Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Chris Perez (MiLB contract w/ST invite; Latest: Opts out, now a FA (post #63))

markedman5
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Maybe someone could clarify... are we saving money by releasing Perez? I ask because looking at the numbers in spring training a guy like Blazek hasn't exactly lit it up. Not saying he was bad, but not great. Considering he hasn't proved anything at the big league level, it was hard to see them getting rid of Perez after putting together a nice spring.

I believe Perez would have made $2.5 million if he was put on the major league roster. So keeping Wooten, Thornburg or Blazek over him saves us $2 million.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Outside of the small number of truly proven and reliable relievers having a number of guys with options at the back-end not only gives you injury flexibility, but makes it easier to let those guys work out ruts in the minors. AKA riding the hot hand makes a fair amount of sense with bullpen guys.

Maybe someone could clarify... are we saving money by releasing Perez? I ask because looking at the numbers in spring training a guy like Blazek hasn't exactly lit it up. Not saying he was bad, but not great. Considering he hasn't proved anything at the big league level, it was hard to see them getting rid of Perez after putting together a nice spring.

I believe Perez would have made $2.5 million if he was put on the major league roster. So keeping Wooten, Thornburg or Blazek over him saves us $2 million.

I want to correct myself on this - I just read on ESPN that Perez would have made $1.5M - not $2.5M. Sorry for the error.

I wonder if he got the 100K to go to the minors like he would have if DM had sent him there instead of releasing him. I'm guessing not, especially if there is an opt-out clause.

Minor leaguers with major league service time are guaranteed a minimum of $80K, so if not, it's darned close.

It seems strange to me that his agent calling around could not find a spot for him. He is throwing 94. He has had a good spring. Yet no biters. It may be that he saw Cotts' one third of an inning and thought the Brewers will have an opening real, real soon.

It seems strange to me that his agent calling around could not find a spot for him. He is throwing 94. He has had a good spring. Yet no biters. It may be that he saw Cotts' one third of an inning and thought the Brewers will have an opening real, real soon.

Tough time for agents trying to find roster spots, even for former closers. Teams have little roster space available. Things will open up as they always do.

Tough time for agents trying to find roster spots, even for former closers. Teams have little roster space available. Things will open up as they always do.

Yep, agreed. I am guessing that you can pretty much count on some type of injury to someone in the pen at some point during April.

• 4 weeks later...
chris perez has opted out of his contract and has become a free agent.

I would too after watching guys like Thornburg and Broxton make this squad and get whacked around for a month. Especially with basically no shot at a playoff run, he might as well hope another team with a chance needs an arm.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Kind of surprised that we didn't call him up instead of Wooten.

Perez would have forced us to open up a roster spot. Plus, with the way this club is playing, he's not in our long term plans.

While Wooten isn't anything special, he's cheap and he's under control for another 5 years. If he can prove to be an adequate reliever, he'll help us a lot more than Perez ever will. If he flops, the world won't end. But right now it's not like him or Perez is going to save our season.

i'd opt out of the PCL, too, if I were a struggling RP trying to land an MLB club...

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived