Brewer Fanatic

2015 bench

djoctagone
I was surprised to read Melvin state that Schafer has a .270 average as a PH in his 4 years. I had to look it up and he is right. So Schafer's problem hasn't been PH, it's that he's stunk when he has started. That makes me feel a bit better about him on the bench.

Yeah, I saw that too. I am still really concerned about our seeming lack of any type of power whatsoever coming off the bench though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was surprised to read Melvin state that Schafer has a .270 average as a PH in his 4 years. I had to look it up and he is right. So Schafer's problem hasn't been PH, it's that he's stunk when he has started. That makes me feel a bit better about him on the bench.

I'm more concerned with Melvin talking about Batting Average. Hopefully he's just dumbing it down for the casual fan. What is Scafer's OBP, BABIP & OPS as a pinch hitter? Is he really that effective?

I sincerely think Melvin actually looks at Batting Average as a viable stat to compare players with and evaluate players with. Somewhat bizarre

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm more concerned with Melvin talking about Batting Average. Hopefully he's just dumbing it down for the casual fan. What is Scafer's OBP, BABIP & OPS as a pinch hitter? Is he really that effective?

I sincerely think Melvin actually looks at Batting Average as a viable stat to compare players with and evaluate players with. Somewhat bizarre

Pretty sure he picked the only thing going for Schafer...

Pretty sure he picked the only thing going for Schafer...

You weren't kidding -- .270/.304/.349/.654

This team needs a bench bat with power. Paging a 2015 clone of Matt Stairs or Russell Branyan...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

We already have a bench bat with power in Matt Clark. We're just not opting not to keep him and go with our standard punch and judy bench instead. I'm sure it will work out fine and this is the last time we'll be discussing it.

• 5 weeks later...

logan schafer optioned with scooter gennett activated. jason rogers has played well enough to warrant keeping him on the bench.

if schafer spends more than 20 days in the minors this year, he will enter 2016 spring training with no minor league options remaining.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wonder if Rogers is still getting work in the OF? He has 67 games in the OF in the minors, though none last year or this year.

I'm pretty sure he's a last option in the OF. Herrera is now the 5th OF. His versatility may keep him employed in the Bigs for a while.

Counsell is winning me over already with getting rid of Schaffer. Now, send Davis (.209/.289/.314 - .603) to the minors and he either gets back on track, or he doesn't. Call up Clark and I like what we have starting and for a bench.

STARTERS:

C- Lucroy

1B- Lind

2B- Gennett

3B- Aram

SS- Segura

LF- Braun or Parra

CF- Gomez

RF- Parra or Braun

BENCH:

C- Maldonado

IF- Herrera

IF- Gomez

1B/OF- Clark

Corner IF/OF- Rogers

and I think we have something.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Counsell is winning me over already with getting rid of Schaffer. Now, send Davis (.209/.289/.314 - .603) to the minors and he either gets back on track, or he doesn't.

I think it is way too early to consider sending Davis down. He hit about .250 in April and had a pretty respectable OBP. The power hasn't been there, but give him some time. He is also hitting 1/20 vs. lefties which obviously is not very realistic for Davis who tends to hit lefties a bit better than righties.

Anyone who thinks Martin Maldonado is anything but a rather 2nd rate backup who's only real redeeming quality is a strong arm hasn't been watching. Steve Stone said something interesting last night about Maldonado. He has not recorded a hit on anything other than a fastball this entire season. Yeah he got a walk off hit the other day, but his OPS is down to .504. His defense other than his throwing too has been sub par. He's not blocking pitches well, and has a couple of careless passed balls then last night he had a key catcher's interference.

With Centeno hitless, might be time to take a look at career minor leaguer Nevin Ashley who's been swinging it well at CS.

Maldonado, other than his walk off and home run, has been very disappointing. I still feel as though he needs to lose some weight. His bat speed might pick up and he would become quicker behind the dish. He could be included in a trade and I wouldn't be heart broken.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

JB12, I just checked & Centeno's had a whopping 9 ABs since he's been up. Whether he can hit or not, 9 pretty spread-out ABs isn't enough to prove it to me.... Now, whether Ashley deserves a look is a different question, and arguably he may indeed deserve a look. If Centeno gets sent down for that, what's to lose? However, Centeno's getting ABs at a nearly Rob Picciolo-esque rate (see: 1982 post-acquisition by MIL), which is grounds for . . . well . . . pretty much nothing in terms of judging his ability.

Archived