Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Chris Perez (MiLB contract w/ST invite; Latest: Opts out, now a FA (post #63))

markedman5

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love it. Another guy that who knows, could return to form. Or he sucks and we cut bait. Nice job Doug.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I like it too.

Primarily a fastball, slider pitcher. Throws hard, around 94. Mixed in a few change ups last season for the first time since '08. Forty second pick of the '06 draft by the Cardinals. Seems pretty up and down, mostly down, but Jeffress was a bust and Axford was selling cell phones.

B-R shows the latest news stories mentioning him and one is Five Best Miguel Cabrera Home Runs - doh.

Formerly AKA Pete

Chris Perez is a Nez Balelo client that I believe was also a teammate of Ryan Braun at Miami. It has been speculated previously that Attanasio and Balelo may have discussed Perez at Ryan Braun's wedding as part of the same conversation that led to Matt Garza's eventual signing.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

The danger with Perez is that according to his peripherals he was never very good, but he had a couple seasons with solid ERAs (one with a fantastic ERA) which gave him closing experience, so now he is a proven "name"/closer and thus Melvin & Co. might give him a much longer leash than he deserves.

If he tricks everyone with a solid spring training, it could end up doing us harm.

If the trade for Papelbon gets completed and Perez makes the team (which I'm sure he will)... There's gonna be some tough cuts in ST... Also assuming Thornburg and Henderson are healthy.

Papelbon (Sounding more and more likely this gets done)

Broxton

Henderson

Smith

Cotts

Perez

Kintzler

Jeffress

Thornburg

Unless some more trades are coming... Gotta imagine Kintzler gets cut... And maybe Thornburg goes to AAA to get stretched out.

The more options we have... the better. I love that we are signing guys like Perez and Willis. Love it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If the trade for Papelbon gets completed and Perez makes the team (which I'm sure he will)... There's gonna be some tough cuts in ST... Also assuming Thornburg and Henderson are healthy.

Broxton

Henderson

Smith

Cotts

Perez

Kintzler

Jeffress

Thornburg

Unless some more trades are coming... Gotta imagine Kintzler gets cut... And maybe Thornburg goes to AAA to get stretched out.

Maybe one of those bottom 3 goes to Philly for Papelbon. I wouldn't like it but it's a possibility.

If Kintzler is part of a deal for Papelbon I wouldn't be upset. I like Kintzler, but I don't think he's as important going forward as Jeffress & Thornburg.

I'll echo the sentiments of others that I like the Perez signing as a basically zero-risk/high upside type of move.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Broxton

Henderson

Smith

Cotts

Perez

Kintzler

Jeffress

Thornburg

Don't forget Knebel. Does he really need a full year closing games at AAA?

I had a quick fangraphs of Perez. He does not look 'bad' to me. Like many relievers it is a bit up and down. But my projection would have him as incredibly average - not bad not great. There is surely a place for that. And if Kintzler is the trade to Cinnci for Pappelbon - Perez does slot into Kintzler's spot pretty easily.

Archived