Brewer Fanatic

James Shields

Jon Heyman on the MLB Network today mentioned the Brewers as a team possibly in on Shields. He did say that Doug Melvin has denied any interest in Shields, but that is typical of Melvin at any time

I just find it hard to believe that Mark A & Doug won't go after the 30 something free agent pitcher and will instead turn to a home grown 25 year old pitcher. That has almost never been their way of doing things. Sometimes it works (Lohse) sometimes it doesn't (Suppan) and other times it is hard to tell for sure if the $$$ could've been better spent or not (Garza)

I personally hope they don't sign Shields, but I would not at all be surprised if they do.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't particularly want Shields, but we'll see what happens.

At what price do you think Melvin's wait-out-the-market strategy will make it worthwhile for us to jump on Shields? 4/$60M?

I don't particularly want Shields, but we'll see what happens.

At what price do you think Melvin's wait-out-the-market strategy will make it worthwhile for us to jump on Shields? 4/$60M?

That sounds about right. If they keep the years to 4 and in the 60-65 mil range I think he makes for a solid investment. He's likely on the downswing but still solid enough to keep value. I'm encouraged that it doesn't really look that he's lost velocity despite his declining K% and SwStk%. His BB% was a career low last year. Maybe that's a fluke or maybe a conscious effort. I don't know enough about him to say.

I know some would like to roll with some of our young guys or make a run at Zimmerman next year. I don't see the Brewers landing Zimmerman. They could shift a potential would-be starter into the bullpen, an area of need anyway.

Jon Heyman on the MLB Network today mentioned the Brewers as a team possibly in on Shields. He did say that Doug Melvin has denied any interest in Shields, but that is typical of Melvin at any time

I just find it hard to believe that Mark A & Doug won't go after the 30 something free agent pitcher and will instead turn to a home grown 25 year old pitcher. That has almost never been their way of doing things. Sometimes it works (Lohse) sometimes it doesn't (Suppan) and other times it is hard to tell for sure if the $$$ could've been better spent or not (Garza)

I personally hope they don't sign Shields, but I would not at all be surprised if they do.

That is what Melvin does all the time. Only this board ignores that it happens all the time because they have signed a handful of free agents (who blocked no one) and the preferred story is that Melvin never lets anyone in the minors prove themselves at the major league level. The Brewers have developed their C, 2B, RF, LF from the minors traded for their SS when a prospect and really developed their CF who did next to nothing before the Brewers traded for him. They are going with three home developed starting pitchers.

I don't know how they could afford it. Shields is going to get an average of $20M a year. Adding $20M to the current payroll would make 2015 the largest in franchise history. And signing Shields and then trading someone like Lohse or Garza just wouldn't make sense.

It would be a typical backloaded or deferred salary contract similar to the one Ramirez signed. If he is willing to play the first year for say $9M then it wouldmake the remaining a 3 yr/$51-56M deal ($17M-18.6M AAV).

I don't know how they could afford it. Shields is going to get an average of $20M a year. Adding $20M to the current payroll would make 2015 the largest in franchise history. And signing Shields and then trading someone like Lohse or Garza just wouldn't make sense.

It would be a typical backloaded or deferred salary contract similar to the one Ramirez signed. If he is willing to play the first year for say $9M then it wouldmake the remaining a 3 yr/$51-56M deal ($17M-18.6M AAV).

That adds up to 4years/60-65mil roughly. not 4/80mil as being suggested at 20mil a year. Wheres the other 15mil? Deferred? How many deferrals does Mark A. have to start adding up?

As for Shields. Theres a part of me that thinks a Papelbon trade is the kind of move that maybe is designed to make the Cards or Cubs flinch to combat the insurance the Brewers gain at the backend of their Bullpen and sign Shields. Hopefully to a 5yr 110mil deal with loss of draft pick by either of those teams.

Ive read of the Cards kicking the tires on upgrading and adding a strong Starter to the Rotation. A Papelbon move to me, might make them commit to doing it. Good long Term for Milw if you ask me.

Jon Heyman on the MLB Network today mentioned the Brewers as a team possibly in on Shields.

Jon Heyman posted his updated summary of the James Shields Mystery Market. Click on that link for a more in-depth summary of each team, but here is his list...

There was a rumor of $110 million, five-year offer for Shields a few weeks ago, and either that was a mirage or it came from a place Shields didn't prefer (we're betting on mirage at this point, though nothing's certain in this silent market). In any case, there is interest, and there have to be suitors even if they remain affixed to the woodwork. Here is a rundown of some possibilities:

1. Cardinals

2. Marlins

3. Astros

4. Padres

5. Tigers

6. Blue Jays

7. Brewers: GM Doug Melvin went on record saying there have been no calls to Shields. But Milwaukee saved money with its trade of ace Yovani Gallardo and could use a top-of-the-rotation starter. The Brewers seem committed to giving a spot to young right-hander Jimmy Nelson, who was brilliant in the minors last season before a cameo in the majors, but their depth and experience levels are questionable. Owner Mark Attanasio, who signed Kyle Lohse in March a couple springs ago, doesn't mind gambles or late signings. But of course, their bigger need is the bullpen (Francisco Rodriguez and Jonathan Papelbon are possibilities), and it isn't known how closely they are to considering Shields, a former teammate of Matt Garza, another of Milwaukee's surprise signings.

8. Red Sox

9. Royals

Not just “at Night” anymore.

That adds up to 4years/60-65mil roughly. not 4/80mil as being suggested at 20mil a year. Wheres the other 15mil? Deferred? How many deferrals does Mark A. have to start adding up?

As for Shields. Theres a part of me that thinks a Papelbon trade is the kind of move that maybe is designed to make the Cards or Cubs flinch to combat the insurance the Brewers gain at the backend of their Bullpen and sign Shields. Hopefully to a 5yr 110mil deal with loss of draft pick by either of those teams.

Ive read of the Cards kicking the tires on upgrading and adding a strong Starter to the Rotation. A Papelbon move to me, might make them commit to doing it. Good long Term for Milw if you ask me.

Yes, because the Brewers ALWAYS pose a major threat to the Cardinals. My memory says we get pasted by them in the crunch every single time.

Yes, because the Brewers ALWAYS pose a major threat to the Cardinals. My memory says we get pasted by them in the crunch every single time.

[sarcasm]That's just because we don't have Big Game James yet![/sarcasm]

I have quite an affinity for Shields, I've been following his progress for a very long time as the Rays under Friedman were my AL team for most of the last decade.

That being said, he never has been and never will be an Ace, he simply doesn't have that kind of stuff, he was 3rd best pitcher on the Rays pitching staff for most of his tenure. He had 1 tremendous year in 2011 but he's basically the same as what we already have/had in Lohse, Gallardo, and Garza... and Garza has better stuff. He's also in the downside of his career and like all FA pitchers will be getting paid more for what he has done in the past than what he will do in the future. I have no problem with James making money, I just don't want it to be from the Brewers.

After the years on this forum I still have trouble understanding and getting behind the proven veteran and maxing out the possible payroll obsession so many posters have.

There is better way than what the Brewers have historically done and if not then why are we wasting our time as Brewer fans? If our pinnacle is 1 appearance in the NLCS every 10 years then there's really nothing to be excited about. At least that's not where I've ever set the bar which is why I've been anti almost everything this organization has done since 2006. The Brewers have continually limited the over all ceiling of the team through a succession of short term moves. Worse yet, instead of finding solutions to problems they simply have continually patched them through those same moves.

Shields would just be more of the same "stuck in neutral", "spinning the wheels", whatever cliche phrase you choose to use. He would be an expensive lateral move at best, those kind of deals don't push the organization to the next level.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I agree that James Shields isn't an ace, and isn't the type of pitcher I would want the Brewers to spend $80-plus million and forfeit a first round draft pick for. As he enters his age 33 season, my biggest concern with Shields isn't only his age, but also the wear on his arm over the past several seasons. Over the past four regular seasons Shields has pitched a total of 932 innings. That doesn't even include the 25 playoff innings he pitched last season. I realize he has proven to be incredibly durable for many years, but I am not sure I would be willing to bet on four more years of Shields remaining injury free with that kind of workload.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I have quite an affinity for Shields, I've been following his progress for a very long time as the Rays under Friedman were my AL team for most of the last decade.

That being said, he never has been and never will be an Ace, he simply doesn't have that kind of stuff, he was 3rd best pitcher on the Rays pitching staff for most of his tenure. He had 1 tremendous year in 2011 but he's basically the same as what we already have/had in Lohse, Gallardo, and Garza... and Garza has better stuff. He's also in the downside of his career and like all FA pitchers will be getting paid more for what he has done in the past than what he will do in the future. I have no problem with James making money, I just don't want it to be from the Brewers.

After the years on this forum I still have trouble understanding and getting behind the proven veteran and maxing out the possible payroll obsession so many posters have.

Well, considering most posters here wouldn't be happy to see the Brewers sign Shields to a big money four year contract, along with giving up the draft pick, i don't understand why you are acting like you'd be standing along with some small minority of those against signing Shields?

I would sign him to a 2yr/$32M if it meant we were trading Garza tomorrow. Then I get a promise from DM that we get Zimmerman in the off-season and look like this:

2014:

1. Lohse

2. Shields

3. Peralta

4. Fiers

5. Nelson

(Jungmann)

2015:

1. Zimmerman

2. Shields

3. Peralta

4. Nelson

5. Fiers or Jungmann

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No thanks on Shields. In a vacuum maybe but with no true void in the staff currently, 1-5 are filled, his age and the draft pick attached to signing him, I have very little interest.

Zimmerman on the other hand I am very interested in. If the Brewers could somehow have a 1-2-3 of Zimmerman, Peralta and Nelson for the next 5 years I would be very excited for their chances.

There's no question James Shields would make the Brewers better in 2015, I would bet anyone, anything, that Shields will be better in 2015 than at least one pitcher currently penciled into the rotation. It's beyond 2015 that makes you slow down a bit before jumping in.

Giving up the draft pick would stink, but it isn't the end of the world - just something I don't want to have to do. I know this board just boils when the Brewers tinker with draft picks, and I certainly understand why, but if they're going to do it, doing so in a year when they have a "competitive balance pick" after round one, and they just got some nice young talent for Gallardo, is probably the best time to make some of you angry.

The deal-stopper for me would be the length of the deal. If Shields gets a 4-year offer, I think Milwaukee should let him sign somewhere else.

Shields has been remarkably durable, but any multi-year deal with a pitcher over 30 brings risk - you just never know which inning will be a pitcher's last. I see this just like the deal with Lohse - you don't rush, and you can always say no, but if the two sides get into the same range, it's a deal you can make.

I like Jimmy Nelson, and I like Mike Fiers - I don't like not having a fallback option if either fails, or if someone gets hurt - which you know is likely with pitchers. If the Brewers sign Shields, I'll certainly understand why, and if they don't, I'll get that, too.

Would anyone be opposed to a 1yr/$18M or 2yr/$32M deal for Shields?

I think James Shields would be opposed to it.

It's getting to the point in the offseason where he's going to have take whatever he gets offered. I can't imagine anyone giving him anything longer than 3 years at this point. Why not take a big money 1 year contract and try again next year?

Archived