Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy out 4-6 weeks (Hamstring)

Baldkin
This goes back to the Aaron Rodgers thing. "Strain" = "partially torn" medically.

I'll have to ask my Physical Therapist wife about that. She's my go to for sports injury information.

BHS is correct, based on everything I've ever read about "strain"

After talking to my wife at lunch, she feels he should be healthy by opening day. Whether or not he's ready to play is another question.

Strain is a term that we use for a slight tear. Many times a slight tear is no big deal. The problem with a "strain" is that the athlete starts to feel good and goes out and pushes it too early. That is when it goes from a strain to a tear.

I'd be on the phone with Toronto asking about Navarro. Wasn't it just two years ago that Hart was only going to miss a few weeks?

If he comes back healthy, fine. With Lucroy platooning at 1B, they may need an extra catcher anyway, and Navarro is a pretty potent bench bat too.

From what I remembered he was not a good defensive catcher so i did a little digging. It appears he is not good. When you take into consideration his pitch framing he is down right bad. http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2014/8/21/6046603/dioner-navarro-quiet-disaster

The first thing a catcher has to be is at least an average catcher in my humble opinion. So no, don't give up something for a temporary offensive boost at a defense first position.

Blue Jay staff went from an ERA of 4.25 in 2013 to 4.00 in 2014 with Navarro as primary catcher. More importantly he's been a 2.3 WAR player the last 2 seasons. Lucroy's solid defensively though some feel "pitch framing" is way overrated as a skill. Lucroy's value to the team comes primarily from his bat too.

Navarro is not a premier catcher but the drop off from Lucroy to Navarro is less severe that from Lucroy to Maldonado. With a team that has little margin for error even 1 or 2 games difference is significant.

This sounds like the veteran move to cut down on the amount of work in spring training. Its a slight worry in that it could linger, but the time frame for healing really sounds like they are giving him as much time as possible.

Blue Jay staff went from an ERA of 4.25 in 2013 to 4.00 in 2014 with Navarro as primary catcher. More importantly he's been a 2.3 WAR player the last 2 seasons. Lucroy's solid defensively though some feel "pitch framing" is way overrated as a skill. Lucroy's value to the team comes primarily from his bat too.

Navarro is not a premier catcher but the drop off from Lucroy to Navarro is less severe that from Lucroy to Maldonado. With a team that has little margin for error even 1 or 2 games difference is significant.

Beyond the myriad factors that could influence the staff ERAs, how about just changes in personnel? Were there any?

Whatever value you assign to pitch framing, one guy is bad and the other good. If you don't personally believe its significant, there are other aspects of defense and one is good and the other bad.

The only way to make an argument about their offensive ability is to use total slash lines and ignore playing time considerations. If Maldonado has similar numbers as a starter and better numbers as a substitute, I can't think of an argument for Navarro other than he's older.

Formerly AKA Pete

Maldonado plays elite defense, and isn't completely awful with the bat. He could start on at least a couple of other teams. I have no problem with him taking a couple weeks of starts or more if something happens.

If the team is going to go looking for depth, I think 3b, Cf and SP are much more pressing areas of concern for the roster.

advocates for the devil

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/108952454/brewers-jonathan-lucroy-injures-hamstring

That's the link to the article on the Brewers' site, which covers it pretty well.

The good news: "Even at the more conservative end of his prognosis, Lucroy should be able to play by the time the Brewers open the regular season April 6 against the Rockies."

Then there's this: "But it will limit his participation in Spring Training games, which is notable since Lucroy was to see additional time at first base to prepare as a potential platoon partner for new first baseman Adam Lind. Lucroy started 16 games at the position in 2013, a figure that could double if the plan goes through."

Call me crazy, but I kind of think this could turn into a good thing. Lucroy, like any catcher, needs days off. I dislike the idea of him spending all of his "off days" playing first base, so hopefully this injury forces the Brewers to look at other options for RH side of the 1B platoon, which could lead to some days off for Lucroy.

Gord Ash summed it up nicely: "This is not great news. We can't pretend that this is good news," Ash said of Lucroy. "But given that this is Feb. 11, we do have time."

It could easily lead to a slow start until he gets "caught up" to the pitchers, and it could be something that bugs him through the season, but I'd bet he'll get most of the starts throughout the season, and I don't think this is a reason to do anything drastic personnel-wise. In the unlikely scenario that a few weeks go by and there's no progress, then Melvin may want to do something.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Gord Ash summed it up nicely: "This is not great news. We can't pretend that this is good news," Ash said of Lucroy. "But given that this is Feb. 11, we do have time."

...unless your name is Jason Rogers, in which case this is great news. Even if Lucroy is the primary option to play 1b when Lind sits, there's added impetus to keep a RH option on the bench to play the corner infield spots in order to give Lucroy an occasional day off in April.

...unless your name is Jason Rogers, in which case this is great news. Even if Lucroy is the primary option to play 1b when Lind sits, there's added impetus to keep a RH option on the bench to play the corner infield spots in order to give Lucroy an occasional day off in April.

Not to derail the thread too much, but my guess is that Jimenez, who is out of options, is first in line to be the primary backup corner IF. Rogers, who has options, will probably be starting in AAA.

But you may be right, they may like Jimenez's defense at 3B, but if they're looking for a bat-first guy to be the RH part of a 1B platoon, they may like Rogers for that role. I'd guess Rogers only makes the 25-man if they are comfortable with only four OF, as they need someone like Hector Gomez on the roster to back up SS

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Absolutely 0 worry on my end. Its 6 weeks at most currently which leaves Lucroy a few days til Opening Day. No need to over-react.

I agree that he should be fine, and there is no need to over-react, but there are no absolutes with these injuries. It's easy to feel better and then try running and re-strain the hammy, setting you back to day one. Thankfully, it appears the Brewers are being very careful, and won't let him go until they're sure it's healed... of course, he hurt this last year, and it was healed until he recently did a drill and re-injured it.

Best think going is that ST hasn't even started. If he hurt this during the season, they would probably keep him going and it would never fully heal. At least now they can rest him and it should be fine by opening day.

~Bill Walsh

Archived