Brewer Fanatic

Jim Henderson Injury Update - No longer in Spring camp [post #26]

Mass Haas

From the Calgary Herald --

Henderson rehabbing shoulder, getting ready for spring training

“It felt good,” Henderson is saying on the phone as he drives to his dental appointment Tuesday afternoon. “It was just a small step, but it was a good one. It was nice to get back up on the hill. I feel a little cautious about it, but, at the same time, I’m excited that everything feels good.”

Many more quotes at the link...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Henderson pitched pretty well in 2012-13, so if he can rebound to that level, it's a huge plus for the bullpen.

Broxton, Henderson, Thornburg, Jeffress, Smith and Knebel can all bring some serious heat. And you have some other guys at AAA - Blazek, Goforth, Hellweg, Pena - who can throw hard and might help out at some point in 2015.

Let's hope guys get healthy (and stay healthy), and the younger guys develop into major leaguer pitchers instead of hard throwers.

Henderson pitched pretty well in 2012-13, so if he can rebound to that level, it's a huge plus for the bullpen.

Broxton, Henderson, Thornburg, Jeffress, Smith and Knebel can all bring some serious heat. And you have some other guys at AAA - Blazek, Goforth, Hellweg, Pena - who can throw hard and might help out at some point in 2015.

Let's hope guys get healthy (and stay healthy), and the younger guys develop into major leaguer pitchers instead of hard throwers.

I still think best route for them to take with Thornburg is to have him in the Colorado Springs rotation if he's healthy. He was outstanding late in 2013 using a full range of pitches starting. I think after early success with his heat out of the pen, he kind of fell in love with his heater up, and started to over throw resulting in arm issues.

The Brewers currently have a ton of high upside, power arms who are coming back from injuries and could contribute in the bullpen this season (Henderson, Thornburg, Knebel, Pena and Hellweg). If one or two can produce it will be a huge boost for the pen.

Hellweg in the pen would be a great idea. Dominant in AAA, torched in MLB; and out of options if I remember.

I wonder what Henderson will bring this year. Seemed to do better as a setup man rather than the closer. I wonder if it was injury or pressure related

Hellweg in the pen would be a great idea. Dominant in AAA, torched in MLB; and out of options if I remember.

Brewers got a 4th option year on Hellweg because of the Tommy John surgery.

Hellweg had such a deer-in-the-headlight look and results it was scary. Like Chris Mabeus-scary, only over several appearances.

Hellweg did look terrified on the mound. Maybe it is a crazy idea to think of him as a closer when the exact opposite is needed. But I do wonder how hard he would throw as a reliever. What if he just concentrated on 2 pitches - just get those down and then run him out in the 6th a few times and maybe he clicks.

I do think that its wise to get him to be a starter, but maybe he transitions to the big leagues by succeeding in the bullpen.

Okay, end of crazy, meandering thoughts...

Formerly AKA Pete

I am hoping Henderson comes back to full health. I like him, I'm one of the few, that doesn't believe Henderson is a full-time closer, but an emergency option at least. Thornburg and him with Smith I feel comfortable for the 7th and 8th innings. Henderson has been more of a guy I would like to see put up a decent year, and get him traded for something in value as far as what I seen. He's a two pitch guy, and I just don't believe his Slider is dominant like Smith's can be. Henderson being FB/Slider only, no Changeup I don't see him as a Closer but with the high velocity FB, a great option for the 7th inning honestly.

The Brewers have had recent years with no lefty in the BP. As long as the righties are sufficiently effective, the need for 2 LHRPs is overstated and not even pure fact.

We need a second LHP so that Roenicke doesn't use Will Smith, one of our best relievers, as a LOOGY (which he will probably do if there isn't another one)

The Brewers have had recent years with no lefty in the BP. As long as the righties are sufficiently effective, the need for 2 LHRPs is overstated and not even pure fact.

We need a second LHP so that Roenicke doesn't use Will Smith, one of our best relievers, as a LOOGY (which he will probably do if there isn't another one)

The career .826 OPS against RHB says he is probably best used a loogy or at least vary sparingly against RHB.

Joe Thatcher fits the bill. The Willis story is fun, but the guy's been out of the big leagues for three years, so I'm not counting on that ship.

I seriously hope we don't spend a metric ton, and trade away prospects, to get Papelbon. I'd rather keep K-Rod, and develop what we have in house. I think Henderson will be ready to assume the closer role soon, and we have guys in house to hold down the fort until he is ready.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I seriously hope we don't spend a metric ton, and trade away prospects, to get Papelbon. I'd rather keep K-Rod, and develop what we have in house. I think Henderson will be ready to assume the closer role soon, and we have guys in house to hold down the fort until he is ready.

If Henderson's healthy, I don't see a reason to overspend to bring K-Rod back or deal for Papelbon. I'd rather spend less and bring in Chamberlain as depth and at least see how Henderson looks in Arizona. If it doesn't look like he'll make it back, go back to Philly and reopen talks with them.

If Henderson's healthy, I don't see a reason to overspend to bring K-Rod back or deal for Papelbon. I'd rather spend less and bring in Chamberlain as depth and at least see how Henderson looks in Arizona. If it doesn't look like he'll make it back, go back to Philly and reopen talks with them.

The problem with this thinking is that we truly do not know how good or if Henderson will be healthy enough to start the season. Then you get into the questions of will he come back effective? Too many questions surround this for Melvin to not go after another "closer" type guys like Soriano, Krod, or Papelbon. If he sat and did nothing, then Henderson stinks and Broxton doesn't get the job done, people will say Melvin did not do enough for this team. The more high leverage guys we have, the better off we will be this season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The flip side of the thinking about trading prospects and paying a significant sum for a designated closer is that the contract plays. If whoever is bad or more likely mediocre, they'll go out there till its too painful to go on. Then maybe the next Axford or Henderson take over or Mark A. wants to win and directs Melvin to go into the very expensive trade deadline market and trade more prospects.
Formerly AKA Pete

The problem with this thinking is that we truly do not know how good or if Henderson will be healthy enough to start the season. Then you get into the questions of will he come back effective? Too many questions surround this for Melvin to not go after another "closer" type guys like Soriano, Krod, or Papelbon. If he sat and did nothing, then Henderson stinks and Broxton doesn't get the job done, people will say Melvin did not do enough for this team. The more high leverage guys we have, the better off we will be this season.

Where did I advocate doing nothing? Chamberlain had 29 "holds" for the Tigers last year and a considerably better FIP of 3.16 than K-Rod put up last year and I'm assuming he's about $2 million cheaper.

We don't know how good a healthy Henderson is? I think we do and I think it will be apparent in spring training if he's healthy and throwing free and easy. Nobody's breaking down Philly's door for Papelbon. There's a good chance he'll still be available in mid March.

Archived