Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks Signs with Mariners - $2 Mil plus incentives

Bombers
More reading Mariners blogs, I forgot that Billy Hall was traded there, so Z tries Hart, Hall and Weeks. Seems incomplete without Prince.

Weren't the Mariners a possibility for Prince when he left us? I seem to remember the Mariners as being an interested party at the time...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was also asked to switch position mid season. I think if we would have asked him in the off season he would have at least tried. There's a huge difference switching in the off season/spring training instead of in June

Yeah, a few weeks of spring training to get accustomed to a new position would make a difference.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

so he's okay with playing in the OF in seattle, but not in Milwaukee?

He had a bit more leverage to say 'No' in Milwaukee to playing OF as he was already under contract; it just meant he might not see as many at-bats (he didn't).

He has/had little-to-no leverage this offseason as he was a FA; I'm sure he was a bit more receptive to playing OF as it would likely lead to getting paid in 2015.

Remember when Soriano tried to refuse to play outfield in Washington several years ago? He was told in no uncertain terms he will play where the team tells him to play or he will suspended by the team and not get paid. Suddenly he was open to the idea. I really don't think leverage had anything to do with it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm really surprised that he was able to get guaranteed money. I've been a big Weeks booster in the past, but the guy is washed up. I suppose he's OK off the bench, but he doesn't do anything particularly well offensively and has limited to no versatility in the field.

Offensively it seems to me he had a pretty good season last year. Had he been open to playing some OF and done a decent job out there he may still be a Brewer. The Weeks hatred never made a lot of sense to me.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He was also asked to switch position mid season. I think if we would have asked him in the off season he would have at least tried. There's a huge difference switching in the off season/spring training instead of in June

Yeah, a few weeks of spring training to get accustomed to a new position would make a difference.

To me that was the most important part. If they had asked in the offseason it would have been different. I also think it was kind of stupid for them to ask Weeks to play in the OF. Seemed like a knee jerk reaction to me.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

For all we know, they could have asked Weeks to shag flies before the season for years. The whole story line of it being proposed mid season seems like a rationalization for the people who love the guy.

Maybe I'm wrong, but so far the only thing that I've seen or heard are fans saying other fans say that he was a victim of sorts.

Over the years, there were about a half dozen things he refused to do and I've forgotten most of them. I don't really care and the people who love him will love him regardless and those who don't, won't.

At least last season Rock stopped with the "nobody work's harder than Rickie" which was usually accompanied by "Rickie knows he should have made that play." Time and time again he would say that, yet most aspects of his fielding never changed. He got better at routine grounders hit right at him. His turn at 2nd went from a wild whip of the ball that you don't really want to see in rookie ball to, I don't know - less scary? But it doesn't seem like much given the hundreds and hundreds of hours of practice and no, he was never "decent" as a prominent Brewers blogger claimed or average as is frequently stated.

Formerly AKA Pete

Wasn't Rickie a CF in college? I don't know how he'll do in the OF but I can't see him finding much playing time at any position in Seattle. It helps that Cano is lefty hitter so he might get 4 or 5 starts at 2B against tough lefties. They just signed Nelson Cruz to be their DH and they have two other players in Logan Morrison and Jesus Montero who are pretty much stuck at DH and 1B. Even their OF is pretty well set. Barring injury or trade I just can't see Rickie getting that many PA's in Seattle. I can't believe he didn't get any offers from teams that would have had better situations for him.

Wasn't Rickie a CF in college? I don't know how he'll do in the OF but I can't see him finding much playing time at any position in Seattle. It helps that Cano is lefty hitter so he might get 4 or 5 starts at 2B against tough lefties. They just signed Nelson Cruz to be their DH and they have two other players in Logan Morrison and Jesus Montero who are pretty much stuck at DH and 1B. Even their OF is pretty well set. Barring injury or trade I just can't see Rickie getting that many PA's in Seattle. I can't believe he didn't get any offers from teams that would have had better situations for him.

Their corner OFs were all flawed LH hitters last year so he can carve out plenty of time at the corner OF spots. Most times when you'd look at their lineup vs. a LHP you'd see a bunch of RH names that you have never heard of (coming from somebody that knows most names going down into AA or AAA for most teams).

He'll probably start 20-30 games in the corner OF, 5 at DH, and 5 at 2B, while pinch-hitting when the other team brings in a lefty late in the game when he doesn't start. Maybe 250 PA?

so he's okay with playing in the OF in seattle, but not in Milwaukee?

He had a bit more leverage to say 'No' in Milwaukee to playing OF as he was already under contract; it just meant he might not see as many at-bats (he didn't).

He has/had little-to-no leverage this offseason as he was a FA; I'm sure he was a bit more receptive to playing OF as it would likely lead to getting paid in 2015.

he had no leverage in Milwaukee, he was a free agent, who was not going to get his PA to vest his option by sitting on the bench because he refused to play anywhere but 2B. Infact, he probably hurt his offseason by NOT playing in the OF in milwaukee when he had the change (pre-Parra). If he could have shown any ability in the OF in Milwaukee he might have gotten more than a 1 year/2mil contract to be a back up 2B, 4/5th OF in Seattle.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'd guess this would be the lineup (order may not be perfect)

vs. RHP

1. CF - Jackson (soft platoon: Jones may get ABs vs. tough RHP)

2. 2B - Cano

3. 3B - Seager

4. DH - Cruz

5. RF - Smith

6. 1B - LoMo

7. C - Zunino - Days off against tough RHP

8. SS - Taylor/Miller - Miller against tougher RHP maybe.

9. LF - Ackley

vs. LHP

1. CF - Jackson

2. 2B - Cano (Weeks every once in a blue moon)

3. 3B - Seager

4. DH - Cruz

5. RF - Weeks

6. C - Zunino

7. 1B - Montero

8. SS - Taylor

9. LF - Ruggiano

Super-utility: Bloomquist

Backup C: Sucre - Gets ABs vs. tough RHP

I like that offense quite a bit, actually.

I'm generally a Weeks supporter and usually defended him as people bashed him over the last few years. I just hate it when fans boo the home team/players, as David Puddy would "you gotta support the team".

However, i wish he would've been willing to try some other positions last year. Since we were limited with having to carry Wang all season it really could've helped. The thing that didn't make sense is that he had big financial incentive to do it. He had a PA clause in his contract that if he hit would have gave him a one year extension at like 12mil(not sure exactly but it was real money, not the 2 mil he's getting now). If he would've done well in LF early in the year when Davis was struggling he could've gotten a lot of ABs there. Then when Ramirez went down he could've gotten some more there, and if Scooter would've went down then all of a sudden he would have had enough ABs and made a bunch of money. On top of that, as someone else mentioned, it would've made him much more desirable to other teams if he'd proven that he can play the corners or 3B at an adequate level.

Today I was coaching a team of 13 year olds in Australia. I tell a player to move from 3rd base to shortstop. He says 'I dont like shortstop'. (He closed out a couple of wins for us earlier in the season, but he has since told me he does not like pitching. After the 'I dont like pitching, I asked him if he will try catching - he is a talented guy; of course he does not like to try catching)

Anyway, today, then, I move him to the bench and loudly say 'if a player wont play the position he is asked, he can play the bench'.

So, now I am mumbling aloud so the parents can here. I say, to myself, 'how can you have players in a team who refuse to play the position that is the most benefit to the team; how can I have players telling me they will only play here or there?'

A parent calls out 'you mean like that Rickie Weeks guy'. (this is on a club baseball ground in Australia - ha ha!)

I'm generally a Weeks supporter and usually defended him as people bashed him over the last few years. I just hate it when fans boo the home team/players, as David Puddy would "you gotta support the team".

However, i wish he would've been willing to try some other positions last year. Since we were limited with having to carry Wang all season it really could've helped. The thing that didn't make sense is that he had big financial incentive to do it. He had a PA clause in his contract that if he hit would have gave him a one year extension at like 12mil(not sure exactly but it was real money, not the 2 mil he's getting now). If he would've done well in LF early in the year when Davis was struggling he could've gotten a lot of ABs there. Then when Ramirez went down he could've gotten some more there, and if Scooter would've went down then all of a sudden he would have had enough ABs and made a bunch of money. On top of that, as someone else mentioned, it would've made him much more desirable to other teams if he'd proven that he can play the corners or 3B at an adequate level.

In general I agree it would have helped his marketability this off season but there was no way the Brewers were going to let him get enough plate appearances to vest that option.

If they asked him to move during the offseason, why did they wait till May to throw him under the bus? Why would they ask him to move during the offseason with both corner OF spots filled? They traded a guy and moved Braun to make room for Davis. There was zero sense asking Weeks to move even when they did. There was no place to move him to until Davis slumped. I am happy he refused. It would have been stupid to move Weeks off 2B.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm not claiming they did ask him to work at other positions but if they did it would have been far from stupid. It wasn't about where they needed help at that moment as much as where they might need help at some point. Things happen over the course of a season. Having the flexibility to adjust to them matters. There is no conceivable scenario where having a bench player who can only play one position is better than one who can play more than one. It's why so many fringe players work so hard to be more versatile. I don't see how asking a bench player to be more versatile is stupid.

^^^This.

There are a ton of ways Weeks could've gotten used to the OF before appearing in a game AFTER spring training was over. He could've been shagging flies in BP for months. He could've come out early with the coaches hitting fungoes to the OF. The fact is, Weeks said "no" to playing the OF. That the Brewers asked him to play the OF & then stated that he refused is a simple fact -- the sort of response typically offered in response to a reporter's question, not voluntarily reported -- and NOT throwing the guy under the bus.

I liked much about Rickie Weeks over the years including his work ethic, his professionalism, and his willingness to take responsibility for his mistakes. The guy played as hard as he could and went all-out. But his single-mindedness about not playing other positions, especially in the past year when the team could've used it & he was bound for FA and would've benefited by proving (or improving) his versatility, still seems like a foolish if not crazy stance on his part. . . . Then again, FA & unemployment into the 2nd week of February perhaps finally got his attention & changed his perspective.

I think Weeks refusing to play anywhere other than 2B was an ego/pride thing, especially after the Brewers (understandably) maneuvered his playing time to ensure that he lost out on a sizable vesting option. For a former elite prospect who for a while was one of the best starting 2B in the world, it's difficult to admit that you were bumped by a non-prospect (Gennett) into a utility role. I understand it from his perspective to a certain extent, but he could have really helped the Brewers if he had played (for example) 1B/3B on occasion.

Today I was coaching a team of 13 year olds in Australia. I tell a player to move from 3rd base to shortstop. He says 'I dont like shortstop'. (He closed out a couple of wins for us earlier in the season, but he has since told me he does not like pitching. After the 'I dont like pitching, I asked him if he will try catching - he is a talented guy; of course he does not like to try catching)

Anyway, today, then, I move him to the bench and loudly say 'if a player wont play the position he is asked, he can play the bench'.

So, now I am mumbling aloud so the parents can here. I say, to myself, 'how can you have players in a team who refuse to play the position that is the most benefit to the team; how can I have players telling me they will only play here or there?'

A parent calls out 'you mean like that Rickie Weeks guy'. (this is on a club baseball ground in Australia - ha ha!)

That made me laugh and it made me sad that kids these days aren't so into doing what they don't want to do.

It'd be interesting to know the facts, including how it came out that he wouldn't have anything to do with the outfield and if he was ever asked to just practice out there.

I think as a phenomenon, the intense fandom he has generated is interesting. He hit like crazy in the minors - that creates lots of positive buzz, in the majors Melvin and the media were constantly referring to him in extremely positive ways like Rock and his "no one works harder," and he hit for a lot of power. It isn't just chicks that dig the long ball. That constant repetition of positive messages creates attachment, at least that's my theory. In contrast the Brewers are dominated by negative messages from a lot of quarters. That's a topic unto itself.

I think its sad that some of the #teamrickie crowd, have ended up as basically Gennett haters. I remember reading the ESPN Brewers blog and someone there proudly quoted just a fantastic rant by Jason Parks where he compared Gennett to Aaron Miles. To the blogger it was like an attorney revealing a tape of a defendant with gun in hand.

Parks is with the Cubs now and that's a good thing.

Formerly AKA Pete

My guess is Weeks didn't want to risk injury by moving when his contract was almost up and it was clear we didn't want to keep him. Then in the offseason it became clear he wasn't going to get offered a starting job at 2B so to get a contract he agreed to work on OF. Just a guy taking care of his own interests instead of the teams.

"In general I agree it would have helped his marketability this off season but there was no way the Brewers were going to let him get enough plate appearances to vest that option."

Obviously they didn't want that to happen. But as I said, if Scooter would've gotten hurt with says 40-50 games left and Rickie had all those ABs already in place they wouldn't have had a choice (since they were in the playoff hunt) and MKE would've lost an arbitration ruling on it if they refused to play him.

I suppose I agree with everyone else. He felt he was being shafted and it was an ego thing and thought for sure he'd get a starting job this offseason. Really I'm surprised he didn't end up somewhere he would at least have a chance at competing for the 2B spot in spring training, like a Tor or San Fran.

I am probably in the minority, but I'd have probably done this deal for the Brewers if he agreed to play corner OF.

The only weakness being left is pretty bad defense in the corner OF spots off the bench (not including Parra, who is great).

I'd have gone back to the full platoon at 2B and let him play the corner OF spots here and there (5th OF). He'd also be a decent bat off the bench.

I am probably in the minority, but I'd have probably done this deal for the Brewers if he agreed to play corner OF.

The only weakness being left is pretty bad defense in the corner OF spots off the bench (not including Parra, who is great).

I'd have gone back to the full platoon at 2B and let him play the corner OF spots here and there (5th OF). He'd also be a decent bat off the bench.

I too would have done this deal if he was willing to play OF. Probably would have given him a mil or more too to make it happen. Dude OPS'd .865 against lefties last year and had a .357 OBP overall. Scooter will never come close to touching either of those number.

I too would have done this deal if he was willing to play OF. Probably would have given him a mil or more too to make it happen. Dude OPS'd .865 against lefties last year and had a .357 OBP overall. Scooter will never come close to touching either of those number.

Couldn't agree more. Had he been open to playing a corner OF spot, we may be having a different conversation, like possibly finishing his career in Milwaukee. For those who say he would've been horrible out there, it is pretty hard to judge since we have never seen him play out there.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived