Brewer Fanatic

Aramis Ramirez: "I don't think I'll play after this year."

MVP2110

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you might want to clarify that he's retiring after this season, not now.

I think he knew as he struggled down the stretch last year that it was time. It's very similar to what happened to Paul Konerko. But the Brewers decided they couldn't resist giving him an extra $10 million to play this year and he's no fool. Glad it's out in the open. Expecting much from his farewell season is foolish. He's had a fine career but he's got a ton of mileage on that body of his so he's an old 36.

Likely and after the 2015 season so people don't freak out.

Brewers third baseman Aramis Ramirez is likely to retire after the season is over, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel tweets.

Actually, I had just the opposite reaction. I was hoping he had decided to hang it up now and forego $14 million as I'm not expecting much from him this year.

Just making way for Lara in 2016 ;)

Good for him, he knows his body isn't as up to the grind anymore. He has done it for 18 years and has left his mark. If he can stay mostly healthy this season I still expect him to hit near .300 and around 20 HR's. He dropped off last year but he was in and out of injuries, he could never really get into a nice grove.

I wonder if Segura and Gennett perform this season (Gennett hits like he did last year full-time and Segura returns to 2013 form) then Sardinas performs enough off the bench proving he deserves to play every day...they roll with Segura to 3B, Sardinas to SS, and Gennett at 2B? Lose a lot of power production but all 3 can be solid .300 hitters. I guess it will be up to how Jimenez and Rogers perform, or if they can find someone via trade. The system is pretty bare at 3B for awhile

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Just making way for Lara in 2016 ;)

Good for him, he knows his body isn't as up to the grind anymore. He has done it for 18 years and has left his mark. If he can stay mostly healthy this season I still expect him to hit near .300 and around 20 HR's. He dropped off last year but he was in and out of injuries, he could never really get into a nice grove.

I wonder if Segura and Gennett perform this season (Gennett hits like he did last year full-time and Segura returns to 2013 form) then Sardinas performs enough off the bench proving he deserves to play every day...they roll with Segura to 3B, Sardinas to SS, and Gennett at 2B? Lose a lot of power production but all 3 can be solid .300 hitters. I guess it will be up to how Jimenez and Rogers perform, or if they can find someone via trade. The system is pretty bare at 3B for awhile

I could get on board with the Lara as 3B in 2016 bandwagon. Seeing that we're going "all in" this year (by getting Lind and no one else), I could see Lara as a great 3B option to build upon with.

2016 3rd base free agents:

Juan Uribe

David Freese

Case McGhehee

Mike Aviles

Alberto Callaspo

Willie Bloomquist

Donnie Murphy

ick....

Yeah, it's too bad that the Brewers don't have another player capable of playing third base on the roster... one who delivered huge offensive numbers until a couple of injury-plagues years...

Oh, yeah... they DO.

Time for #8 to come full circle.

Thinking about this more, with the timing of this announcement, why not just retire now? Feels as though his hearts not there and if it isn't, he hasn't put in the work the off season to give himself the best chance to stay healthy.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Thinking about this more, with the timing of this announcement, why not just retire now? Feels as though his hearts not there and if it isn't, he hasn't put in the work the off season to give himself the best chance to stay healthy.

Other players & coaches have announced their retirements ahead of their final season. It's really not unheard of. Most recent MLB example I can think of is Chipper Jones

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Braun would be a disaster at 3B. I don't know what to expect from Aramis this year. He had 3 awful months, 2 great months and a pretty average month. Just seems like a streaky year rather than him being 'finished' like people want to make it out to be.

Other players & coaches have announced their retirements ahead of their final season. It's really not unheard of. Most recent MLB example I can think of is Chipper Jones

Derek Jeter & Paul Konerko last season

Then again they were both awful last season... perhaps because their hearts weren't into it.

large option contract he'd forfit and the brewers have no other option. they need to keep him healthy and productive.

I think if he gets more days off he should be able to make it through the season and still be productive. Given how long he's played I think he's smart enough to know that as well so he probably won't fight getting more time off. It's nice that we have Lind to help in the four hole of needed. I think at this stage Ramirez would be better suited in the 5 or 6 hole.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Then again they were both awful last season... perhaps because their hearts weren't into it.

I think there is something to thinking you're done already. Hunger is lost or this wouldn't be creeping into his mind the first week of spring training. Maybe I'm wrong and hope that I am but it sounds like a player that's here collecting his large pay check and not fully into this. I have a lot of respect for him and hope he comes out firing.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think there is something to thinking you're done already. Hunger is lost or this wouldn't be creeping into his mind the first week of spring training. Maybe I'm wrong and hope that I am but it sounds like a player that's here collecting his large pay check and not fully into this. I have a lot of respect for him and hope he comes out firing.

Chipper Jones posted an .832 OPS in his final season. All of this is just anecdotal information. It isn't worth worrying about with regards to Aramis (which was my original larger point).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived