Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News & Discussion 2015–16

jjgott
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/73955164/v485395383/chcpit-baez-nabs-florimon-with-95mph-throw-home

Since we're posting videos can someone explain how this is not blocking the plate without the ball? They even reviewed it and he was still out. Doesn't standing spread eagle over the plate without the ball constitute blocking the plate?

I guess I will never understand the blocking the plate rules. To me, that seems like the exact thing a catcher is no longer allowed to do.

Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher without possession of the ball blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe. Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule 7.13 if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the Umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable

It seemed to me the catcher could have fielded the ball without blocking the path of the runner, he didn't even leave a pathway, but I guess the umps thought otherwise.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone catch this from the Mariners/Angels game last night?

Seager took the first pitch, stepped out of the box, stepped back in the box, called time again, and Weaver started to show some irritation.

Seager than made a big display of calling time again while he made a display of digging in and settling into the box, and then Weaver drilled him right in the back.

http://deadspin.com/kyle-seager-trolled-jered-weaver-into-getting-ejected-1731318062

Once you're in the box, be ready to hit.

I don't ever call for intentional HBP, but Seager was being a punk.

I thought Seager was amazing. Just expert trolling. Tremendous.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/73955164/v485395383/chcpit-baez-nabs-florimon-with-95mph-throw-home

Since we're posting videos can someone explain how this is not blocking the plate without the ball? They even reviewed it and he was still out. Doesn't standing spread eagle over the plate without the ball constitute blocking the plate?

If you look the catcher was giving him the lane but the threw took the catcher into the path of the runner. Since the catcher is allowed to move into the path to catch the ball, he wasn't considered to be blocking home plate.

When you think about this rule even more, it's even dumber than it was when it was first instituted because now coaches are going to be teaching their players to throw inside towards 3rd base so they can't be called for blocking the plate because the throw took them there, which is more dangerous than it was before.

Speaking of a changeup, when i watch Peralta pitch, i often find myself thinking man he could be really good if he just had a semi-reliable change to offset everything he throws being hard.

He just needs to throw it harder. Then they won't be able to hit it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just finished "Big Data Baseball" about the Pirates. It's a great read and not as "staty" as Moneyball. What boggles my mind is that the Pirates' data guys showed the players and coaches where batters hit ground balls and said that the fielders should play there. Such a simple and logical concept, yet, this was met with hostility.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just finished "Big Data Baseball" about the Pirates. It's a great read and not as "staty" as Moneyball. What boggles my mind is that the Pirates' data guys showed the players and coaches where batters hit ground balls and said that the fielders should play there. Such a simple and logical concept, yet, this was met with hostility.

People often ignore data and science because it threatens pre-conceived notions, or it questions their 'expertise', or because it simply is something they don't 'get' or can't figure out.

And it's not just rejecting data, it's being hostile to it, degrading it, belittling it, embracing questionable contrary views, and actively embrace the ignorance of it all.

I don't know about the Pirates, but they seem to have found a formula that's giving them some success.

I'm not saying this out of Cubs hate, but that isn't anywhere remotely close to being one of the best plays you'll see a shortstop makes. Various guys at that position make similar diving plays like that with a quick flip to secondbase all of the time.

A quick search on youtube and here are just two Ozzie Smith numerous gems, one from Vizquel, and even one from Segura which i think is tougher.

Over the last 5 seasons, Mike Trout has produced the most fWAR in all of MLB, 38.5. The next closest is Clayton Kershaw at 38.3 (36.4 pitching + 1.9 batting), while the next closest position player is Andrew McCutchen at 33.3. This despite Trout only accumulating 135 plate appearances and 0.7 fWAR in 2011. So essentially over the last four seasons Mike Trout has been better than anyone else has been over the last five. He will likely have only one MVP award to show for those four seasons.

It should also be mentioned that the only reason the Angles had pick number 25 in the 2009 draft instead of the Brewers was because Elias had Teixeira ranked higher than CC so the Angels got the Yankees first rounder and we got their second rounder.

Read an article in USA Today about how people hate the Cardinals. The writer's conclusion was that it's because people are jealous that they win all the time. Apparently the writer doesn't know it's actually because they are dicks who [expletive deleted by moderator] and moan when other teams do to them the same thing they do to other teams.

Here's a great feature on Zack Greinke:

The mastery and mystery of Zack Greinke

So much is covered that it's hard pick things to highlight. I get a kick out of this little ditty from a Dodgers team meeting…

Some of you guys have been doing the No. 2 and not washing your hands ... So if you guys could just be better about it, that would be great.

And this spring, Zack, Doug Melvin, and their wives had dinner together.

…he's the same old Zack. We were talking about the cars we're driving, and I said we had a Lexus. And he said, 'But that's for old people.' My wife and I laughed all the way home. We are old people.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 2 weeks later...

Phillys bloodbath starts

The Phillies announced today that former top prospect and starting right fielder Domonic Brown has been outrighted off their 40-man roster. As a player with more than three years of big league service time, Brown will have the option to elect free agency rather than accepting an assignment to Triple-A. Also outrighted were catcher/first baseman Tommy Joseph, outfielder Brian Bogusevic and outfielder Kelly Dugan.

Brown and Joseph were top guys in their farm system at one point

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Some of you guys have been doing the No. 2 and not washing your hands ... So if you guys could just be better about it, that would be great.

I wonder if he was wearing suspenders and sipping from his coffee mug when he said that...

429305c2bcc46d9b1149c0622d4e187d.jpg

Archived