Brewer Fanatic

now any relievers?

Do we need two lefties in the pen? I guess it makes sense since we have teams like the Cubs that will have matchup lefties all over the place for our rotation full of RH starters, but we've got Smith as the LOOGY. Another one is probably necessary, though.

2 lefties are a necessity in the modern day bullpen. The game is all matchup based that you have to have em.

@WiscoSportsNut

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the status of Thornburg and Henderson? If we can get those two back, I really like our bullpen. I'd be interested in bringing in Rafael Soriano.

Soriano will eat up most of the $9M we saved by trading Gallardo. I would prefer adding multiple players such as Chamberlain ($3M), Ogando ($2M), Thatcher ($1M) and Beachy ($3M) instead of placing all of our eggs in one basket.

Pick from the rest:

Knebel (who we got in the Gallardo deal)

Wooten

Ariel Pena (out of options, but not sure how is arm is doing)

Blazek (out of options)

Anyone you sign to a minor league deal

Pena was removed from the 40 man so he is Brewers property and doesn't have to be optioned. Blazek has one option left.

I wish they just had a role that consisted of all of the relievers "best guy in this situation to get the hitter(s) out" for the 8th inning (and even 9th IMO). Things like not platooning Gennett and making Smith the "8th inning guy" might cost this team several games, which are huge in a closely-contended division.

Of course, the season hasn't started. My gears are grinding at the possibility but I'll patiently wait until it happens/doesn't happen.

Ah yes, the classic BGITSTGTHOy.

(but seriously, I agree with you 100% & I think we should just bring back "Fireman" as the term)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Just waiting for K-Rod to be re-signed at this point...

None of us would be shocked that's for certain. Apparently the big raise Boras has been holding out for isn't materializing. Hard to hide those 14 HR allowed in 68 innings. Wouldn't doubt that Brewers have given him a standing offer around $4.5 to $5 million.

Wouldn't doubt that Brewers have given him a standing offer around $4.5 to $5 million.

I really wouldn't complain about that signing if it happens. He's been pretty effective for us the past several seasons.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

None of us would be shocked that's for certain. Apparently the big raise Boras has been holding out for isn't materializing. Hard to hide those 14 HR allowed in 68 innings. Wouldn't doubt that Brewers have given him a standing offer around $4.5 to $5 million.

At this price he would be worth bringing back. I would also like to see Chamberlain and another proven lefty like Thatcher or Cotts signed. IMO this would make the Gallardo trade even better.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm betting it happens as well. The club's familiarity with K-Rod (and his expressed comfort level in Milwaukee) make him an obvious fit. I guess the big question is how much. I'm thinking (like others) around $5 million - maybe some incentives.

Melvin said today that they won't be adding a starter like Shields but are looking at another reliever or two. The article mentions Krod and Soriano. Really wish Joba was in the mix.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Melvin said today that they won't be adding a starter like Shields but are looking at another reliever or two. The article mentions Krod and Soriano. Really wish Joba was in the mix.

The words that come out of Melvin's mouth are pretty much worthless. There was zero talk about trading Gallardo or any starter and then all of a sudden he was gone.

The words that come out of Melvin's mouth are pretty much worthless. There was zero talk about trading Gallardo or any starter and then all of a sudden he was gone.

This actually isn't the case. There's been numerous reports of the Brewers shopping Yovani and/or Lohse from a few months ago. Your point of don't rely entirely on what DM says in interviews during times of FA signings/deadlines is completely accurate. He is a wizard of saying a lot in interviews without saying anything at all.

If he's cheap enough, I'd be good with signing Soriano to be our closer or 8th inning guy... He's been good in Washington the past couple seasons.

However, with that said... I would still prefer to get Joba and another lefty with the extra money.

Archived