Brewer Fanatic

Padres Interested in Sardinas?

ewitkows

The Padres have considered trading for Brewers shortstop Luis Sardinas, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports writes (Twitter). Rosenthal says the two teams have not talked lately, although the Padres’ interest in Sardinas suggests that their busy offseason might not yet be over.

Padres have anyone in their system we could use?

Sardinas has a lot of upside, they shouldn't just flip him because they think Gennett/Segura have the starting positions locked up for 2015.

If they got someone like RHP Matt Wisler (just ranked #69 on MLB.com's Top 100 prospects list, allegedly close to MLB ready and could be a #3 SP) then I guess it's a solid move, trading one year of Gallardo for six years of a possibly comparable pitcher.

I don't see any obvious fits for trade pieces, but you never know how different players are viewed by the Brewers. Gord Ash has been fielding the media inquiries about Cotts. That makes me wonder if Melvin is working on a closer and/or this possible trade.
Formerly AKA Pete

I wonder if the Brewers would target one of their cheap relievers like Kevin Quackenbush or Nick Vincent? DM & MA might be able to make a run at James Shields with all the money they saved from not signing K-Rod or trading for Papelbon. This is about the time of year Melvin makes his surprise FA signing and the longer Shields remains unsigned the more likely we get involved.

Another useful piece would be Corey Spangenburg. He doesn't have much power but brings a lot of speed and some versatility.

@WiscoSportsNut

I don't know why SD would want him. They clearly would like to win now and I don't see Sardinas being any better in 2015 than what they currently have.

Well, Preller was assistant GM with the Rangers while Sardinas was there.

I could see an argument that Sardinas could be better offensively and defensively.

Formerly AKA Pete

I don't know why SD would want him. They clearly would like to win now and I don't see Sardinas being any better in 2015 than what they currently have.

I think an argument could be made that Sardinas could be as good or better than Amarista, Barmes, and even Gyorko in the near future. He would likely be an immediate defensive upgrade over Jedd Gyorko (not to mention a lot cheaper). Obviously Preller has had a good vantage point of Sardinas development thus far.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I certainly wouldn't mind turning Sardinas into a couple of prospects. I could even see swapping Sardinas for another quality prospect and Barmes. The last part is tricky to evaluate since he has declined, but he used to be an excellent defender at SS and 2B, but last years stats are too limited to know if getting the platoon advantage against lefties would make him a very useful bench guy.

If the Padres are interested in Sardinas you would have to ask for Wisler. While Wisler isn't going to blow people away with his fastball he can command it accurately on both sides of the plate and his curveball which is a plus pitch does create a lot of strike outs. The Brewers would basically be getting back what they traded away to get Sardinas just a younger version of Gallardo in Wisler.

I would ask for Wisler and Quintana from the Padres for Sardinas. That gives the Brewers another mid rotation starter in Wisler and a 1B/OF in Quintana as I don't believe Quintana will be able to stay at 3B. Quintana has the power but is plagued with high strike outs.

Based on the Padres prospect rankings the three that are in the top 100 are Wisler, Austin Hedges, and Hunter Renfroe.

What about asking for Renfroe? Solid looking OF who appears 2years away. Maybe he's the answer to Ryan Braun. Or Replacing Khris Davis Depending who you attempt to trade and move? I'd send them Wren or Reed with Sardinas to make them do it. He pretty much reads of Khris Davis only he has the Defense and Arm that Davis lacks. 20+HR power OB skills. I'd try acquiring that vs. Wisler who gave up almost 1.3HR/9 last season. He's not dominant like you say, why push for another #3 type SP if you can shoot for an AS type OF? You wonder with Kemp and Liriano is he blocked? Plus SD stands a good chance to end up Sellers of Upton maybe 1 of their top pitchers when they don't win 50% of their games that Wisler isn't valued more as a replacement for that move?

Wonder if Milw could attempt him at 3b?

If the Padres are interested in Sardinas you would have to ask for Wisler.

As mentioned earlier, Wisler is MLB.com's #69 prospect. Our best prospect (Arcia) is our only guy to rank in the Top 100 at #88. I like the addition of Sardinas in the Gallardo trade, but why would San Diego trade a guy who would immediately be our best prospect in return for Sardinas? Maybe for Segura if they thought he was better than he's shown for the past 1.5 years, but not for Sardinas.

But, if Melvin could somehow swing Sardinas for Wisler, then I would be really happy.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

What about Yonder Alonso? Yes, I understand that the Brewers have Adam Lind at 1B already but Alonso is 4 years younger than Lind and has a better slash line against LHP .240/.305/.344 than him .212/.257/.330. Additionally, the Brewers would have him for 2015, 2016 and 2017 before he could become a free agent.

I have always been intrigued by Alonso and getting him out of Petco might be a boon for his #s.

That's one list, but on Law's list I believe Arcia is in the 50s. A counter argument could be that Wisler didn't do well after promotion to AAA although its the nutty West coast PCL.

Let Sardinas play in AAA. If he hits well, his value skyrockets. A plus to plus-plus defender, plus-plus runner, natural switch hitting, able to hit for average at the top of a lineup guy with 6 years of control is difficult to estimate especially if its at the deadline.

Formerly AKA Pete

If the Padres are interested in Sardinas you would have to ask for Wisler.

As mentioned earlier, Wisler is MLB.com's #69 prospect. Our best prospect (Arcia) is our only guy to rank in the Top 100 at #88. I like the addition of Sardinas in the Gallardo trade, but why would San Diego trade a guy who would immediately be our best prospect in return for Sardinas? Maybe for Segura if they thought he was better than he's shown for the past 1.5 years, but not for Sardinas.

But, if Melvin could somehow swing Sardinas for Wisler, then I would be really happy.

Sardinas was roughly #75 in prospect rankings last season prior to graduating to the Major Leagues. So if the Padres the team that desires Sardinas, asks about him, they will have to overpay in trade, a Prospect for a ML player as Sardinas is now. Wisler just happens to be ranked right at or just above Sardinas' rank a year ago. So if Milwaukee is going to trade a promising young player as Sardinas is, they had better only do so trading for 1 of their 3 top 100 prospects(ignoring Turner since he's gone already) Brewers don't have a need for Hedges. They could use Wisler and or the player I like in Renfroe. 1 of those 2 has to be the ask in return if you're going to give up Sardinas. Anything less, and Milw is seller below Sardinas' previous value and should just keep him.

Brewers fans really undervaluing Sardinas, who as noted was a top 100 prospect two years running before graduating. I think Arcia has more upside because of his offensive potential, but yeah you could make a case that Sardinas is the #1/#2 prospect in the system now (if he was still eligible). That's based on proximity to MLB and floor, b/c we have a lot of boom/bust prospects in the low minors, but it's true.

We should not be trading that guy for a RP or random bench piece. If it weren't for Segura's one fantastic half-season, I would have Sardinas penciled in as our starting SS.

Brewers fans really undervaluing Sardinas, who as noted was a top 100 prospect two years running before graduating. I think Arcia has more upside because of his offensive potential, but yeah you could make a case that Sardinas is the #1/#2 prospect in the system now (if he was still eligible). That's based on proximity to MLB and floor, b/c we have a lot of boom/bust prospects in the low minors, but it's true.

We should not be trading that guy for a RP or random bench piece. If it weren't for Segura's one fantastic half-season, I would have Sardinas penciled in as our starting SS.

I certainly don't undervalue him. I only mentioned the relievers if it was apart of a bigger deal (saving money for Shields while filling our needs). If I had my way Sardinas would be in the lineup everyday between 2B and SS.

I'm just worried about Melvin pulling off a 3 team trade that sends Sardinas to San Diego and Papelbon to Milwaukee.

@WiscoSportsNut

Brewers fans really undervaluing Sardinas

I do like Sardinas, and maybe I was undervaluing him in my previous post. I don't think he'll net us Wisler, but I agree that if the Padres are calling asking for him specifically, we should aim high and target their top prospect (especially if it's a pitcher in the high minors). I think our best option will probably be to start Sardinas in AAA for "seasoning" and as insurance in case Segura continues to falter. But, if someone is willing to give us a highly regarded young pitcher who will be our "#6/7" guy this year, and who can step into the rotation when Lohse leaves next year, then that would be nice.

I just hope they don't use him as their MLB "utility guy/RH 2B," because at his age I think he'd be better off playing every day at AAA. Let someone like Gomez get the 200 PA's with sporadic MLB play.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewers fans really undervaluing Sardinas

I do like Sardinas, and maybe I was undervaluing him in my previous post. I don't think he'll net us Wisler, but I agree that if the Padres are calling asking for him specifically, we should aim high and target their top prospect (especially if it's a pitcher in the high minors). I think our best option will probably be to start Sardinas in AAA for "seasoning" and as insurance in case Segura continues to falter. But, if someone is willing to give us a highly regarded young pitcher who will be our "#6/7" guy this year, and who can step into the rotation when Lohse leaves next year, then that would be nice.

I just hope they don't use him as their MLB "utility guy/RH 2B," because at his age I think he'd be better off playing every day at AAA. Let someone like Gomez get the 200 PA's with sporadic MLB play.

Agree. Sardinas only has played 60 games in AAA. It's not like he can't benefit by a full or almost full season there.

Archived