Brewer Fanatic

2015 bullpen

djoctagone
Wooten is pitching real well. Just read an article a couple of days ago regarding how he had some of the worst luck last year and is a guy who could have a bounce back year. Wouldn't mind Thornburg at AAA to replace Nelson at some point if he struggles. Don't think Henderson makes the team, not sure if he goes on the DL or optioned to the minors.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Henderson is pretty much destined for the DL. The lack of velocity will make that an easy move.

Jimmy Nelson will likely go to AAA till the 20th of April when they need him. So there will be one extra guy til then.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Henderson is pretty much destined for the DL. The lack of velocity will make that an easy move.

Jimmy Nelson will likely go to AAA till the 20th of April when they need him. So there will be one extra guy til then.

I think this pretty much hits it. Nelson can get in a start or two at AAA to stay sharp. Henderson either goes to DL or maybe extended spring training or something.

Is Smith the only legit LHP? How did that happen? I am terrified RR is going to miss-use the bullpen this year by not using Smith the right way. I can see him burning through Smith, Jeffress, and Henderson too early in games, leaving no options for the 9th. With the guys they have, it will be critical to use these guys properly, at times set up Smith for the save if opposing teams has a couple LH coming up, or using Jeffress at times in that role, etc.

Instead, I see RR using the "conventional" approach. Krod is the closer, Broxton gets the 8th, and some combination of Smith/Henderson/Jeffress get the 7th. If they do that, good luck, because I just don't see that working out very well.

I continue to hope there will be another LH option via trade before the season starts.

Cotts.

Cotts? I said LEGIT LHP. I am really starting to get worried about this pitching staff. Jungmann looks nowhere ready to be the #6, and serious questions about Nelson at #5. Beyond that, who else is there for the rotation? Thornburg maybe, but that's asking a lot from a guy coming back from injury and not in a starting role for well over a year.

Bullpen isn't much better, only one LHP, Henderson looking like he won't be an option, etc. Jeffress and someone else like a Kintzler will really have to step up. Still won't be surprised if Melvin pulls off a deal before the season starts.

Is Smith the only legit LHP? How did that happen? I am terrified RR is going to miss-use the bullpen this year by not using Smith the right way. I can see him burning through Smith, Jeffress, and Henderson too early in games, leaving no options for the 9th. With the guys they have, it will be critical to use these guys properly, at times set up Smith for the save if opposing teams has a couple LH coming up, or using Jeffress at times in that role, etc.

Instead, I see RR using the "conventional" approach. Krod is the closer, Broxton gets the 8th, and some combination of Smith/Henderson/Jeffress get the 7th. If they do that, good luck, because I just don't see that working out very well.

I continue to hope there will be another LH option via trade before the season starts.

Cotts.

Cotts? I said LEGIT LHP. I am really starting to get worried about this pitching staff. Jungmann looks nowhere ready to be the #6, and serious questions about Nelson at #5. Beyond that, who else is there for the rotation? Thornburg maybe, but that's asking a lot from a guy coming back from injury and not in a starting role for well over a year.

Bullpen isn't much better, only one LHP, Henderson looking like he won't be an option, etc. Jeffress and someone else like a Kintzler will really have to step up. Still won't be surprised if Melvin pulls off a deal before the season starts.

Like it or not, he's in our bullpen.

http://deltapoints.boardingarea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Sky.jpg

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's about that time in spring training where pitchers go through the dead arm period, so bad starts shouldn't alarm anyone. I'm not sure of the value of sending Nelson down to start the year either. Why use up an option if you don't have to and the extra rest for the remaining starters will pay off later in the year. Thornburg missed more than half of last season and he was stellar starting in 2013. Let him work back into a starting role in AAA. If he's needed in the bullpen later, fine, but he might be more valuable replacing a starter. Besides, unless Cotts picks it up, it looks like they'll have to relegate him to long relief/mop up. Wooten's been good this spring as has Kintzler, and Perez is still in the mix so there's no need to panic.

One way this possibly plays out is the Brewers start the year keeping everyone they like IN the organization, which means Perez on the roster, guys optioned to AAA who can be, etc. If they pitch well, then -- ta da! -- we have quality depth. If they don't pitch well, you get rid of who you can as long as better replacements are available. As has often been noted, for oodles of reasons & possibilities, the 25-man you start with is never the 25-man you end with.

I think Cotts said he was considering retiring. Until Doug came along with his $3 mill for a leftie. But,oops, left hand batters hit better off Cotts. I sure hope Cottsy turns it around. That will be poor to have an oldster at $3 mill as mop up. When you can have a youngster with a future at 500k

I'm not sure of the value of sending Nelson down to start the year either. Why use up an option if you don't have to(?)

an option is only burned if the player spends more than twenty days in the minor leagues. he has to spend at least ten days in the minor leagues before being recalled (unless replacing an injured player), so if the club wanted nelson as their fifth starter but not until 20 april, they could option him a few days before spring training ends, have him make his final start in a minor league game, and then continue pitching in minor league spring training and make one or two starts for colorado springs.

if they want him earlier than 20 april, then the club options him earlier in spring training, and he starts two minor league games.

• 2 weeks later...
with indications that the brewers are no longer stretching tyler thornburg out to be a starter, it's pretty obvious that they intend to bring him north as a reliever. that leaves one spot up for grabs between rob wooten and michael blazek, and i'm sensing that the final spot will go to wooten.

with indications that the brewers are no longer stretching tyler thornburg out to be a starter, it's pretty obvious that they intend to bring him north as a reliever. that leaves one spot up for grabs between rob wooten and michael blazek, and i'm sensing that the final spot will go to wooten.

I would think it goes to Wooten with all the talk about Blazek being used as a starter.

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that the Crew are going with guys like Blazek, Wooten and Thornburg. It's not just about veterans automatically getting the job. Experience is great, but it's not everything. You need to produce. And the young guys are our future. At some point, you have to stop jerking guys around and make the leap with younger players. It's a risk, but one worth taking, especially when the options are decidedly mediocre.

To me, Perez looked nothing more than average this spring. So why pay $2.5M for average when you can get that same production for 1/5 the price? And let's face it, he's probably here for one year and then gone. Why not let Wooten or Blazek see if they can actually be a regular contributor - and get them for a bunch of years instead of just one.

As for Kintzler, I was all for bringing him back in the hope he could pitch like 2013. But that gamble hasn't paid off so far. I'm just glad the club is willing to send him to AAA instead of just saying 'he's a veteran' and gets an automatic spot in the pen. Perhaps he can get his game straightened out. If so, he might help us later in the year. But for now, if he's playing poorly, I don't want him on the roster.

The Brewers have been horrible at producing bullpen arms in the majors. Worse than producing starters. What's great is seeing young guys coming up the pipeline that may actually be really good relievers. I'm not against adding veterans, but the fewer Cotts type signings we need to the do, the better.

• 4 weeks later...

brandon kintzler designated for assignment and thus off the 40-man roster.

tyler thornburg optioned and rob wooten recalled. if thornburg spends more than 20 days in the minors this year, he will enter 2016 spring training with no minor league options remaining.

brandon kintzler designated for assignment and thus off the 40-man roster.

tyler thornburg optioned and rob wooten recalled. if thornburg spends more than 20 days in the minors this year, he will enter 2016 spring training with no minor league options remaining.

Maybe they put Thornburg into the rotation with the anticipation that Lohse and Garza won't be around next year (assuming you trade Garza because he offers little for a rebuilding club). I'm not sold on Thornburg as a starter, but to be fair, he had some success back in 2013 (6-7 starts if I recall), and I haven't seen him this year.

Think to the future at this point. Rotation candidates are few and far between. If you move Tyler there, you can trot out him, Cravy and Jungmann next year (or later this year) to go with Wily, Nelson and Fiers. It's not great looking, but you can see who sinks and who swims as you rebuild.

So let me get this straight, Thornburg gets sent down with a 5.59 era, and Wooten gets called up with a 7+ era.....in the minors?

Ok, that makes sense...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think (hope) the AAA thin air is responsible for the AAA horror ERAs. Do we wish now we had sent Thornburg to the Mets for Ike Davis. Ike had an OPS in the 700s last year, much better than our first base. And Ike is .884 so far this year. And Ike even pitched the other day for the A's. Sits in the high 80s, with a cutter and two seamer and four seamer and slider. And Ike, I read, is superior defensively.

Oh, well, you would never want young talent looking to bounce back. Go with the old vet who 'may' give you one more year of average performance at triple the average price. Are we sure Mark is a successful business man? He sure does not seem to know much about acquiring stuff at a good price and selling at a high price. He seems to only know about acquiring shiny, overpriced stuff, whilst giving up his future

I think (hope) the AAA thin air is responsible for the AAA horror ERAs. Do we wish now we had sent Thornburg to the Mets for Ike Davis. Ike had an OPS in the 700s last year, much better than our first base. And Ike is .884 so far this year. And Ike even pitched the other day for the A's. Sits in the high 80s, with a cutter and two seamer and four seamer and slider. And Ike, I read, is superior defensively.

Oh, well, you would never want young talent looking to bounce back. Go with the old vet who 'may' give you one more year of average performance at triple the average price. Are we sure Mark is a successful business man? He sure does not seem to know much about acquiring stuff at a good price and selling at a high price. He seems to only know about acquiring shiny, overpriced stuff, whilst giving up his future

Estrada for Lind

Gallardo for Luis Sardinas, Corey Knebel, & Marcos Diplan

Aoki for Will Smith

Greinke for Jean Segura, Ariel Pena, & Johnny Hellweg

I'd say that all four of these trades acquired nice players for the Brewers and really go against your rant.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived