Brewer Fanatic

Yoan Moncada

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't we consider Lara and Gatewood possible 3B candidates?

Yoan is exactly what the Brewers need in terms of plus plus impact and position, but I can't possibly see how we can outbid a motivated Yankee checkbook??????

And I'm sure a young Cuban kid with huge dreams has just been dying to make that one franchise that he devotes his career to be located in Milwaukee, WI. Surely that's what every young Caribbean kid dreams about when he's flipping that baseball up in the air & imagining hitting the WS-winning home run.

Don't get me wrong, I won't count us out until Moncada has officially signed with a team. But I don't think we've got any kind of serious chance to sign him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yoan is exactly what the Brewers need in terms of plus plus impact and position, but I can't possibly see how we can outbid a motivated Yankee checkbook??????

And I'm sure a young Cuban kid with huge dreams has just been dying to make that one franchise that he devotes his career to be located in Milwaukee, WI. Surely that's what every young Caribbean kid dreams about when he's flipping that baseball up in the air & imagining hitting the WS-winning home run.

Don't get me wrong, I won't count us out until Moncada has officially signed with a team. But I don't think we've got any kind of serious chance to sign him.

But, But, what about Major League and Bob Uecker? Mr. 3000? baseball movies with ties to Milwaukee. What if you grew up and those were the movies you saw, over and over again, and feel like Milwaukee is King for Baseball? Can't one just put a little hope in Bernie Mac and Mr. 3000 making Milwaukee Brewers hip in foreign eyes? It did come out in 2004 so 10years ago. Means Moncada or Alvarez for that matter were 8/9years of age. Could be Plausible at this point :tongue ;)

Nothing all that new here, but the latest update from MLB Trade Rumors is keeping the sliver of a hope alive...

The Brewers could be a surprise entrant to the bidding. As you would expect, a small market club might have trouble outbidding the industry titans. Considering an estimated total cost ranging from $70MM to $80MM (including the 100% tax), it would come as a real shock if Milwaukee managed to sign Moncada. Similarly, Heyman wonders if San Diego has the money to muscle past their large market rivals.

It sounds like we should know early this week where Moncada is headed. Somewhat in the same way that its fun to picture how you are going spend your Powerball winnings right before the actual drawing causes hard reality to set in, it's fun to envision Moncada as a future Brewers superstar.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Here's an interesting quote from Joel Sherman in the NY Post:

In fact, the strong vibe I have received from the Yankees is it is too much risk for a player who might be two years from the majors...

Nevertheless, as long as Yankees evaluators believe he has a chance to be an All-Star or better — the little bit that has crept out about their thinking is that they really like this young Cuban — then they have to take the gamble.

The last phrase about taking the gamble I believe is Sherman's thinking not the Yankees. After ripping the guy about an earlier article, I thought he did a nice job of arguing that they should spend even up to 100 million to sign him.

Also, maybe 2 years from the majors? Is his contract going to be minors time plus 6 years in the majors or just a 6 year contract?

Formerly AKA Pete

Also, maybe 2 years from the majors? Is his contract going to be minors time plus 6 years in the majors or just a 6 year contract?

It can't be a major league contract, so my understanding is that he will be signed as an amateur free agent. He will get a huge signing bonus ($20-40M), but then will be on the same timeline as any other drafted player. 6 years of team control once he reaches the majors, including 3-4 arbitration-eligible years.

One interesting consideration here is that a huge payroll team like the Yankees doesn't need to spend this much on a prospect, because they can outbid any team when a proven MVP-caliber 2B/3B hits free agency. Even though it's a lot of money, in a way it's a small market team play because the only way a team like the Brewers can get 6 years of an elite talent is to gamble $80M (for a guy who would normally cost $200M if Moncada is as advertised and became a free agent after proving himself).

It can't be a major league contract, so my understanding is that he will be signed as an amateur free agent. He will get a huge signing bonus ($20-40M), but then will be on the same timeline as any other drafted player. 6 years of team control once he reaches the majors, including 3-4 arbitration-eligible years.

One interesting consideration here is that a huge payroll team like the Yankees doesn't need to spend this much on a prospect, because they can outbid any team when a proven MVP-caliber 2B/3B hits free agency. Even though it's a lot of money, in a way it's a small market team play because the only way a team like the Brewers can get 6 years of an elite talent is to gamble $80M (for a guy who would normally cost $200M if Moncada is as advertised and became a free agent after proving himself).

If Sherman isn't full of crap, that would explain why Milwaukee is so connected to Moncada...because there is an actual shot of getting him if the Yankees back off in favor of free agents.

Let us compare him to that 1st baseman we missed out on. Seems we bid $60 mill and he signed for, what, $65 mill. That irks me that we keep running 2nd. It seems we are always used as a benchmark. They get our number, then go to the team they REALLY want and tell them 'the Brewers will pay X, so you need to 10% better it'.

Oddly the only 'superstar' in recent memory we signed long term was Braun. And I think HE knew that he better sign long term, because...

I just dont know how you turn around the 'feel' of the Brewers so big time guys will like to be here long term. And, unfortunately, 2014 was just a re-iteration of the Crew being a good retirement home for fading guys - because you get your salary, and it does not really matter what you do. I sure wish this place would change.

The Red Sox had him talk with Luis Tiant and the Yankees countered with El Duque. [sarcasm]Maybe Yuni B. can put in a good word for the Brewers?[/sarcasm]

According to the New York Post there may be a catch with signing Moncada.

Yoan Moncada likely will sign with the team that offers the most money.

However, there is a catch to landing the 19-year-old, switch-hitting Cuban second baseman: Carlos Mesa.

According to people with knowledge of the situation, Moncada wants his future team to sign his mentor, a 27-year-old outfielder who played in Cuba for two years as a teenager, was inactive for three seasons, spent three years in the lower levels of the Pirates system and last season worked for Camden (Independent League).

“You might have to keep [Mesa] around to help him,’’ a source said.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I will still be happy if DM can get one of the other Cuban guys; Alvarez is the one I would go after. Can't sign until July though (Like Lara last year).

$60 Million is such a huge number to fork over for a 19 year old kid. That he can get $30 Million and high 1st round picks are limited to what they can get at the same age seems pretty unfair.

Yoan Moncada IS DEAD TO ME.

Why would you sign with the team that has an MVP 2B, and just signed TWO All-Star 3Bs. What a dunce. I guess he is trade bait now? Because Sandival/Ramirez probably untradeable...

I hope a few years from now, when Moncada is wandering around RF as a journeyman fourth OF (because he never learned to play 2B/3B), his team meets the Brewers in the playoffs, and with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Gilbert Lara steps to the plate as the winning run and hits a long fly ball to RF, and it Canseco-bounces off Moncada's fat head and over the wall, and the Brewers win, and twenty years later it becomes the defining moment of infamous flop Yoan Moncada's career.

Why would you sign with the team that has an MVP 2B, and just signed TWO All-Star 3Bs. What a dunce. I guess he is trade bait now? Because Sandival/Ramirez probably untradeable...

I hope a few years from now, when Moncada is wandering around RF as a journeyman fourth OF (because he never learned to play 2B/3B), his team meets the Brewers in the playoffs, and with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, Gilbert Lara steps to the plate as the winning run and hits a long fly ball to RF, and it Canseco-bounces off Moncada's fat head and over the wall, and the Brewers win, and twenty years later it becomes the defining moment of infamous flop Yoan Moncada's career.

Over react much? As if the Brewers had any shot at signing him.

Over react much? As if the Brewers had any shot at signing him.

[sarcasm]Jerichoholicninja, I hope you're in the front row during the infamous Moncada head-bounce, and I hope the ball knocks a full beer right out of your hands[/sarcasm]

Major take away is the Brewers were considered nationally in the race for him. They were in the race for Abreu last year. So while close but no cigar yet, we are starting to make a push in the right direction. To bad they wasted so many years when they got ride of the DSL and tried to push these kids to America before most were ready.

Saved money, find another Lara this year and make another splash! Vlad Guerrero Jr I think is available this year and is suppose to be a absolute beast...get it done!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Major take away is the Brewers were considered nationally in the race for him. They were in the race for Abreu last year. So while close but no cigar yet, we are starting to make a push in the right direction. To bad they wasted so many years when they got ride of the DSL and tried to push these kids to America before most were ready.

Saved money, find another Lara this year and make another splash! Vlad Guerrero Jr I think is available this year and is suppose to be a absolute beast...get it done!

VG Jr is said to be signing with Toronto when he's eligible to sign.

Archived