Brewer Fanatic

Random MLB News & Discussion 2015–16

jjgott
This is random minor leagues new but worth posting anyway.

The Oklahoma City Dodgers and Iowa Cubs played a 19 inning game yesterday. And then played the second game of their doubleheader.

Ouch. You'd think they would have just rescheduled the second game by that point. I suppose all ten fans in the stands by that point wanted their money's worth, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is random minor leagues new but worth posting anyway.

The Oklahoma City Dodgers and Iowa Cubs played a 19 inning game yesterday. And then played the second game of their doubleheader.

Even more gloriousness from this game. One of the Dodgers relievers was promoted from AA for game 2 and drove himself there.

Can someone help me out with a(nother) random question? Not sure why this popped up in my head, but I was wondering if the following scenario would be a no-hitter or a perfect game: Let's say we're in the bottom of the 7th inning with a perfect game intact. The hitter skies a pop-up into foul territory, but the first baseman drops it. It is ruled an error, but the pitcher ends up getting him out anyway, and everyone else out to finish up his... perfect game? No-hitter? I don't think this scenario would ever happen, but who knows. Does an error like this -- where it doesn't put a runner on -- mean that it can still be a perfect game? Or because there is a '1' in the error column, regardless of whether he reached based, it is ruled a no-hitter?

Well, I do believe that it would still be a no-hitter (assuming he finishes the game, of course) but I'd think the perfect game goes out the window. I could very well be wrong about that, though.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Can someone help me out with a(nother) random question? Not sure why this popped up in my head, but I was wondering if the following scenario would be a no-hitter or a perfect game: Let's say we're in the bottom of the 7th inning with a perfect game intact. The hitter skies a pop-up into foul territory, but the first baseman drops it. It is ruled an error, but the pitcher ends up getting him out anyway, and everyone else out to finish up his... perfect game? No-hitter? I don't think this scenario would ever happen, but who knows. Does an error like this -- where it doesn't put a runner on -- mean that it can still be a perfect game? Or because there is a '1' in the error column, regardless of whether he reached based, it is ruled a no-hitter?

This says it's still perfect

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Foul_territory

I'm pretty sure a perfect game is just 27 up, 27 down with no one reaching base. Whatever else happens is irrelevant.

Who's the runner, Johnny Estrada?

Edit - my mistake, originally thought you were saying the ball was hit into play, the 1B dropped it, but the pitcher still tagged the guy out a first :laughing

David Ortiz hit 500th homer this weekend. I just had PTI on and the question was is he a first ballot HOF, Tony said due to controversy around him he'll be a second ballot. I've long said I think Ortiz and Pudge are going to skate into the hall because for some reason they've been given a pass by the media on PEDs. I also think Pettit gets a pass too and might sneak into the hall, I believe he's already being given a monument thing at Yankee stadium. I find this to make no sense, guys like Bonds, Clemens, Mcguire can't go in due to PEDs but these guys can?

The writers can't make up their minds about how they feel about steroids. Overall, they're appalled and want to condemn everyone who was the least bit connected to them. However certain guys get a pass. Jason Giambi and Pettite because they owned up to it. Ortiz because he's friendly to the media. No one cares about the guys from the biogenesis scandal except for Braun and ARod. Really the whole thing is stupid. Just look at the statsheet. Ignore the name attached to the stats.

Also keep in mind that Ortiz is a DH, which they use against Edgar Martinez. If you play for the Red Sox though, anything goes I guess. I'd actually give the passes to the guys that were good regardless like Bonds, Arod, etc. Ortiz wasn't very good for several years, then likely started doing something (and back then they were using real steroids) and then got good. Guys like him or Brady Anderson shouldn't. Personally, I don't care who did or didn't, I just mean if you're giving a pass at all I'd give it to the top guys who were good anyway.

Ortiz might have been doing something but he was always a power hitter in the minors. I think the biggest thing for him was getting away from Minnesota who were more interested in bunting and hitting ground balls to the right side than hitting for power. His OPS increased 150 points when he went to Boston so I think the combination of playing for a team that let him play to his strengths and playing in a more power friendly ballpark (along with maybe some juice from Manny) are what helped him the most.

I don't think any of those guys will get a pass. Many voters have shown they will not vote for guys that might have used like Bagwell or Piazza. No chance Pettitte gets voted in. Maybe by the time Ortiz retires and waits his 5 years things will die down a bit.

I don't think any of those guys will get a pass. Many voters have shown they will not vote for guys that might have used like Bagwell or Piazza. No chance Pettitte gets voted in. Maybe by the time Ortiz retires and waits his 5 years things will die down a bit.

Seems blatantly unfair that guys who were only suspected of using PED's are lumped into the same category as guys who have admitted to it or were directly implicated in the Mitchell Report.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Did anyone catch this from the Mariners/Angels game last night?

Seager took the first pitch, stepped out of the box, stepped back in the box, called time again, and Weaver started to show some irritation.

Seager than made a big display of calling time again while he made a display of digging in and settling into the box, and then Weaver drilled him right in the back.

http://deadspin.com/kyle-seager-trolled-jered-weaver-into-getting-ejected-1731318062

Once you're in the box, be ready to hit.

I don't ever call for intentional HBP, but Seager was being a punk.

Seager took the first pitch, stepped out of the box, stepped back in the box, called time again, and Weaver started to show some irritation.

Seager than made a big display of calling time again while he made a display of digging in and settling into the box, and then Weaver drilled him right in the back.

http://deadspin.com/kyle-seager-trolled-jered-weaver-into-getting-ejected-1731318062

Similar to what the Pirates did to Davies. The ump doesn't have to give time. Just because Seager is standing in the box with his hand up acting like a jack wagon doesn't mean you give him time. I like that Weaver wasted no time and just drilled him right away. Too bad Weaver only throws mid 80's.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v485731983/chcpit-kang-exits-with-injury-after-double-play

Chris Coghlan slide on Kang: dirty or hard slide? I'll probably side more on dirty here. He slid away from the bag with his feet up. I would expect Cole or Burnett to give him one in the ear the next time either faces him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v485731983/chcpit-kang-exits-with-injury-after-double-play

Chris Coghlan slide on Kang: dirty or hard slide? I'll probably side more on dirty here. He slid away from the bag with his feet up. I would expect Cole or Burnett to give him one in the ear the next time either faces him.

I think Coghlan was doing his job to break up the DP. He was within reach of the bag there. Kang could have done more to move/jump get out of the way of the runner ..... definitely not placing blame on him, just saying that a lot of guys will jump or try to step over the sliding runner.

That being said, I do expect Coghlan to take one in the numbers next time they play. That's just the way it goes.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/73955164/v485395383/chcpit-baez-nabs-florimon-with-95mph-throw-home

Since we're posting videos can someone explain how this is not blocking the plate without the ball? They even reviewed it and he was still out. Doesn't standing spread eagle over the plate without the ball constitute blocking the plate?

Not sure where I read it but it sounds like he did it on purpose. I wouldn't say he was being a punk, he was goading the guy and Weaver took the bait, hurting his team. Kind of like in basketball if you know the other team has a hothead you'll kind of keep poking at him and you know eventually he'll shove you and get a T. This kind of falls in the other topic about gomez and unwritten rules. Seager harmlessly stepped out for whatever reason, just like many do every game. For some reason an old pitcher takes offense to it, Seager chuckles and says [expletive deleted by moderator] this guy and keeps goading him until he gets himself tossed. Then laugh about how stupid the pitcher was for getting worked up about a guy stepping out of the box.

Seems blatantly unfair that guys who were only suspected of using PED's are lumped into the same category as guys who have admitted to it or were directly implicated in the Mitchell Report.

And not only that, to then give a pass to guys who failed the test (Ortiz) or admitted it (Pettite) while holding it against people with no evidence like Piazza/Bagwell. The ridiculousness of the hypocrisy in PEDs is one of the biggest reasons I just don't care about it.

Jericho, I thought the same thing on that slide. Was expecting them to actually enforce the no block rule there. I'm in fantasy playoffs this week and have the Cubs closer so had a vested interest and was paying attention to it.

Marco Estrada with 8 shutout innings tonight. On the year now

13-8

3.14 ERA

1.07 WHIP

I wondered how he'd do in the AL and a hitter friendly park, but he's been outstanding for the Blue Jays. Marco will always be home run prone, but outside of that, he a good pitcher. Hopefully Toronto holds on to win the division and Marco gets a chance to pitch in the postseason.

I have a soft spot for players/pitchers like him who weren't blessed with a great arm and was stuck in the minors for awhile, but managed to become a quality MLB pitcher by developing command overall, along with a really good secondary pitch, his being a great changeup.

Speaking of a changeup, when i watch Peralta pitch, i often find myself thinking man he could be really good if he just had a semi-reliable change to offset everything he throws being hard.

Archived