Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News & Discussion 2015–16

jjgott
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Since he was drafted, I've been really impressed with SS Carlos Correa. His performance this year has been pretty amazing. The kid is still only 20 years old (21 next month).

60 games: .286 BA, .358 OBP, .890 OPS. His defense - at a premium position - is looking better than average (but that's just 60 games).

If you extrapolated his 60 games into a full season, here's his stat line:

GP: 150, AB: 577, HR: 35, RBI: 95, SB: 25, BA: .286, OBP: .358, OPS: .890

These numbers are sniffing MVP territory - and the kid will probably only get better, at least as a hitter. If he continues to fill out his range might diminish at SS, but for now he looks fine.

Astros scored huge with this pick.

Gomez seems to really be struggling with the bat. Only hitting .188 since going to Houston (16 games), and saw a highlight of him breaking a bat over his thigh recently (after a couple tries.)

This makes it sound like he's at least had trouble in the Tampa Bay series in CF, though not sure with what exactly. I was going to say the Astros announcers sounded really frustrated with him, but I think this is the Rays' crew? Could be wrong.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v383431783/tbhou-casali-bloops-a-double-into-center-in-the-7th/?game_pk=415435

Has anyone been watching any Astros games to see how he's been doing in the field?

Either way, I'm rooting for both Parra and Carlos. They're easy guys to root for, and it's good to see Parra coming back around. Hopefully Gomez isn't far behind.

Carlos Gomez apparently still doesn't play the game the right way, even for the Astros. The Yankees took offense to something he did, possibly that he lightly grazed someone on a slide.

I was surprised that McCann wasn't the catcher during that exchange.

'If you misunderstand the way I play the game, it's your fault'

That is pretty awesome and also correct. The Yankees should be more concerned about their lazy defense on the play that allowed Gomez to get a hustle double.

'If you misunderstand the way I play the game, it's your fault'

That is pretty awesome and also correct. The Yankees should be more concerned about their lazy defense on the play that allowed Gomez to get a hustle double.

It's interesting to me that baseball in general still hasn't come to grips with the fact that the Cuban/Latin/Dominican players play the game with a lot of heart and passion and flair. They aren't "disrespecting" the game, that's just how they learned how to play. I love watching guys like Puig, Gomez, etc, etc. It's not the wrong way to play, it's just a different way to play. Someday the starched collar ways of the hierarchy will accept that, and we'll move on. Some day.

http://m.mets.mlb.com/news/article/145548668/mets-putting-quick-pitch-incident-behind-them

Can someone explain the deal here? The Mets pitcher threw a pitch just after the batter stepped in the box. The umpire yells time in the middle of the pitch and everything is fine until Jeff Francauer starts yelling from the dugout. You can hear him yell something about getting hit in the head or something like that. The umpire tells him to sit down because he's running onto the field. Larry Bowa gets upset and gets tossed. On his way out he gets into an argument with Daniel Murphy and motions that they are going to drill him in the ribs.

So the pitch was no where near the batter. It was an 82 MPH fastball right down the middle. Clearly, once the ump called time the pitcher slowed down and just lobbed the pitch in there like he should have done. The pitch should have been legal too because I didn't see the ump with his hand up calling time before the pitch. In fact, he was in his crouch behind the catcher waiting for the pitch and then just inexplicably called time. The batter had two feet in the box. Play is on. I don't see what the problem is here. If the hitter isn't going to pay attention when he has two feet in the box, that's his problem, not the pitcher's.

http://m.mets.mlb.com/news/article/145548668/mets-putting-quick-pitch-incident-behind-them

Can someone explain the deal here? The Mets pitcher threw a pitch just after the batter stepped in the box. The umpire yells time in the middle of the pitch and everything is fine until Jeff Francouer starts yelling from the dugout. You can hear him yell something about getting hit in the head or something like that. The umpire tells him to sit down because he's running onto the field. Larry Bowa gets upset and gets tossed. On his way out he gets into an argument with Daniel Murphy and motions that they are going to drill him in the ribs.

[rural auto mechanic's voice] Welp, that's yer problum right thar...[/]

Dude is a bit of a knob

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Can someone explain the deal here? The Mets pitcher threw a pitch just after the batter stepped in the box. The umpire yells time in the middle of the pitch and everything is fine until Jeff Francouer starts yelling from the dugout. You can hear him yell something about getting hit in the head or something like that. The umpire tells him to sit down because he's running onto the field. Larry Bowa gets upset and gets tossed. On his way out he gets into an argument with Daniel Murphy and motions that they are going to drill him in the ribs.

Dude is a bit of a knob

I guess that and Bowa too. If you watch it those are the only two that have that reaction. I think that batter was actually laughing at everything that was going on.

How fun would it be to be a Toronto fan right now. That team just flat out mashes offensively and now their pitching is pretty good. If they only score 5-6 runs in a game, it's almost an off day for that offense.

That would be fun. It's a pretty formidable offense - and the pitching is better.

How fun would it be to be a Toronto fan right now. That team just flat out mashes offensively and now their pitching is pretty good. If they only score 5-6 runs in a game, it's almost an off day for that offense.

It would sure be a treat to get to watch Donaldson.

Dude is a bit of a knob

I guess that and Bowa too. If you watch it those are the only two that have that reaction. I think that batter was actually laughing at everything that was going on.

Yeah. If you're in a baseball-rumble & the instigators are Francoeur & Bowa, chances are good that it might've started from nothing at all.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived