Brewer Fanatic

KRod signs 2 year deal with Brew Crew

If Mark was as meddling as some seem to think he is I 'd imagine Doug would have resigned by now.

There are millions of people who dream of being a major league GM, and 30 positions available. The odds of becoming a MLB GM are less than the odds of becoming a MLB player. Not something you run away from because you don't like the way the boss operates.

Then throw in Melvin's situation: He was let go in Texas because he argued against the owner's decision to sign A-Rod (a move the Rangers later realized was dumb, and they had to trade him away while still picking up a lot of his salary), so he's probably a little gunshy about being too public about any disagreement with ownership. Plus, he's ready to retire. He was set to retire a couple of years ago (coincidentally the year the Greinke and Marcum deals expired - go figure why he did those two two-year deals) and was convinced to sign an extension which I believe is over after this season. Why on earth would he walk away from a pretty good gig just because the owner likes to get involved. That just saves him the trouble of having to deal with Boras, which is probably a plus in his book.

I like Melvin. I think the next GM is going to have a bit of an uphill climb, but some of the recent moves like drafting young, higher-upside guys and trading Aoki and Gallardo rather than watching them walk as free agents, will help the future some. I hope the next GM will be a good judge of young talent, as I think at least something of a rebuild will be in order in the not-too-distant future. But I also hope he is someone who understands how to deal with an owner who likes to "play GM." Attanasio's the owner, and it is his right to run his business any way he likes, but it certainly appears that he likes to get involved in decisions most teams leave up to the GM.

That may or may not be a bad thing. From a baseball standpoint, this K-Rod deal looks like a decent deal. He's a decent reliever and it seems to be pretty cheap. I was worried about the Lohse deal due to his age, but so far he's held up, and if he can hold up one more year, that was a pretty good deal as well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived