Brewer Fanatic

KRod signs 2 year deal with Brew Crew

Smith in the 7th, Broxton in the 8th, K-Rod in the 9th?

(I know there will be other relievers used, but I have to believe that's the primary combo.)

My guess is Henderson, if healthy, would pitch the 7th with Smith being used to match up againsts lefties in high leverage situations. However it works out, this is a huge addition to the bullpen.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the value because I'm not sure K-Rod is going to be above replacement-value anymore. I don't hate it at the price, though.

What I love is that this potentially Roenicke-proofs the bullpen. He now has righties that are at least moderately neutral in splits and won't do something stupid like stick Will Smith in an inning role again where he faces a bunch of righty hitters (right Ron? Right!?!?!)

The positive besides the contract being modest is that it should make the decision easier to have Thornburg re-establish himself as a starter in AAA rather than hang around in the outdated and rarely used "long man" role. If he's really good there, it gives them a solid replacement in case of injury or ineffectiveness and gives them the option of dealing Lohse at the deadline, even if they are still fairly close.

Love it. MUCH cheaper than I expected. He might drive you nuts, but he gets results, provides an intensity/charisma in the closer role we didn't have, knocks everyone else in the bullpen down into a more comfortable spot, and is inexpensive enough to cut if his luck catches up with him. We also have the benefit of knowing he hasn't seemed to be a clubhouse issue with this team. I would have been disappointed heading into the season relying on Broxton as the closer, but love him in the setup role and Papelbon was going to be a much riskier acquisition in terms of money, prospects and attitude (again, I know KRod has his issues, but at least we're familiar with how they mesh with this organization). We just added depth in every bullpen spot for $3mil by bumping every pitcher down one spot. Can't complain about that.

Wasn't Smith pegged as a potential starter when we got him? I could be remembering wrong but maybe he'll the one getting stretched out and able to do multiple innings on the ML roster while Thornberg is in AAA. With no 6th starter like we had most of last year, someone will have to be able to grab 3-4 innings here or there.

The positive besides the contract being modest is that it should make the decision easier to have Thornburg re-establish himself as a starter in AAA rather than hang around in the outdated and rarely used "long man" role. If he's really good there, it gives them a solid replacement in case of injury or ineffectiveness and gives them the option of dealing Lohse at the deadline, even if they are still fairly close.

Great point. I didn't consider how adding another reliever would remove Thornburg from the bullpen and get him on the mound every five days in AAA. If this is the case, who would you bring up first if their is an injury to a starter, Jungmann or Thornburg?

literally the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this pop up on my newsfeed on my phone...

http://www.gw2wvw.net/sites/default/files/hide.jpg

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I really don't have the words for how much I despise K-Rod on a personal level.

As a player he's marginal and I have no idea why the Brewers would want to 2 years plus an option for him, regardless of cost?

I wanted no part of a Papelbon trade but this isn't much better.

To me this is a case of better the devil you know...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I love Broxton's quote in the K-Rod article when asked how he feels his role might change with this signing:

"I don't care. As long as we win, I don't care. There are important outs in the 7th, 8th, AND 9th innings."

exactly, thats a great mindset!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I love Broxton's quote in the K-Rod article when asked how he feels his role might change with this signing:

"I don't care. As long as we win, I don't care. There are important outs in the 7th, 8th, AND 9th innings."

I love to hear that!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I really like the collection of guys we have in the pen. Not a lot of risk, money wise. Could give us trade bait again. K Rod makes me nervous when I'm watching him pitch, but he has been pretty darn solid over the last few years.

This bullpen reminds me of the team put together by the Indians in Major League!!!

Assuming he doesn't become a HR derby pitcher like he was in 2014, I'll live with it.

His HR/9 the last 3 years is 1, 1.4, and 1.9. I highly doubt it will all of a sudden be under 1. Be prepared to watch HR's

Very well could happen. But maybe he makes an adjustment in his approach as well. He already reinvented himself once.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived