Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy out 4-6 weeks (Hamstring)

Baldkin

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/291522811.html

The team announced Wednesday morning that catcher Jonathan Lucroy, one of the mainstays of the club, is expected to be sidelined four to six weeks with a mild strain of his right hamstring.

The team said the Lucroy hamstring injury was diagnosed Monday by team physician William Raasch and confirmed yesterday by physician Lee Kaplan. The Brewers did not say how Lucroy suffered the injury but I expect to talk to assistant GM Gord Ash soon to get the details, so check back on this blog.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Sign an extra scrub to catch out pitchers and let that thing heal up properly. Absolutely no reason to rush back with so much time still before opening day. Hamstrings can be a ... to let heal.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Call me pessimistic, but I think that these hamstring injuries tend to linger and that the team should be thinking about backup plans in case Luc isn't ready for Opening Day. Worst case scenario to me is trying to rush him back before he's ready and this becomes a season long nagging injury.

Remember a couple seasons ago when he played in the World Baseball Classic and then struggled to start the season due to lack of ABs in the spring? Wouldn't want a repeat of that, maybe they can get him ABs at 1B and when the DH is used in order to get him ready. No need to squat all day until he's fully ready.

I'd be on the phone with Toronto asking about Navarro. Wasn't it just two years ago that Hart was only going to miss a few weeks?

If he comes back healthy, fine. With Lucroy platooning at 1B, they may need an extra catcher anyway, and Navarro is a pretty potent bench bat too.

I'm assuming that Centeno must be someone they can trust short-term even if Lucroy isn't ready opening day, otherwise why spend a 40 man spot on him?

part of it was to have a starting catcher at colorado springs. pretty much the same reason why they made a waiver claim on shane peterson--they needed outfield help at aaa.

Navarro's value comes from platooning against LHP. I guess in Maldonado's career, he is actually surprisingly worse against LHP, but I'm not sure how well this works. Probably not worth the money. Navarro has a .660 career OPS against RHP.

Navarro had a line of .272/.315/.393 against RHP in 2014. In 2013 he posted .279/.333/.430 line vs RHP.

For a bench bat from either side or a fill in everyday catcher those are fine. Brewers need to protect against a Hart-like lingering injury situation. Maldonado's a nice backup but not a starter.

4-6 weeks is a pretty long period for a "mild" hamstring injury. So either this thing is more than just a mild strain, or they are giving a maximum recovery time for Luc so it won't have a chance to linger. I really hope its the latter.

According to rotoworld:

Lucroy said the official diagnosis was a partially torn hamstring tendon, but the Brewers are calling it a mild strain. Either way, the belief is that he'll miss 4-6 weeks, which still gives him enough time to be ready for Opening Day. "The cool thing about it is I can hit and throw and catch and not feel anything," said Lucroy. "But when I start running, I feel it. It's not that big of a deal. These things usually heal on their own. So, we gave it a little incentive to heal with the PRP insertion. It is what it is. There's no reason to panic."

Partially torn hamstring tendon does not sound like a "mild strain" to me.

I know its one of those well worn debates, but Maldonado did pretty well as a starter. I'm not going to go figure out the numbers but I believe he OPS'd in the mid 700s. If you take out Lucroy, that would probably be about 7th or 8th highest in baseball and he brings premium defense unlike guys like Gattis.

They're already in a roster spot crunch.

Formerly AKA Pete

4-6 weeks is a pretty long period for a "mild" hamstring injury. So either this thing is more than just a mild strain, or they are giving a maximum recovery time for Luc so it won't have a chance to linger. I really hope its the latter.

According to rotoworld:

Lucroy said the official diagnosis was a partially torn hamstring tendon, but the Brewers are calling it a mild strain. Either way, the belief is that he'll miss 4-6 weeks, which still gives him enough time to be ready for Opening Day. "The cool thing about it is I can hit and throw and catch and not feel anything," said Lucroy. "But when I start running, I feel it. It's not that big of a deal. These things usually heal on their own. So, we gave it a little incentive to heal with the PRP insertion. It is what it is. There's no reason to panic."

This goes back to the Aaron Rodgers thing. "Strain" = "partially torn" medically.

According to rotoworld:

This goes back to the Aaron Rodgers thing. "Strain" = "partially torn" medically.

I'll have to ask my Physical Therapist wife about that. She's my go to for sports injury information.

This was brought up similarly when people thought Aaron Rodgers' injury had worsened when the news came out of a partial tear in the playoffs...

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00111

"Hamstring muscle strain. A hamstring muscle strain is a tear or stretch of a major muscle in the back of the thigh. The injury can sideline a person for up to six months. The likely cause is muscle strength imbalance between the hamstrings and the muscles in the front of the thigh, the quadriceps. Kicking a football, running, or leaping to make a basket can pull a hamstring. Hamstring injuries tend to recur."

I'll have to ask my Physical Therapist wife about that. She's my go to for sports injury information.

BHS is correct, based on everything I've ever read about "strain"

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd be on the phone with Toronto asking about Navarro. Wasn't it just two years ago that Hart was only going to miss a few weeks?

If he comes back healthy, fine. With Lucroy platooning at 1B, they may need an extra catcher anyway, and Navarro is a pretty potent bench bat too.

From what I remembered he was not a good defensive catcher so i did a little digging. It appears he is not good. When you take into consideration his pitch framing he is down right bad. http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2014/8/21/6046603/dioner-navarro-quiet-disaster

The first thing a catcher has to be is at least an average catcher in my humble opinion. So no, don't give up something for a temporary offensive boost at a defense first position.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived