Brewer Fanatic

KRod signs 2 year deal with Brew Crew

I hate this, mainly because this appears to be Attanasio negotiating for a player again and I think K-Rod is a gigantic piece of crap.

I'm glad MA is a well known guy out there and seems to have a good track record with players. Maybe at times it'll back fire and he'll sign a dud, but all GM's do that anyways. It's good to hear our owner is trying like hell to win.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's good to hear our owner is trying like hell to win.

$13 million for a replacement level reliever the past 3 years who was below replacement level last year.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/002/626/doing-it-wrong.jpg

Disappointed.

I expressed my dislike for this misogynist to my ticket rep before he was signed. I've already purchased my 20 game pack, but that may very well be the only games I go to this season after going to 40+ the last 8 years.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/23/a-reminder-francisco-rodriguez-is-a-worse-human-being-than-ryan-braun/comment-page-1/

Oh get off the high horse. There's 39 other players on that bench/field worth your time & appreciate you being there. Rodriguez also appreciates it.

Hate this deal. Why 2 years? No reason for that. All for a guy who was below replacement level last year and is only getting further away from the wrong side of 30. Truly awful deal. Would have rather seen them give a couple $1m deals out for some more depth, like a true 6th starter/swingman and push back Jungmann (and possibly Thornburg) to the 7th and 8th starters on the depth chart

Hate this deal. Why 2 years? No reason for that. All for a guy who was below replacement level last year and is only getting further away from the wrong side of 30. Truly awful deal. Would have rather seen them give a couple $1m deals out for some more depth, like a true 6th starter/swingman and push back Jungmann (and possibly Thornburg) to the 7th and 8th starters on the depth chart

I'm pretty lukewarm about K-Rod as the closer (I think Henderson if healthy is better), but "below replacement level"? He had a WHIP under 1.

As for the idea they are better off using the money for a starter/swingman, you do realize the "long man" in the pen has become a bit of a dinosaur? There's still a few around like former Brewer Carlos Villanueva, but those guys almost never pitch meaningful innings, often sit for a week or 10 days at a time, and as starters are likely worse than the best starters any team has in AAA. Today you rarely see starters not complete at minimum 4 innings even on days where they allow 5-6 runs. To get a quality 6th starter who's a veteran, it'll cost you in the $4-5 million per year range, and all that guy would do on the Brewers would be deny Nelson a spot in the rotation at least until the veteran is exposed come about June.

The 2 year thing cuts both ways. I haven't read whether K-Rod got a no-trade clause, but having that second full year, even at $6 million, allows the Brewers the ability to deal him next winter to a team in dire straits for bullpen help should it appear the Brewers have enough depth there.

Love the deal. The extra year also could enhance K-Rod's trade value this year (if the Brewers need a third baseman) - it wouldn't be a few-month rental.

How? I think teams would prefer to have relievers on one year deals. Too much volatility to want them for more than the one season. It's not like Broxton's trade value was helped because he had an extra year.

I like the Deal. I can live with 2/13mil-6.5mil avg overall for him. He's certainly not Half the RP Papelbon is who's commanding 13mil and he doesn't cost Milw any prospects. KRod still has the numbers to like him. Less than 1hit per 9, a lowing BB Rate and K Rate above 9 per 9. I mean he gave up 14HRs last season to have a 3.04 ERA. 1 HR less he's under 3 ERA and I'd be happy with that in a RP. Just to go back for Brewers leader in Saves ERA

14: KRod 3.04

13: Henderson 2.7

12: Axford 4.67

11: Axford 1.95

10: Axford 2.48-Hoffman 5+

09: Hoffman 1.83

08: Torres 3.49-Gagne 5+

KRod has had 2 Seasons lifetime of an ERA north of 3.04 3.71+4.38 Otherwise 3.04 and better the other 10 seasons. I'll take his long term ability vs. a guy like Kintzler or Wooten having to be used in the Situations KRod's been in.

Love the deal. The extra year also could enhance K-Rod's trade value this year (if the Brewers need a third baseman) - it wouldn't be a few-month rental.

How? I think teams would prefer to have relievers on one year deals. Too much volatility to want them for more than the one season. It's not like Broxton's trade value was helped because he had an extra year.

K-Rod's been VERY good - good enough that he may be worth the two years. 32 is not that old for a relief pitcher, and one with 348 career saves will draw interest.

Given his sub-1.0 WHIP in 2014, and his lights-out performance for the Crew in 2013, this is well worth it.

I'll take his long term ability vs. a guy like Kintzler or Wooten having to be used in the Situations KRod's been in.

But it wouldn't be that scenario. It would be that Broxton (who has been in that scenario) is closing and Kintzler may or may not have moved up a notch and be the full time 7th inning guy or not depending on how he pitches.

You're missing the quoted part. Last season the Crew's RP was cruising along and then Henderson went down. Little later Thornburg went down. Smith became ineffective vs RHP. Having KRod removes Wooten or Kintzler from the idea of use in the 8th or 9th innings if not playing to matchups but pitching to a full inning. Say Broxton got hurt. Henderson/Thornburg are hurt again. At least we have KRod to cover in that instance vs having to turn to Kintzler or Wooten and maybe Kneble too soon. I know Jeffress is there still, but his success thus far in the ML level was the time he put in with Milw in '14. The history isn't there, the upside/potential is, but not the history which is actually a bust. Solidify. That's what KRod does for the backend of the bullpen. It could turn sour on using Henderson, Jeffress, Wooten, and especially Kintzler really quick and the Crew be stuck with no backup plan. The roles these guys will have can be relied on in 6th/7th or extra inning games rather than the Holds of the 8th and the Saves of the 9th.

Don't like this move. Attansio is the ultimate meddler who always feels like he has to spend every penny in his budget regardless of need. Hope they can move some relievers at the deadline.

Agreed

K-Rod is not very good anymore. Not among the top 20 relief pitchers in Baseball. This speaks to the failure of the Brewers in developing pitching talent and the failure of the front office in understanding advanced analytics and saber-metrics. K-Rod had a 125 ERA+ last year. His ERA+ over the last 3 years is 115 with a 1.173 WHIP. In an era that is featuring many of the greatest closers of All-Time and where teams often have 2-3 elite relief pitchers on their staff, those numbers are truly horrid.

Best we can do is hope for a repeat of 2013 where he is very good for half a year and we can deal him at the trade deadline.

I literally cannot wait for Melvin to retire and the Brewers to bring in a new GM who understands the modern game as it is evolving. Nightmare scenario is it is Gord Ash who replaces Melvin and we get the same old same old approach

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

K-Rod had a 125 ERA+ last year. His ERA+ over the last 3 years is 115 with a 1.173 WHIP. In an era that is featuring many of the greatest closers of All-Time and where teams often have 2-3 elite relief pitchers on their staff, those numbers are truly horrid.

??? Above average production on a moderate salary is truly horrid?

Disappointed.

I expressed my dislike for this misogynist to my ticket rep before he was signed. I've already purchased my 20 game pack, but that may very well be the only games I go to this season after going to 40+ the last 8 years.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/23/a-reminder-francisco-rodriguez-is-a-worse-human-being-than-ryan-braun/comment-page-1/

Oh get off the high horse. There's 39 other players on that bench/field worth your time & appreciate you being there. Rodriguez also appreciates it.

Yes, that high horse where I don't want my favorite team to sign guys who beat women. Gosh oh golly.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I don't trust K-Rod, but Broxton is a dumpster fire. We have a few young RP with a lot of potential (Jeffress, Smith, Knebel), but we all know Roenicke wouldn't have let them be the closer. K-Rod is a big upgrade over using Broxton in that role.

I'm not sure if Broxton will make it through the season on the 25-man.

What statistic says he's replacement level - pitcher WAR?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1642&position=P

Yes, this one. The last 3 years he has basically combined to be a replacement-level pitcher according to it.

Apparently the league is full of a lot of pitchers that are way worse than replacement level then.

I don't think KRod is great, nor am I really buying into the "proven closer" pixie dust, but I question Fangraphs methodology if that's their conclusion.

What statistic says he's replacement level - pitcher WAR?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1642&position=P

Yes, this one. The last 3 years he has basically combined to be a replacement-level pitcher according to it.

Apparently the league is full of a lot of pitchers that are way worse than replacement level then.

I don't think KRod is great, nor am I really buying into the "proven closer" pixie dust, but I question Fangraphs methodology if that's their conclusion.

Their version of WAR is particularly bad for relief pitchers, in part because it relies on FIP rather than ERA or xFIP. K-Rod gave up an above-average rate of HRs last season, so it thinks he was a bad pitcher. Even though his results were good and his xFIP combined with the small sample size suggest that he was "unlucky" and that the HR-rate will come down.

To be honest, FIP is majorly flawed when it doesn't adjust for HR/FB% because that contradicts the entire notion that the pitcher does not control how hard the ball is hit once it leaves the bat.

Pitcher WAR should be based on ERA (like on Baseball Reference) or xFIP, in my opinion.

Don't like this move. Attansio is the ultimate meddler who always feels like he has to spend every penny in his budget regardless of need. Hope they can move some relievers at the deadline.

Agreed

K-Rod is not very good anymore. Not among the top 20 relief pitchers in Baseball. This speaks to the failure of the Brewers in developing pitching talent and the failure of the front office in understanding advanced analytics and saber-metrics. K-Rod had a 125 ERA+ last year. His ERA+ over the last 3 years is 115 with a 1.173 WHIP. In an era that is featuring many of the greatest closers of All-Time and where teams often have 2-3 elite relief pitchers on their staff, those numbers are truly horrid.

Best we can do is hope for a repeat of 2013 where he is very good for half a year and we can deal him at the trade deadline.

I literally cannot wait for Melvin to retire and the Brewers to bring in a new GM who understands the modern game as it is evolving. Nightmare scenario is it is Gord Ash who replaces Melvin and we get the same old same old approach

Getting a new GM may not matter all that much so long as Arranasio is the owner and especially his direct line with Boras. From the K-Rod transaction thread.

Melvin wouldn't comment on the state of possible talks with the Phillies, but acknowledged the lines of communication have remained open with "K-Rod."

"I don’t know if it’s active, but we still have conversations," Melvin said. "Mark deals more with that. (Agent) Scott (Boras) keeps calling Mark."

It's hard to know exactly to what degree Attanasio takes the lead on signing free agents, but it seems very clear that he isn't the type of owner who just gives his GM a budget and sits back allowing the GM to then build the roster as he sees fit, kinda like as happens in Green Bay with Ted Thompson.

Pretty much every free agent signing of note seems to have Attanasio's involvement to some degree.

Archived