Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks Signs with Mariners - $2 Mil plus incentives

Bombers

I too would have done this deal if he was willing to play OF. Probably would have given him a mil or more too to make it happen. Dude OPS'd .865 against lefties last year and had a .357 OBP overall. Scooter will never come close to touching either of those number.

He has to take the field too. That has to be weighed with his OPS at 2nd. There's also a pretty good chance he doesn't OPS that against lefties again as well. You're also burning a roster spot. Probably 7/8 of all major league players could be platooned to some benefit, but it doesn't happen.

Can he even play the outfield? Does anyone think that Nelson Cruz is anything but bad? I'll bet they end up playing him in LF and using Weeks at DH and they'll use some excuse like soreness to justify it.

And his OPS will be zero while he's on the DL. I'll go out there with a radical prediction and say he has at least one DL trip.

Formerly AKA Pete

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For all we know, they could have asked Weeks to shag flies before the season for years. The whole story line of it being proposed mid season seems like a rationalization for the people who love the guy.

Or it could have something to do with the absence of any evidence that they asked him to play OF before the season. I'm not saying you're definitively wrong. I can't prove a negative. But for you to accuse people of "rationalizing" by accepting the available evidence seems like a massive reach. "For all we know" isn't evidence.

And his OPS will be zero while he's on the DL. I'll go out there with a radical prediction and say he has at least one DL trip.

I agree with the majority of your post. One point, though, is that this zero OPS probably isn't far off of what Scooter will put up against LHP when he's healthy and in the lineup, to argue it the other direction.

Or it could have something to do with the absence of any evidence that they asked him to play OF before the season. I'm not saying you're definitively wrong. I can't prove a negative. But for you to accuse people of "rationalizing" by accepting the available evidence seems like a massive reach. "For all we know" isn't evidence.

I only pointed out that there is no evidence and provided a possible scenario. I assumed nothing, but if you go through the thread or read other forums, there are many people who assumed that he was a victim of a clumsy organization.

Go ahead and prove the positive.

Formerly AKA Pete

One point, though, is that this zero OPS probably isn't far off of what Scooter will put up against LHP when he's healthy and in the lineup, to argue it the other direction.

I'm just not a big believer in throwing out contradictory data by using a carefully chosen end point or extrapolating PH ABs to regular at bats.

Formerly AKA Pete

One point, though, is that this zero OPS probably isn't far off of what Scooter will put up against LHP when he's healthy and in the lineup, to argue it the other direction.

I'm just not a big believer in throwing out contradictory data by using a carefully chosen end point or extrapolating PH ABs to regular at bats.

We argued this a little bit in another thread. One side is using batting average in high-A ball to prove he can hit lefties, the other is using an outlier, horrendously bad season in the majors. I think if you really go all the way up the charts, though, he has never hit lefties very well at any level other than maybe a sample of 50 or so ABs at a lower level.

There's also a pretty good chance he doesn't OPS that against lefties again as well.

He's a career .261/.385/.448 hitter against lefties. You can hate the defense, you can hate using a roster spot on a 2B, corner OF only but you can't hate the bat against lefties.

Archived