75-95 area by Baseball America and other publications. Most people assumed he'd become the White Sox's starting 3B.

He showed good power in the minors, hitting 18, 20, 23 and 17 HRs as he moved up the minor league chain Arizona. He averaged between .260-.290 - nothing great, but consistent. Struck out a lot as well -averaging around 130K a season. Most scouts saw him as a .250-.260 BA guy, 20 HR. Average glove. Not great, but solid.

Then came the trade to Chicago last offseason. And and absolutely horrible 2014. He was bad in camp and sent to AAA, where he hit 20 HR, but he only hit .199 and had a 30%+ K rate. Just a bad year. And I don't think he was hurt.

That all said, he could be the kind of guy you go after with the hope he rebounds. I haven't really seen him play, so I don't know that much about his struggles last season. Maybe someone has some other info on the guy. I'm not saying he's a lock to do well, just that he's an interesting option. I like going after players who may have struggled and are still young enough to rebound. The White Sox are probably smart to not give up on him just yet - not after trading a valuable asset to get him. But you never know.

It's a prospect for prospect type of deal that I wouldn't mind parting with Sardinas for. Without knowing their system, with the White Sox starting an older Alexei Ramirez at SS and Micah Johnson at 2B, one would have to wonder if they would like to deal for Sardinas and if they would be willing to part with a young 3B like Davidson to do so. Worth investigating.

Archived