Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo to the Rangers for IF Luis Sardiñas, RHP Corey Knebel, & RHP Marcos Diplan [lead post includes in-thread links to video & scouting reports]

jwill535
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that puts the 40-man at 41. knebel and sardinas were on the rangers' 40-man roster.

Sardinas could easily displace Luis Jimenez imo.

So, does Sardinas play 2B against LHP? Or push Segura to 2B and fill in at SS

I'm guessing Sardinas can be a super Platoon mate for both Gennett vs LHP and Segura vs RHP. He'd just replace the positions they play.

i hate that we are paying $4million to them.

I don't whatsoever. To get Diplan a 1.3mil international prospect that was what? top 4 in 2013 via rankings? And meanwhile you add Kneble to the bullpen which is better than a 3mil retread as he'll just cost 500k.

This appears to be a nice haul. Even from the Rangers perspective:

http://www.lonestarball.com/2015/1/19/7854401/yovani-gallardo-texas-ranger-brewers-get-sardinas-knebel-and-diplan

"...This is a bigger haul for Milwaukee than I would have expected. Sardinas is a guy who you figured was likely to go in a deal for pitching this winter, but giving up both him and Knebel, a fairly well regarded relief prospect, with Diplan included in the mix, is more than I would have thought Texas would part with; however, the Brewers are apparently sending cash to the Rangers as part of this deal, which helps explain why the prospect package is better than you would have thought. ..."

This is a HR deal for Milw.!!! Diplan was one of the young prospects I was suggesting we could hit one if we dealt for. They got their Super Switch-hitting utility, and filled in a big Bullpen piece for this year while doing so. The team is still 8mil richer after this trade.

Kinda laugh at the Ranger fans saying we need to eat salary. If we have to eat salary I see no point in trading Yo...he's our longtime "prized" pitcher and its not even a terrible salary. Melvin usually makes out like a bandit in trades so I think he will probably do well here too.

Ya I'm going to have to disagree with that bolded portion.

#1) CC Sabathia for LaPorta (zero), Rob Bryson (zero), Zach Jackson (total zero), and Brantley (Good player)

--> Trade nets Brewers first postseason berth in 26 years

#2) Shaun Marcum for Brett Lawrie, who is still unproven.

--> Marcum was serviceable (~3.6ERA 1.15WHIP) until injuries did him in.

#3) Zack Greinke for Alcides Escobar (meh), Lorenzo Cain (league average OF), Odorizzi (jury still out), and Jeremy Jeffress, who is now back on the team

--> Greinke again led the Brewers to the postseason, not far from a World Series

#4) Zack Greinke traded for Jean Segura, Hellweg(unproven), Pena(bullpen piece?)

--> Jury out on Segura, but we got a young controllable talent who has flashed big upside, and two boom/bust prospects.

I'm sure I am missing something, but what would you be disagreeing with?

You forgot Gomez for Hardy....:)

Diplan, 18, was 7-2 with a 1.54 ERA in 64 1/3 innings in the Dominican Republic summer league. It was his first season as a professional.

Those numbers are great. You forgot to post that in 64 1/3 ip he only allowed 32hits! That's .5 an IP. He could become a SP or be a strong throwing RP due to his height. Either way this is a great international get by Milw. (Diplan was ranked #8 in 2013 for international signing period via MLB)

I haven't read the whole thread, but here are some reports on the players included in this trade from BP and PG:

Sardinas from the 2009 PG National Showcase:

Luis Sardinas is a free agent SS with a 6'0'', 150 lb. frame from Puerto Ordan, Venezuela who attends Zulai HS. Very lean, loose build. Very easy infield actions, glides effortlessly, very loose sure hands, quick release charging, arm strength presently short. Switch-hitter, busy load, run and slash swing, short to ball, good extension out front, handles the bat head, quick out of box, battled hard vs. Jameson Taillon.

BP report on Rangers top prospects after 2012 season:

5. Luis Sardinas

Position: SS

DOB: 05/16/1993

Height/Weight: 6’1’’ 150 lbs.

Bats/Throws: B/R

Drafted/Acquired: International free agent, 2009, Venezuela

2012 Stats: .291/.346/.356 at Low-A Hickory (96 games)

The Tools: 6+ potential hit; 6 arm; 7 glove; 7 run

What Happened in 2012: Finally healthy, Sardinas started to live up to his amateur hype, advancing to a full-season level and finishing the year as one of the youngest prospects in the Arizona Fall League.

Strengths: Very good athlete; shows a fluid swing from both sides of the plate; very contact oriented, but good bat speed and line-drive ability; hit tool has easy plus potential; 7 run; true shortstop; plus glove, with ultra smooth actions; plus arm; plus overall profile at position.

Weaknesses: Has had trouble staying on the field; slight frame/narrow; has been unable to add much weight/strength to frame; left-handed swing is more slappy/produces less punch; might be empty average hitter.

Overall Future Potential: 6; first-division player

Explanation of Risk: High risk; injury history with both shoulders; limited professional record.

Fantasy Future: Has the potential to hit for a high average and steal bases; profiles as a true shortstop at the highest level.

The Year Ahead: It often gets forgotten that Sardinas has an even better defensive profile than fellow J2 classmate Jurickson Profar, with slick actions and a very strong arm. He’s been sidetracked with assorted injuries, but a healthy Sardinas is a serious player and he could be ready for another step forward in 2013. People will pay to watch this kid pick it at short, and if he can add some much needed strength and stability to his frame, his easy and fluid swing can pack a little more punch and give him another dimension at the plate.

Major league ETA: 2015

From BP after 2013 season:

4. Luis Sardinas

Position: SS

DOB: 05/19/1993

Height/Weight: 6’1” 150 lbs.

Bats/Throws: B/R

Drafted/Acquired: International free agent, 2009, Venezuela

Previous Ranking: #5 (Org), #86 (Top 101)

2013 Stats: .259/.286/.311 at Double-A Frisco (29 games), .298/.358/.360 at High-A Myrtle Beach (97 games)

The Tools: 7 run; 6 arm; 6 glove; 6 potential hit

What Happened in 2013: After several years of developmental setbacks and struggles, Sardinas was finally able to build on a strong season with another strong season, finishing the year in Double-A and flashing all the tools that made him one of the premier signings back in 2009.

Strengths: Slick defender at shortstop; arm is easy plus; actions are smooth and easy; impact potential; run is plus-plus; contact ability from both sides of the plate; excellent bat-to-ball ability; good plan of attack at the plate.

Weaknesses: Limited physical projection (strength); narrow hips/shoulders; injury history leads to durability concerns; well below-average power; slick defender, but lack of focus can lead to casual errors; work ethic and intensity have been questioned.

Overall Future Potential: 6; first-division player

Realistic Role: Low 5; second-division player/utility

Risk Factor/Injury History: Moderate risk; injuries to both shoulders on resume

Bret Sayre’s Fantasy Take: The speed is the distinguishing factor here, but despite a strong fantasy profile, his lack of any semblance of pop (four homers in 262 career minor-league games) will keep a bit of an anchor on his upside. He’s also slightly team dependent as his profile is way more valuable at the top of a lineup than the bottom.

The Year Ahead: Sardinas held his own in his 29-game Double-A sample, and a return trip to the level will answer more questions about the overall quality of his bat. Based on conversations with other teams, Sardinas is a highly coveted prospect, mostly on the back of his legit plus defensive profile at short. Add to the mix his plus-plus speed and his contact ability from both sides of the plate and you get a promising player, one who could become a 1980s throwback type, a la Tony Fernandez.

Major league ETA: 2015

Sardinas, PG Before They Were Pros series:

Rougned Odor – 2B, Luis Sardinas – SS

Every year a handful of top international prospects make it to the States to play in select Perfect Game events and further showcase themselves to the scouting community. In 2009, young Venezuelan infielders Rougned Odor and Luis Sardinas were among them. Each played at the 2009 Perfect Game National Showcase and Odor stayed around to play in the WWBA 17u and 18u National Championships as well.

Sardinas had turned 17-years-old in May and his age fit squarely into the 2010 draft class he was playing with at the Metrodome. Odor was eight months younger, though, and would have been a member of the 2011 class if he attended a high school in the United States.

Despite the age difference, Odor was clearly the more polished player at the time both offensively and defensively. His lefthanded bat and his overall skills stood out more than his athleticism. Here is the report filed after the National Showcase:

Left handed hitter, straight stance, good balance, busy hands, simple swing approach, good bat speed, smooth extension out front, line drive plane, squares it up well, hard contact, gap power. Smooth and easy infield actions, quick first step, works through the ball well, charges aggressively, good arm strength with carry, footwork still developing. Nice looking young athlete with skills.

The PG scout notes from the 17u and 18u National Championships were just as enthusiastic:

Can really play defense, strong arm, great actions at SS, aggressive hitter, quick hands, some pop, good balance and patience, big prospect if he gets stronger

Sardinas had a very slender and physically immature build at 6-foot, 150-pounds. He ran a 6.83 sixty and had a slashing swing from the left side that got him out of the box quickly enough to run a 3.96-second home-to-first time. His righthanded swing had more strength to it at that time, although his highlight of the showcase might have been squarely lining a 95 mph fastball from Jameson Taillon up the middle for a hit.

Sardinas’ easy middle infield actions also stood out. Here is his report from the National:

Very lean, loose build. Very easy infield actions, glides effortlessly, very loose sure hands, quick release charging, arm strength presently short. Switch-hitter, busy load, run and slash swing, short to ball, good extension out front, handles the bat head, quick out of box, battled hard vs. Jameson Taillon.

In retrospect, and looking at just their showings in the United States, Odor looked like the better prospect at the time. He wasn’t the defender at shortstop that Sardinas was, but he still was a middle infield athlete with skills. His bat however, was better than Sardinas', and he had a quiet maturity to his game that was easy to notice. Sardinas had the build and athleticism to project and dream on but had further to go despite being the older player.

At the time the Rangers clearly thought Sardinas the better prospect and signed him for a $1.5 million bonus. Odor signed his first professional contract for a relatively modest $425,000. Both look like very sound investments today. – David Rawnsley

Knebel BP report after 2013 season:

5. Corey Knebel

Position: RHP

DOB: 11/26/1991

Height/Weight: 6’3” 195 lbs

Bats/Throws: R/R

Drafted/Acquired: 1st round, 2013 draft, University of Texas at Austin (Austin, TX)

Previous Ranking: NA

2013 Stats: 0.87 ERA (31 IP, 14 H, 41 K, 10 BB) at Low-A West Michigan

The Tools: 7 FB; 7 potential CB

What Happened in 2013: Knebel wasted little time after signing, shoving in the Midwest League before making a nine-game cameo in the Arizona Fall League.

Strengths: Big fastball; delivered on steep plane; velocity works easy in the 93-97 range; power pitch; hard curve can be true hammer; thrown in the low 80s with big snap and depth; can turn over decent cambio; late-innings approach/mentality.

Weaknesses: Makeup concerns; emotions can get the better of him; fastball lacks big movement; can flatten out when he works up; more control than command.

Overall Future Potential: High 5; late-innings reliever (closer)

Realistic Role: 5; late-innings reliever (setup)

Risk Factor/Injury History: Low risk; mature arsenal

Bret Sayre’s Fantasy Take: The leader in the clubhouse for Tigers’ closer of the future, Knebel could be an impact reliever at the major-league level and soon. The slider should keep him racking up strikeouts, but with his value being so role dependent (and the Tigers’ willingness to reach outside the organization to fill the closer role), he shouldn’t be high up on your dynasty draft boards.

The Year Ahead: Knebel is a natural late-innings arm, with a power arsenal and aggressive approach to execution. The makeup should be a legit concern, as immaturity has been a red flag since his college days. But the stuff is there to develop into a major-league caliber closer, and if he can channel his emotions without losing the intensity he brings to the table, he could move fast and contribute to the major-league team in 2014.

Major league ETA: Late 2014

PG Knebel pre-draft report in 2013:

50. COREY KNEBEL, rhp, University of Texas (Jr.)

It’s very possible to follow the greater fortunes of the Texas Longhorns baseball program by looking at the snapshot of their closer and top prospect, Corey Knebel. In 2011, the Longhorns went 49-19 and Knebel was the best reliever in the country as a freshman, going 3-2, 1.13 with 19 saves, only allowing 40 baserunners in 55 innings while being used in an expanded traditional closer’s role. In 2012, with Texas fighting weekly to earn a NCAA tournament berth, Knebel was ridden hard, going 4-5, 2.08, with 7 saves while throwing an eye opening 73 innings, and he even started three games. In 2013, with Texas struggling to a 22-20 record and an NCAA berth increasingly less likely, Knebel has thrown only 36 innings, going 3-3, 2.75, with 7 saves, while striking out 46 hitters and allowing only 24 hits. Moving on from the team aspect, Knebel has solidified his draft standing among the scouting community this spring and could be a first round pick to a team that is looking for immediate return on their investment. His fastball has generally stayed in the 94-98 mph range all spring, with a powerful low-80s curveball that is a plus secondary pitch. While there has been past speculation that Knebel could develop as a starter if given a chance, despite his somewhat high effort delivery, the reason that most scouts don’t go in that direction is because Knebel simply has a closer’s mindset, with no fear of any situation and a hunger to get the ball every day possible.

I love love love this trade for Yovani Gallardo. :)

I realize some on here are not as enamored with Sardinas, but if you read the more optimistic scouting reports I think we could look back on this trade as an absolute steal. He is 21 and has a lot of room to develop. Certainly wasn't expecting a potential MLB-caliber SS plus two other solid prospects for a likely 4+ ERA pitcher like Gallardo.

I love love love this trade for Yovani Gallardo. :)

I realize some on here are not as enamored with Sardinas, but if you read the more optimistic scouting reports I think we could look back on this trade as an absolute steal. He is 21 and has a lot of room to develop. Certainly wasn't expecting a potential MLB-caliber SS plus two other solid prospects for a likely 4+ ERA pitcher like Gallardo.

Melvin sucks at trading...surely you are wrong on your assessment. :ohwell

Certainly wasn't expecting a potential MLB-caliber SS plus two other solid prospects for a likely 4+ ERA pitcher like Gallardo.

How are you arriving at the conclusion he is likely to be a 4+ERA pitcher?

Arlington

Probably a decent deal though obviously it's too early to tell. Personally I'd prefer they sign a veteran utility guy and let Sardinas start off in AAA. He was young for his leagues last year and it looks as though he needs to work on getting on base. Knebel could be a nice bullpen arm for years to come. Diplan is a good upside arm. It looks like he gave up more walks than hits in his 64 innings last season though and he needs to work on his command.

I'm sure I am missing something, but what would you be disagreeing with?

Not to get too far off topic but I think we're about one season away from having the Greinke to Anaheim deal being a complete bust. Hellweg showed zero ability to throw strikes and then went down and needed TJ surgery. Pena at best is a middle inning reliever and even that is not a for sure yet. And I'd guess that if the club was confident with Segura they wouldn't have traded for Sardinas. I have to think Sardinas is as much insurance for Segura as he is a platoon guy for Scooter. Meanwhile to prospect Melvin didn't get, Richards, had an amazing year last season before he got hurt.

Also, I think Melvin got hosed in the Carlos Lee deal.

Certainly wasn't expecting a potential MLB-caliber SS plus two other solid prospects for a likely 4+ ERA pitcher like Gallardo.

How are you arriving at the conclusion he is likely to be a 4+ERA pitcher?

He was a 4+ ERA pitcher in 2013, his peripherals only got worse last season, he's another year older, he's moving to the AL and Texas. He's been a 3.90+ FIP pitcher for three seasons now.

I think Sardinas will be the everyday starting SS by 2016, and not necessarily just because Segura continues to stink. We may have a Sardinas-Segura infield in the future (Segura started out at 2B, after all). If you platoon him, Scooter hits well enough to play 3B. Lots of interesting options if things pan out.

that puts the 40-man at 41. knebel and sardinas were on the rangers' 40-man roster.

Sardinas could easily displace Luis Jimenez imo.

you'd put hunter morris ahead of luis jimenez on the depth chart--knowing you'd still have matt clark and jason rogers on the 40-man? i think hunter morris will be outrighted.

Archived