Brewer Fanatic

Which MILB Players In Our System Could Help Us This Year?

RobDeer 45
Need a little help wrapping my brain around who's close to helping us out. I feel like I know a lot of the guys but have a hard time keeping straight, who's getting close to helping out or could have a starting gig at the big leagues.

I don't think there's anyone who's got a chance at a starting gig in 2015 unless there are massive amounts of injuries. Jungman probably has the best being #6 on the SP depth chart but I think if there is an injury it would depend when it happens if he gets a shot. Kyle Wren might be a September call up or earlier if the team really bombs and Parra or even Carlos Gomez is traded. I'm sure there are a few bullpen arms that might get a few innings.

There's a few pitchers with chances of making major league debuts this year but not many hitters. The guys we've already seen, Rogers and Clark figure to spend some time with the Brewers. Wren is the most likely of the rest. Maybe Yadier Rivera or Adam Weisberger get a shot if injuries affect middle infield or catcher. Taylor and Arcia would have to smoke AA and get an early trip to AAA to have a chance. More likely they'll be seen late in 2016.

I think Strong has excellent chance to be called upon at some point, maybe even make the team if they don't add another lefty. Jungmann, Brooks Hall, and Goforth are all on the 40 man also so strong AAA showings by them could earn a MLB debut. Berrada and Marzek seem to be guys that could show up on roster at some point. Maybe even Cravy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Need a little help wrapping my brain around who's close to helping us out. I feel like I know a lot of the guys but have a hard time keeping straight, who's getting close to helping out or could have a starting gig at the big leagues.

Rookie-wise, there's not a lot of guys ready to help out in Milwaukee as a full time starter. However, you do have numerous players who could start the year with the club as reserves and/or relievers. Plus, there's quite a few guys who may help out during the course of 2015 - but probably not right away.

- Rogers or Jimenez are on track to be the right handed part of a 1B platoon - plus maybe spell A-Ram at 3B. Could easily get 60 or more starts plus be a key pinch hitter. That's 300 ABs - not insignificant.

- Gomez or Sardinas has a good shot as the back up middle infielder. If we platoon Scooter, this could get this player 60 or so starts. Again, that's around 300 ABs.

- OF Kyle Wren is likely ticketed for AAA. If he does well, he could take over later in the year for Schafer if the latter struggles again. But that's pretty much the 5th OF spot, so not a big impact.

- I think OF Shane Peterson, who we picked up on waivers, has an outside shot at a roster spot if the club is comfortable with Parra as the back up CF. A lefty, he would strictly be a 5th OF - pinch hitting mostly. Probably offers more pop than Schafer. He plays the corner OF spots, plus 1B.

- As noted by others, Jungmann is our #6 starter now. He struggled when first brought up to AAA last year, but finished very well (his last six starts at AAA produced a 1.80 ERA, 42K in 35 innings). He's still walking too many guys, but a half season at AAA is probably just what he needs. If he can do well, he'll be ready for his shot (and with Lohse a free agent after 2015, it's perfect timing for Taylor).

- For relievers, Knebel, who we got in the Gallardo trade, looks ready to contribute. I also like David Goforth, who was at AA last year. He's got perfect stuff for the bullpen. His results have been okay so far, but he only just started relieving. I think a few months at AAA may be all he needs until he's ready. Otherwise, some power arms at AAA (Blazek, Pena) might figure out how to pitch better. I hold out hope the club moves Hellweg into the pen when he returns. Maybe he pitches well enough at some point to get the call (but I'm not holding my breath).

On the whole, we aren't looking at any big contributors. A couple of platoon spots, a couple of relievers.

I was thinking about Bradley as well. In all our minors (aside from the new D Willis) WHO is the lefty who could help us most. Even if the most is least. Who is our best loogie right now in all the minors - who could pitch in Milwaukee in 2015.

I was thinking about Bradley as well. In all our minors (aside from the new D Willis) WHO is the lefty who could help us most. Even if the most is least. Who is our best loogie right now in all the minors - who could pitch in Milwaukee in 2015.

Strong, as he is on the 40 man and a reliever. Although looking at this splits lefties have done better than righties the last couple of years. They must be somewhat high on Martin as well since they traded for him.

I decided to check out Bradley's splits. He is hugely better v left hand batters.

2014 was ops of .504 v lh and .832 v rh

2013 and 2012 was similarly left sided.

just to show it is not too small sample, it was 143 plate appearances against with not ONE home run by a lefties, and 50 strikeouts to 10 walks.

And the tepid response to the question illustrates exactly why we're so low in the organizational prospect rankings. If all your hope is concentrated in the lower levels, it's damn near impossible to crack the top 20.

I don't know. The Cards have Piscotty and Marco Gonzalez in AAA, not a lot of sizzle there and a couple A ball pitchers, one 5'11" and the other projectable in Laws 100 for example. Is Kaminsky so high because he's a 1st round choice? If this was the Brewers system not only would it be 30th, but it would be talked about having regressed from last season.

For years the rationalization by Sicklels, Law et al was that yeah they had some nice prospects who could be bench players like Davis or relievers like Thornburg and maybe if things go well, average regulars but there was no high impact talent. Now there's a bunch of it and the rationalization shifts.

/biasedcynicalopinionoff

I think Reillymcshane does a nice job reviewing possible contributors. I would only disagree by saying that in the event of an injury, some of them might do more than he says. And I guess I would add in some of the legion of relievers floating around down there.

Formerly AKA Pete

Archived