Brewer Fanatic

Yoan Moncada - Red Sox - $30M signing bonus

torts

Red Sox To Sign Yoan Moncada

By Steve Adams [February 23, 2015 at 8:11am CST]

The Red Sox and Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada have reached agreement on a signing bonus in the range of $30MM, reports MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez (via Twitter).

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Anyone know where that puts his total contract at? I kept hearing it'd cost a team somewhere between $80-$100 million to get him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I still don't understand why mlb just doesn't put all the internationals under 24 in the draft. If they're over 24 they would be FA. Problem solved.

I agree. The current method is horrible and creates a competitive disadvantage as only (at most) 50% of the teams have any realistic shot of signing these guys. In my opinion it's completely idiotic to, for a lack of a better word, punish athletes for being born in the US. MLB is a mostly US league, but yet we pay more to those born outside our own borders. Sillyness.

its unfortunate because he could have been a solution to the depth void at 3B.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

its unfortunate because he could have been a solution to the depth void at 3B.

I have a feeling he'll take more than the 2 years they are projecting him to take, if he makes it at all. $30 mil is a ton of money at that age and he may regress/not work as hard.

I still don't understand why mlb just doesn't but all the internationals under 24 in the draft. If they're over 24 they would be FA. Problem solved.

I agree. The current method is horrible and creates a competitive disadvantage as only (at most) 50% of the teams have any realistic shot of signing these guys. In my opinion it's completely idiotic to, for a lack of a better word, punish athletes for being born in the US. MLB is a mostly US league, but yet we pay more to those born outside our own borders. Sillyness.

There has been some speculation that the tax money collected by MLB from the Moncada signing will be used towards funding the development and implementation of an international draft.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I still don't understand why mlb just doesn't put all the internationals under 24 in the draft. If they're over 24 they would be FA. Problem solved.

There has been some speculation that the tax money collected by MLB from the Moncada signing will be used towards funding the development and implementation of an international draft.

Let's hope so. The current system is pretty ridiculous and also unfair to US prospects.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Tom @Haudricourt · 4m 4 minutes ago

Instead of bidding against themselves #Brewers asked for Moncada answer within the 72 hours and offer wad rejected.

0 replies 1 retweet 1 favorite

Reply Retweet1 Favorite1

More

Tom @Haudricourt · 5m 5 minutes ago

#Brewers GM Doug Melvin said he was first to make offer to Yoan Mocada but learned early on they wouldn't get him.

Total bonus to Moncada was $31.5 million, for a total cost to the Red Sox of $63 million. Yankees offered a $25 million signing bonus reportedly with a willingness to go up to $27 million. Very curious what the Brewers offered Moncada.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

MLB is focused on attracting casual fans by shortening the length of game. The solution to attracting casual fans is much simpler than shortening games and it's tied in directly to Moncada-like situations. When you operate an industry that immediately eliminates 2/3 of the teams in the league from signing big FAs like Scherzer, Lester, Sandoval and Ramirez and international free agents like Moncada, the casual fans of the Brewers, Reds, Pirates, Twins, Indians, Royals, Rockies will undoubtedly turn to the Packers, Bengals, Steelers, Vikings, Browns, Chiefs and Broncos where the size of their market doesn't matter versus the Giants, Jets, Patriots, Bears.

The 2011 Brewers are a perfect example of why the casual fan stays away in MLB and flocks to the NFL and even the NBA. Braun, Fielder, Greinke, Gallardo...the superstar core of the 2011 NLCS team should all be playing with one another still in Milwaukee and within 9 months half of the core was gone. Rodgers, Matthews and Nelson all still play in GB after their Super Bowl run in 2010. Sure tough decisions still are made in the NFL, like letting Greg Jennings walk or cutting an older vet like Charles Woodson, but the superstars still remain. The Brewers likely would have had to see Rickie Weeks and Corey Hart go, but had MLB operated like the NFL, the superstars would still have remained.

The Brewers are about to go through this again when they may have to decide between who to extend between two fan favorites, Jonathan Lucroy and Carlos Gomez, in the next year. Guys who should both finish their career as Brewers but likely won't given MLB's current salary structure. If Gomez is dealt, the more likely scenario, "same old Brewers" will be the mantra of Milwaukee's casual fan.

This is the overarching problem in baseball, the disparity in team salaries and flocking of FAs to large markets, and until that is addressed, the casual fan that MLB is so desperate to get, will continue to stay away.

Time to get on the phone and see what Garin Cecchini will cost to acquire. With Sandoval blocking him now and Moncada blocking him in the future, make Cecchini your long-term answer at 3rd base.

I have a feeling he's part of the overhyped Boston prospects. .268/.341/.371 isn't that great of a AAA slash line. If they thought he was any good they wouldn't have spent all that money on Big panda and Moncada.

Tom @Haudricourt · 4m 4 minutes ago

Instead of bidding against themselves #Brewers asked for Moncada answer within the 72 hours and offer wad rejected.

0 replies 1 retweet 1 favorite

Reply Retweet1 Favorite1

More

Tom @Haudricourt · 5m 5 minutes ago

#Brewers GM Doug Melvin said he was first to make offer to Yoan Mocada but learned early on they wouldn't get him.

I like the style, at least. Be aggressive, but don't play games either.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

just say what you;re getting at, you want a salary cap in baseball like in the NFL

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Brewers being finalists along with NYY and BOS means something I guess. Boston offered $30 Million, NYY probably offered about $25 Million, and I am guessing the Brewers were maybe around $20 Million. A finalist if you want to call it that; but they never had a chance. At a minimum this tells me Doug has money to spend in the international market. Hopefully come July 2nd he can add one or two more solid prospects.

Well, theres the answer. 31.5mil and to the Red Sox. So 63million cost in 6years of team control=2WAR in FA roughly. 2WAR a year from a middle infielder likely means he's making another 1.7mil+ 3.5mil+5.5+9mil total cost of 82.7mil. Means he has to accumulate near 18WAR in 6years or else he's a failure/overpay. And if he's just a 4WAR player he only saves the Red Sox around 25-30mil overall. Is that really worth paying 63million up front 2+years ahead of time? If time in money creates value it's even less than that then on top? I'm glad Milw didn't sign him it was a sunken cost far too great for them. Now of course the Red Sox can sign Moncada to an extension to help out their overall cost down the road maybe by not paying more than 15mil in FA years and hope Moncada at the age of 28+ is a 4+WAR player still at that point to see savings. Considering this 19yr old commanded 31.5mil in a signing bonus, I'm guess he's going to be asking $3 on the $1 in his future contract. Which is 8times too much money for Milw to even consider to extend.

It's just pathetic he can sign for this kind of money while American kids his age have 0% chance of coming within 5 times that payscale.

MLB is focused on attracting casual fans by shortening the length of game. The solution to attracting casual fans is much simpler than shortening games and it's tied in directly to Moncada-like situations. When you operate an industry that immediately eliminates 2/3 of the teams in the league from signing big FAs like Scherzer, Lester, Sandoval and Ramirez and international free agents like Moncada, the casual fans of the Brewers, Reds, Pirates, Twins, Indians, Royals, Rockies will undoubtedly turn to the Packers, Bengals, Steelers, Vikings, Browns, Chiefs and Broncos where the size of their market doesn't matter versus the Giants, Jets, Patriots, Bears.

The 2011 Brewers are a perfect example of why the casual fan stays away in MLB and flocks to the NFL and even the NBA. Braun, Fielder, Greinke, Gallardo...the superstar core of the 2011 NLCS team should all be playing with one another still in Milwaukee and within 9 months half of the core was gone. Rodgers, Matthews and Nelson all still play in GB after their Super Bowl run in 2010. Sure tough decisions still are made in the NFL, like letting Greg Jennings walk or cutting an older vet like Charles Woodson, but the superstars still remain. The Brewers likely would have had to see Rickie Weeks and Corey Hart go, but had MLB operated like the NFL, the superstars would still have remained.

The Brewers are about to go through this again when they may have to decide between who to extend between two fan favorites, Jonathan Lucroy and Carlos Gomez, in the next year. Guys who should both finish their career as Brewers but likely won't given MLB's current salary structure. If Gomez is dealt, the more likely scenario, "same old Brewers" will be the mantra of Milwaukee's casual fan.

This is the overarching problem in baseball, the disparity in team salaries and flocking of FAs to large markets, and until that is addressed, the casual fan that MLB is so desperate to get, will continue to stay away.

The success rate for 5-7 year free agent contracts at 100 million plus dollars is extremely low. I think the Brewers and other small market teams have a built in advantage of not being able to sign past their prime players to ridiculous contracts to play out their decline years. Some people act like the Braun contract is a dead weight around the team's neck and he never even makes 20 million in a single season. I'd hate to think what would have happened had the Brewers been in a place to match or top Detroit's 9/214 offer to Fielder.

It's just pathetic he can sign for this kind of money while American kids his age have 0% chance of coming within 5 times that payscale.

MLB will fix that and it won't be so that domestic players get more.

Formerly AKA Pete

I still don't understand why mlb just doesn't but all the internationals under 24 in the draft. If they're over 24 they would be FA. Problem solved.

To the extent they're punished, the solution would be eliminating the draft entirely, not expanding it. An international draft would hurt all the players (if you're American you are maybe going to get drafted 1-2 rounds later, costing you hundreds of thousands). It really only benefits the teams.

That said, I'm in favor of one because these type of bonuses for amateurs are preposterous and destroy the competitive balance of the sport.

Alternatively, you could just cap IFA bonuses (for non-pros like Moncada) at the slot value for the 1-1 pick in next year's draft. If multiple teams match max offer, player can decide based on other factors.

or even a slot where there scheduled to pick . Say Red soxs pick 20th and the Dbacks pick 4th. He could sign for a higher slot with the dbacks . That would gives teams who have had a worse record a better shot at getting top draft picks

The system they tried to create to even playing field has absolutely failed and backfired. Rich still get richer. Teams like Red Sox and Yankees don't care about the tax, 30 million to simply go the league is nothing to them.

Because of the learning curve and the age difference, you will never see a combined draft, however, there should be an international draft over free agency to even the playing field. Teams like Brewers shouldn't have to mortgage their future in order to compete for these kids.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived