Brewer Fanatic

MLB Will Implement Three New Rule Changes To Speed Up Games

owbc
Community Moderator

According to Ken Rosenthal on Twitter:

1. Managers must challenge replays from dugout.

2. Batters must keep one foot in box unless an established exception occurs.

3. Play to resume promptly once broadcast returns from commercial break.

They basically took care of the low hanging fruit, it will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes and if more drastic rule changes will be implemented in 2016.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont like it.

1. So they are going to hollar out what they want challenged across the diamond? Will a phone be utilitized...or does the crew chief have to walk all the way over there to have a discussion? The original method worked fine.

2. Are we really nitpicking the nano-seconds it takes to get one foot back into the box instead of 2?

3. I don't like less time between innings. That is less time I have to grab a snack or restroom break and not miss much action. That is less time my kids get to view the between innings contests or side entertainment (t-shirt tosses, etc).

Overall, I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't have a problem with a 3:00 baseball game. My life won't be anymore complete with a 2:50 baseball game.

having watch Clint Hurdle walk out to the umpire numerous times and not get replays, I am glad the first rule is happening. He's not the quickest man, add he was incredibly hurt last season, but if a catcher can see the coaches give them signs, clearly the umpire can turn his head and look at the coach to see about a replay.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Like the first two. The delays for challenges / non-challenges were lengthy. It needs to improve on the MLB end as well; less obvious reviews that somehow take several minutes to make a call. And the OCD batter routines have gotten absurd.

Not a huge fan of the commercial break guideline, but I guess we'll see how it's applied in practice. I usually like the cue of hearing BA and Rock after a commercial to know it's time to get back into the room, or getting the intro on a reliever before the inning begins.

Overall, decent changes. I'd like to see a limit on catcher visits to the mound as well. No reason to allow a pitching coach to visit, catcher to visit, and catcher to walk halfway to the mound a couple more times all in the same inning, and all too often you get most of those events to one critical batter. Allow one catcher visit per inning, and count the delay from the catcher walking halfway to the mound to throw the ball back as a visit.

Now if they would just keep balls in play that hit the dirt but otherwise don't bounce away, we will have fewer delays while the umpire reaches into his pouch to hand the catcher another ball. Granted that's about 5 seconds, but it's done 20-25 times a game it seems and that adds up.

The real reason the games are slow are that over the years they added time between innings for additional commercials (which they'll never change), and overdoing productions of the 7th inning stretch. When I'm watching a game on television on Sundays, I change channels for the 5 minute production.

It will be interesting to see how they implement this. For example, what's the penalty if a batter takes both feet out of the box? Is it a called strike? I remember several years ago (15? 20?..more?) where they decided to tighten up the rules on the definition of a balk. If I remember correctly they decided to be more strict on the enforcement of having to come to a noticeable set position before beginning your motion. There were an insane amount of balk calls on opening day that year. I want to say there were 4 or 5 balks called during the Brewer's opening game.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Hasn't limiting time between innings worked well for college? If so, then that should translate to pro ball. Also limiting the time batters spend outside the box should speed up the game. Some guys seem to take a walk between each pitch. The challenge one will most likely do nothing.

It will be interesting to see how they implement this. For example, what's the penalty if a batter takes both feet out of the box? Is it a called strike? I remember several years ago (15? 20?..more?) where they decided to tighten up the rules on the definition of a balk. If I remember correctly they decided to be more strict on the enforcement of having to come to a noticeable set position before beginning your motion. There were an insane amount of balk calls on opening day that year. I want to say there were 4 or 5 balks called during the Brewer's opening game.

the penalty is going to be with fines, not balls/strikes, and the fines will be minimal.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I think the coach staying in the dugout will shave a little time, maybe not much. I always found it interesting how baseball was one of the only sports where the manager is allowed to actually come onto the field of play and dispute a call without any fear of penalty or fine (unless the umpire eventually ejects him). If a football coach walked onto the field (not just 2 or 3 feet onto the field) and started arguing a call, it would be an instant penalty and probably a decent chance of an ejection.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

the penalty is going to be with fines, not balls/strikes, and the fines will be minimal.

According to the rule book, it's a strike if the batter is not in the box.

I think the coach staying in the dugout will shave a little time, maybe not much. I always found it interesting how baseball was one of the only sports where the manager is allowed to actually come onto the field of play and dispute a call without any fear of penalty or fine (unless the umpire eventually ejects him). If a football coach walked onto the field (not just 2 or 3 feet onto the field) and started arguing a call, it would be an instant penalty and probably a decent chance of an ejection.

Baseball is also the only sport where coaches can't verbally ride an official the whole game. Basketball and football are notorious for it. If managers interacted with umpires the way most NFL coaches do with referees there would be ejections every game. Most wouldn't make it to the 3rd inning.

The real reason the games are slow are that over the years they added time between innings for additional commercials (which they'll never change), and overdoing productions of the 7th inning stretch. When I'm watching a game on television on Sundays, I change channels for the 5 minute production.

I think the the batters' production between every pitch wastes more time than an extra commercial per half inning. But I definitely agree with you about the Sunday games. 9/11 was 14 years ago, time to ditch GBA on Sunday and holiday games.

These rule changes should be an improvement in for the game, as long as there is enough time when the commercial ends to realize the game is back on. My favorite change is the replay one. I hated how last year managers would come out on every close play and chat with the umps until he got buzzed on whether to challenge or not. I'd rather they ditch replay than keep it going that way.

I'm dumbfounded that all sports don't do replay like college football. Have a guy in the booth and if he sees something he buzzes the head official and asks for a second to look at it. How hard is that. Probably some stupid umpires union rule blocking it. I hated watching the managers meander around the field wasting time last year.

Something I never see brought up in this debate is that in the last 10 years there has been such an emphasis on taking walks and getting deep into the count trying to get walked. I have to think this is a factor in the lenght of games too, along with the other things people have mentioned. Things like Braun does or Nomar used to should be eliminated. Braun gets at least 4 ABs a game and probably adds two minutes with this BS.

Anything to cut commercials down with I'm fine with too. I obviously don't watch commercials often on TV and I think it kills the in person experience. I'm not one to get up 10 times a game to get food/drink/bathroom and I'm not a fan of those who do, get the game going. They'll bring almost anything you want to the seat and if you need something get up once in the game and get while stopping at the bathroom, done.

The thing that wastes the most time during a baseball game by far is the pitching change. If you want to speed up the game significantly, force pitchers to face a minimum of three batters, and quit allowing them warm up tosses on the mound, or limit it to 3 or something. The only time a relief pitcher isn't completely warm when he enters the game is if it's because of an unexpected situation. Other than that, the warm up time on the mound is a waste. especially if you have to sit through it 3 times in one inning...in a 4 run game.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The thing that wastes the most time during a baseball game by far is the pitching change. If you want to speed up the game significantly, force pitchers to face a minimum of three batters, and quit allowing them warm up tosses on the mound, or limit it to 3 or something. The only time a relief pitcher isn't completely warm when he enters the game is if it's because of an unexpected situation. Other than that, the warm up time on the mound is a waste. especially if you have to sit through it 3 times in one inning...in a 4 run game.

Isn't part of that 8 pitch warm up so that the pitcher can get comfortable with the mound? I know every pitcher creates his own nooks and crannies, and the field mound will have different peaks and valleys than the bullpen mounds will. Maybe they can find that comfort spot in less than 8 pitches, but I never assumed the 8 pitches was to further warm up, but to acclimate to the landscape of the mound itself.

" 9/11 was 14 years ago, time to ditch GBA on Sunday and holiday games."

I would disagree about getting rid of "God Bless America". I think it's one of those things that makes baseball great. Kind of spanning the generations.

I like the rule changes. Don't see a lot of downside to any of them.

Are they still trying to pretend that this alleged crisis over the length of games is coming from a fan outcry, and not the fact that delay/longer games cost TV networks money?

Huh? How? Don't the longer games/time between innnings mean more commercials, which equals more $$$?

Are they still trying to pretend that this alleged crisis over the length of games is coming from a fan outcry, and not the fact that delay/longer games cost TV networks money?

Huh? How? Don't the longer games/time between innnings mean more commercials, which equals more $$$?

The summary of the change is: "3. Play to resume promptly once broadcast returns from commercial break."

Networks can only run a certain number of commercial breaks (typically between half-innings and during pitching changes). When the innings themselves are delayed by batters taking too long or too many seconds between pitches, the networks don't gain any additional ad revenue from the additional game time, and in fact I'm sure the impact on their regular scheduling is a major cost. If you have a game with X pitching changes and 17 commercial breaks between half-innings, the networks are making money off 17 + X commercial breaks. That's a set amount of money for a set viewership that will tune in for (all or part) of the game. It's obviously in their benefit to make that money in 3 hours versus 4 hours of airtime.

These "reforms" are all about the $$$, not some imagined fan exodus away from the game because it is too long.

Sounds like conspiracy theory to me. Pretty much everyone I know thinks baseball games are too long and that includes many long term die hard fans. Ryan Braun does not need to adjust his batting gloves every single pitch and delay the game 20 seconds every time. It has just reached absurd levels at this point.

Sounds like conspiracy theory to me. Pretty much everyone I know thinks baseball games are too long and that includes many long term die hard fans. Ryan Braun does not need to adjust his batting gloves every single pitch and delay the game 20 seconds every time. It has just reached absurd levels at this point.

People are really up in arms about an extra 10-15 minutes in average game time versus 10+ years ago? It's another manufactured controversy.

Archived