Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Chris Perez (MiLB contract w/ST invite; Latest: Opts out, now a FA (post #63))

markedman5
If Perez amounts to something, I'll be pleased, but I won't count on him until he earns the spot. For the time being, at minimum he's an asset with potential to contribute meaningfully -- and that's a good thing. If he produces, even better. If he's an asset leveraged for another better asset, I'd take that outcome, too.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Echoing Soups opinion. Perez, honestly has a very,very steady line in numbers for a RP. Still has the velocity. I think he can be a great 3.5ERA type RP. I wonder how his numbers would be with Lucroy/Maldonado catching vs AJ Ellis/Drew Butera? He's not lights out, but if you can get him for 1.5mil-3mil? His numbers/stuff would appear better than Cotts easily and he's 3mil handed to him w/o the minor league deal/incentives. Perez did have 10 multi innings pitched outings none longer than 2IP, but he at least offers more than just 3outs if asked. The HR ball is a little worrisome for Miller Park/NL Central parks. But again, for the price paid, I think Milw could come away smelling Roses as it's a super low-risk/high reward type Pitcher.

Perez had a 3.42ERA in '13 before blowing up his last 2 appearances to make it 4.33 albeit in a stretch Clv was playing for a Division. Same thing in 2012- 3.34 ERA last game gives him a 3.59ERA after 2ERs in last appearance. Last season could be that down year. And what Milw signed is a Guy who's sub 3.5ERA out of the Bullpen when you toss away final 3 games in '12/13.

What I like is his Hits are lower per 9. Hits a lil over 7per 9, Ks near 1 per Ip-8.6/9 Theres underlying numbers that could see him be much better than expectations.

Let's hope he does just that!

If the trade for Papelbon gets completed and Perez makes the team (which I'm sure he will)... There's gonna be some tough cuts in ST... Also assuming Thornburg and Henderson are healthy.

I don't think its a lock and depends on a lot of things (mainly if the brewers get Papelbon and if Henderson can start the season effective / healthy.

Even if the brewers start with 8 relievers in the pen, there is going to be more competition for jobs than in many seasons. Perez needs to have a good spring still to make the squad and can't pitch like how he did in LA last season.

• 1 month later...
having spent all of last season in the majors, perez will be granted an opt-out clause days before the end of spring training.

31 march is when the decision has to be made, but according to reports from tom haudricourt, it doesn't appear that perez can opt out of his contract.

according to this report, the brewers just have to let him know by 31 march if they plan to add him to the 40-man roster, or kick in a $100,000 clause if they send him to aaa-colorado springs. the club could choose to release perez and then resign him to a minor league deal to avoid that $100,000 clause. the club could also release him outright, freeing him to sign with any other team.

i'll have to do some digging, but perez should be able to opt out because he spent all of 2014 on a major league roster (with the dodgers).

perez himself says his fate is in brewers hands

so crew can do what is best for them; perez says it would be nice if he is offered to other teams if he misses the 25 man, but he knows he can be sent to aaa

If it were me, I'd add him to the roster and see what he has over a month and half. Might have to DL Henderson, and let Thornburg start in AAA, but anytime you can get a guy with his track record albeit a few seasons ago, at such a bargain basement price, you owe it to yourself to see if he's rediscovered it. After all, he's just 29 and if he's throwing well, lots of teams could be calling later on him.

If it were me, I'd add him to the roster and see what he has over a month and half. Might have to DL Henderson, and let Thornburg start in AAA, but anytime you can get a guy with his track record albeit a few seasons ago, at such a bargain basement price, you owe it to yourself to see if he's rediscovered it. After all, he's just 29 and if he's throwing well, lots of teams could be calling later on him.

^^This. Bird in the hand. Proven depth -- the more you have, the better off you are. If he stinks, he's not a heavy financial burden to get rid of.

adding perez for depth means risking losing depth elsewhere. the 40-man roster is full and it doesn't appear that anyone is a candidate for the 60-day disabled list (unless they recall johnny hellweg, pay him a major league salary, have him accrue major league service time and put him on the 60-day disabled list).

adding perez for depth means risking losing depth elsewhere. the 40-man roster is full and it doesn't appear that anyone is a candidate for the 60-day disabled list (unless they recall johnny hellweg, pay him a major league salary, have him accrue major league service time and put him on the 60-day disabled list).

i agree with this, but IMO Peterson or Shafer could be removed, they are similar players; you could also look at someone like Blazek or Hall. Either way you are removing depth for an older player.

If Perez is pitching well, why wouldn't he be on this ball club? So far he's done pretty well I think so it seems pretty dumb of us to move him down when he is a proven MLB player.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would hope they don't play around and just 60 day DL Henderson. That would open a spot.

I guess they could pull Wooten or Blazek off the 40 man, that wouldn't effect depth as you are worried about it as it is a bullpen for bullpen move.

Assuming Lucroy and Lind are "healthy" they could also drop Centeno off the 40 man. Otherwise it would be a utility infielder and Jiminez can be the emergency 3rd catcher, so it probably would be Gomez?...

When mentioning all of these possible guys to remove one guy missing is Henderson himself. It has been over a year, might just be time to move one and if he wants to stay in the Brewers minor league system then fine.

When mentioning all of these possible guys to remove one guy missing is Henderson himself. It has been over a year, might just be time to move one and if he wants to stay in the Brewers minor league system then fine.

They should be able to get Strong through waivers and assign him like they did with Hall or they can put Henderson on the 60 Day. Other teams have their own issues with roster spots and they aren't likely to jump all over a 26 year old with exactly 4 innings above A ball.

Brewers talked about DLing Henderson (and keeping him on the ML roster / not optioning)

So, I go for

1) Put Henderson on the 60 day DL, backdated (which the Crew said they could do)

2) Give him a couple weeks in extended spring training

3) Give him a 30 day Minors rehab

Over this time, you see what you have. And if the velocity does not come back, and Henderson needs to reinvent himself as a reliver with a 91-92 mph fastball, you just option him at that stage.

Watched Perez pitch for the first time the other day. He didn't look real... fit.

Not the most important thing for a pitcher, but I would think that it somewhat correlates with stamina and is somewhat of an indicator of offseason effort. Either that, or he's discovered an affinity for brownies.

I would hope they don't play around and just 60 day DL Henderson. That would open a spot.

I guess they could pull Wooten or Blazek off the 40 man

Good chance Henderson could get 60 DLed...no chance they pull Blazek off the 40 man roster though. They are pretty high on him at the moment. Heard they were testing him out as a starter now.

Watched Perez pitch for the first time the other day. He didn't look real... fit.

Not the most important thing for a pitcher, but I would think that it somewhat correlates with stamina and is somewhat of an indicator of offseason effort. Either that, or he's discovered an affinity for brownies.

He's a relief pitcher. They really don't need stamina. Broxton has never looked like he's in any sort of shape other than round his whole career.

He's a relief pitcher. They really don't need stamina. Broxton has never looked like he's in any sort of shape other than round his whole career.

You've seen Bartolo Colon, right? haha

I thought about this unfitness as I went to bed last night (perhaps prompted from me walking by the mirror after shower). My 17 year old son is a catcher in a men's park league. Good hands but not strong arm. Son always a bit unfit. Not fat, but unfit. He found a friend who was a gym junkie. And just as a social thing he went to the gym three or four times a week in the offseason and did some serious weights. When he came back for the next season, it was like he had a bionic arm. He could even throw flat from his knees to 2nd base. Running against him by other clubs became impossible. His club coach (who is a an Ex LA Dodger AAA player) was so impressed he tried to line up some college for the boy to go to.

My point: these guys who are clearly UNFIT... surely just a little fitness/strength work would pay off. Would it not? Amazing you can be paid millions to be a professional athlete and your talent is so good you can make it with nil fitness. Surely, you would do a little to become more fit.

Then surely Thorn and Blaz looked a lot better than Perez. And this RR quote got my attention

"All of our games are important, especially for the first month. I'm not as interested necessarily about having starters in Triple-A. This is about winning in the big leagues. Tyler and Mike aren't 21 or 22. They both have been starters; both have pitched well out of the bullpen. They're versatile and give you length."

I will guess now that Thornburg makes it, as he has shown he CAN BE lights out v MLB guys.

Blazek was also noted by RR to be really well conditioned. Maybe Perez's lack of conditioning care cost him a job. How interesting!

Maybe someone could clarify... are we saving money by releasing Perez? I ask because looking at the numbers in spring training a guy like Blazek hasn't exactly lit it up. Not saying he was bad, but not great. Considering he hasn't proved anything at the big league level, it was hard to see them getting rid of Perez after putting together a nice spring.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived