Brewer Fanatic

Looks like Josh Hamilton is in big trouble.....

markedman5

If its a drug relapse (cocaine, alcohol, etc), then yes, from a social perspective that is worse, but from an MLB Disciplinary standpoint, what could possibly be worse than PEDs? Players are frequently promoted to the 40 man roster so as not to be subjected to marijuana testing. Amphetamines? Does MLB do random recreational drug tests?

If its a drug relapse (cocaine, alcohol, etc), then yes, from a social perspective that is worse, but from an MLB Disciplinary standpoint, what could possibly be worse than PEDs? Players are frequently promoted to the 40 man roster so as not to be subjected to marijuana testing. Amphetamines? Does MLB do random recreational drug tests?

There's only one thing worse than PEDs under MLB's made-up, non-contractual punitive measures. Turns out Hamilton has been lying about his true identity, and he's actually Alex Rodriguez.

Feel bad for him. I know it's easy to point and laugh at him, but addiction is a huge challenge. I wish him the best.

Ditto. I am more concerned with how fast he can get himself back on track and how long he can stay there than how long his suspension is.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Didn't he get a 18 months for cocaine in the past or perhaps 162 games? The 18 game suspension must be be unrelated to drugs. Maybe he failed an alcohol breath test. Still, I don't understand Rosenthal dramatizing it by saying it's worse than PEDs.

I don't like hearing this. I know Josh has his demons. They will probably always be with him. It seemed like he was doing a good job and staying under control. No matter what it is, how long he's suspended for, I hope that he gets the help that he needs to get back on track and stay on track.

Does MLB do random recreational drug tests?

I believe they're done if there's reason to implement them, such as a player having gotten into trouble to the law.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Still, I don't understand Rosenthal dramatizing it by saying it's worse than PEDs.

That's what reporters do, especially sports reporters. It's all about getting people to tune back in, so it's all about the drama.

Report first, check facts later, if initial report was incorrect then issue a short statement recanting initial statement after the cat is already out of the bag. Oh yeah, and make sure to include plenty of personal opinion in your "reporting."

As to Hamilton, I echo the sentiments of those wishing him well. His is an amazing story, and I hope it has a happy ending.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The article I read said this involves at least cocaine, so maybe heroin too. He was given his own set of rules when he was re-instated years ago, gets tested like 3-4 times per week. apparently he didn't fail a test here though, he voluntarily came to MLB admitting his relapse. I'm sure they'll factor that into his suspension and chop some games off. I understand all he's had to overcome but he's had a relapse in several recent offseasons if my memory serves me, so they have to give him some kind of suspension.

Still, I don't understand Rosenthal dramatizing it by saying it's worse than PEDs.

In fairness, the tweet stated that a baseball executive said "worse", not Rosenthal. I don't know that it's irresponsible reporting to report what a baseball executive stated.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Honestly, at this point I just empathize with Hamilton. He obviously has not fully kicked these addictions or destructive behaviors and I am sure having a spotlight on him all the time as a highly paid professional athlete doesn't help.

I just read a potential 18 game suspension. If true, apparently worse than PED's gets you 32 games less than PED's.

Exactly my point. As a matter of fact, it isnt even half as bad as PEDs.

Not as bad a suspension, but probably much much worse for Josh Hamilton the human being.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 1 month later...

$83MM over three years for a guy who has been a league-average player since they've signed him, something tells me they're not enjoying having to pay the rest of that contract.

I didn't think the comments were that outlandish, if this is what you're referring to. Pretty easy to read between the lines though.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/03/gm-jerry-dipoto-angels-have-serious-concerns-about-josh-hamiltons-conduct-health-and-behavior/

I wonder if Hamilton could end up on the trading block.

How much of Hamilton's salary would the Angels be willing to cover? Will they take a couple of second-tier prospects - maybe even toss us a first-tier prospect over to take more of the salary?

I wonder if Hamilton could end up on the trading block.

How much of Hamilton's salary would the Angels be willing to cover? Will they take a couple of second-tier prospects - maybe even toss us a first-tier prospect over to take more of the salary?

I am sorry I don't think any team wants that kind of player near their team.

Doesn't make a lot of sense for the Brewers anyway. They can have Lind the next two years and Hamilton only has 3 years left on his deal. He wouldn't really be helping us out all that much.

Archived