Brewer Fanatic

now any relievers?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My feeling is we need to get the best lefty we can get, for a two year contract. Next year, I think Smith should be in the rotation after Lohse leaves. For righties the new guy from Texas is a back end power reliever. So we really only need ONE of Henderson and Thornburg to come back OK and re 'power righties' we should be ok.

Joba and Maholm.

Brewers have had success turning ex-Pirate lefty starters into useful bullpen arms. Maholm didn't have great success out of Dodger pen last year but he did go 27 innings of relief without allowing a HR and that was really his first taste of relieving. He brings the added bonus of being a guy who could fill in to start if needed and he's a buy low guy. They'd need to keep his locker away from Gomez though!

Joba was a reasonably effective workhorse for Detroit last year.

These are the left handed relievers still available.

Joe Beimel (38)

Sean Burnett (32)

Phil Coke (32)

Neal Cotts (35)

David Huff (30)

Franklin Morales (29)

Joe Thatcher (33)

Burnett, if healthy, would be my top choice followed by Cotts and Beimel. Morales would be a good swingman option.

I would also like them to add another back end starter for depth. Maholm, Hernandez, Chen, Correia and Saunders all come to mind. If we are looking for more of a low risk, high reward guy, Beachy, Ogando and Billingsley are all options.

While Joba is a decent piece for a real impact I would look into dealing for Kimbrel. The Royals lock down bullpen is what carried them to within a game of a World Championship and Kimbrel's still the best around. Yes he would come with a cost in prospects, but they can turn around and deal him in a year or two and still get a haul back. His contract isn't that onerous (same salary this year as Broxton) and after this year Broxton will come off the books. We're talking the best closer the game who's still only 26.

I think Alexi Ogando is a perfect addition if healthy. He could be anything from a setup reliever to a long reliever to a #3 starter. I like Joba as a setup reliever as well.

I also like Joe Thatcher as a LOOGY. He misses bats and that's all I want my Loogy to do. I don't want them pitching to contact like Joe Beimel.

@WiscoSportsNut

There were a lot of other teams with lock-down bullpens that didn't even get into the playoffs. The 3rd worst bullpen in the league according to this in the regular season won the World Series.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2014&month=0&season1=2014&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Point is: I'd love a good bullpen. If you get to the playoffs and if your bullpen is locked in, it is a massive advantage for you. Problem is, if you have limited resources devote money and prospects to it, you may not be a good 162 game team. You could also strengthen your bullpen at the trade deadline. The Royals had it all go right for them last year, so while it is something to learn from, I wouldn't over-compensate.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think I'd go with Joba, but I bet the club brings back K-Rod. Joba would be cheaper, and I'm terrified of K-Rod after he gave up 14 HR last season, but I think K-Rod will come back on a reasonable deal because he knows he'll be the closer. Just a guess.

Then add in a left reliever, and maybe a minor league invite type player (such as what we did with Duke last year), and I think the team is done in the bullpen department.

That would leave us with a lot of questions, but a lot of options. I can live with that.

Probably locks:

K-Rod or Joba (or some other free agent)

Broxton

Jeffress

Kintzler

Smith

Lefty reliever

Probably locks if healthy:

Henderson

Thornburg (could be shifted back to the rotation)

Pick from the rest:

Knebel (who we got in the Gallardo deal)

Wooten

Ariel Pena (out of options, but not sure how is arm is doing)

Blazek (out of options)

Anyone you sign to a minor league deal

Potential sleepers who could contribute at some point during the season:

Goforth

Strong

Hellweg (coming back from TJ surgery)

I want Joba, bad. He could make a big difference. A ground baller in our park would be huge.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They are kicking the tires on Johan ... given this stage in his career would he accept a Gorzo type position as a lefty reliever who is in line to get starts if we suffer any injuries? Is that silly talk?

I don't think he can expect much more than that.

@WiscoSportsNut

They are kicking the tires on Johan ... given this stage in his career would he accept a Gorzo type position as a lefty reliever who is in line to get starts if we suffer any injuries? Is that silly talk?

I don't think he can expect much more than that.

so then the next question is would WE accept that?

Do we need two lefties in the pen? I guess it makes sense since we have teams like the Cubs that will have matchup lefties all over the place for our rotation full of RH starters, but we've got Smith as the LOOGY. Another one is probably necessary, though.

Since Will Smith is slated to be our set up guy, we will need another lefthander to hold down the LOOGY role. Maholm makes sense since he adds a veteran who can spot start when needed. Chen and Morales would be some additional left handed options who could fill the swingman role.

Do we need two lefties in the pen? I guess it makes sense since we have teams like the Cubs that will have matchup lefties all over the place for our rotation full of RH starters, but we've got Smith as the LOOGY. Another one is probably necessary, though.

Since Will Smith is slated to be our set up guy, we will need another lefthander to hold down the LOOGY role. Maholm makes sense since he adds a veteran who can spot start when needed. Chen and Morales would be some additional left handed options who could fill the swingman role.

I know that Smith got tired last year and was good against both hands early, but making him the "8th inning guy" is more backwards 1970s baseball strategy from our manager. A guy that allowed right-handed hitters collectively to be better than Jonathan Lucroy on the whole (.872 OPS (Lucroy was .837)) should not blindly be placed in just because it's the 8th inning so that we can find out in June that he just doesn't belong pitching against a large sample of RH hitters.

We should take note from well-managed teams like the Rays and A's. Don't try to wish away a player's weaknesses, utilize his strengths and find somebody else to play at his weak points.

I know that Smith got tired last year and was good against both hands early, but making him the "8th inning guy" is more backwards 1970s baseball strategy from our manager. A guy that allowed right-handed hitters collectively to be better than Jonathan Lucroy on the whole (.872 OPS (Lucroy was .837)) should not blindly be placed in just because it's the 8th inning so that we can find out in June that he just doesn't belong pitching against a large sample of RH hitters.

We should take note from well-managed teams like the Rays and A's. Don't try to wish away a player's weaknesses, utilize his strengths and find somebody else to play at his weak points.

I agree Smith should not be counted on to handle the set up role this season but that doesn't mean DM and RR believe the same. Chamberlain would be the perfect addition to solidify the back end of our bullpen.

I wish they just had a role that consisted of all of the relievers "best guy in this situation to get the hitter(s) out" for the 8th inning (and even 9th IMO). Things like not platooning Gennett and making Smith the "8th inning guy" might cost this team several games, which are huge in a closely-contended division.

Of course, the season hasn't started. My gears are grinding at the possibility but I'll patiently wait until it happens/doesn't happen.

Archived