Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo to the Rangers for IF Luis Sardiñas, RHP Corey Knebel, & RHP Marcos Diplan [lead post includes in-thread links to video & scouting reports]

jwill535
Yo

for

Ryan Rua, Luis Sardinas, and Martin Perez (medical).

Is this a guess? Or do you have some insider information? Seems like that would be a pretty decent trade.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MONDAY, 4:04pm: Gallardo has been informed that he’s been dealt to Texas, SB Nation’s Chris Cotillo was first to tweet. The return includes infielder Luis Sardinas, righty Corey Knebel, and righty Marcos Diplan, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

From baseball america in 2013:

Diplan, 16, is 5-foot-10, 160 pounds and has one of the best fastballs on the international market while also showing a curveball with good depth and a changeup that already flashes average. He played in the Dominican Prospect League and trains with former major league outfielder Luis Polonia.

Looks like he is the key to the deal, the other 2 don't do much to impress me

Scouting reports on Knebel:

Scouting grades: Fastball: 70 | Curveball: 65 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

Like Huston Street had done a decade earlier, Knebel went from an unheralded Texas prepster to an instant star as University of Texas closer to a supplemental first-round pick to a big leaguer less than a year after the Draft. Signed for $1,433,400 by the Tigers as the 39th overall choice in 2013, he became the second player from that draft -- behind only Kyle Crockett of the Indians -- when he made his debut on May 24. Two months later, Detroit traded him to the Rangers along with prospect Jake Thompson in exchange for Joakim Soria.

Knebel definitely has the weapons and competitive makeup with which to close games. His fastball ranges from 91-98 mph with tailing action, and he uses his height to throw it on a downhill plane. When he stays on top of his curveball, it can be just as nasty as his heater, arriving in the low 80s with sharp downward break.

There's some funkiness to Knebel's delivery, but it adds more deception than it detracts from his ability to throw strikes. He flashes a decent changeup, which had the Tigers initially considering trying him as a starter, but his future definitely is as a reliever.

Scouting report for Diplan:

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

Small right-handers usually don't command $1.3 million bonuses on the international market. But Diplan did exactly that last July as part of the Rangers' aggressive international push, because he combined stuff and polish like few 16-year-olds. The Dominican was the consensus top pitching prospect in the 2013 July 2 class.

Diplan has a loose quick arm that can deliver fastballs as hot as 96 mph, and he usually pitches around 90-91 mph at this point. Though he's not big, he has room to add strength and should have a consistently above-average heater once he fills out.

Diplan has a pair of promising secondary pitches, with his curveball showing more upside than his changeup. Though there's some effort in his delivery, he does a good job of throwing strikes. While he'll have to show he has the durability to remain a starter, he has the repertoire to succeed in that role.

Kinda laugh at the Ranger fans saying we need to eat salary. If we have to eat salary I see no point in trading Yo...he's our longtime "prized" pitcher and its not even a terrible salary. Melvin usually makes out like a bandit in trades so I think he will probably do well here too.

Ya I'm going to have to disagree with that bolded portion.

#1) CC Sabathia for LaPorta (zero), Rob Bryson (zero), Zach Jackson (total zero), and Brantley (Good player)

--> Trade nets Brewers first postseason berth in 26 years

#2) Shaun Marcum for Brett Lawrie, who is still unproven.

--> Marcum was serviceable (~3.6ERA 1.15WHIP) until injuries did him in.

#3) Zack Greinke for Alcides Escobar (meh), Lorenzo Cain (league average OF), Odorizzi (jury still out), and Jeremy Jeffress, who is now back on the team

--> Greinke again led the Brewers to the postseason, not far from a World Series

#4) Zack Greinke traded for Jean Segura, Hellweg(unproven), Pena(bullpen piece?)

--> Jury out on Segura, but we got a young controllable talent who has flashed big upside, and two boom/bust prospects.

I'm sure I am missing something, but what would you be disagreeing with?

Baseball America shows Diplin's Birthday as 9/18/96. If that's correct that would make him 18 (not 16).

Edit: Oh..sorry..didn't notice you guys were posting reports from 2013.

it appears that knebel and sardinas will enter 2015 spring training with two minor league options remaining.

sardinas had his contract purchased by texas on 20 november 2013, and was optioned in 2014. knebel had his contract purchased by detroit on 23 may 2014, and was optioned by both detroit and texas in 2014.

If this is true, this is a fantastic return on Yovanni. I was dreading AAAA types. Each of these guys have impact potential, sardinas to me could be a late bloomer in terms of the bat, but he has impact level tools.

Diplan could easily be our best SP by years end.

Do you mean best SP in the minors? I would be surprised if they moved an 18 yr old from rookie ball to the Majors in one year.

This appears to be a nice haul. Even from the Rangers perspective:

http://www.lonestarball.com/2015/1/19/7854401/yovani-gallardo-texas-ranger-brewers-get-sardinas-knebel-and-diplan

"...This is a bigger haul for Milwaukee than I would have expected. Sardinas is a guy who you figured was likely to go in a deal for pitching this winter, but giving up both him and Knebel, a fairly well regarded relief prospect, with Diplan included in the mix, is more than I would have thought Texas would part with; however, the Brewers are apparently sending cash to the Rangers as part of this deal, which helps explain why the prospect package is better than you would have thought. ..."

So, does Sardinas play 2B against LHP? Or push Segura to 2B and fill in at SS

I am on the side of the fence of letting Scooter play but I just don't see that happening. I will say, if you platoon Scooter with Sardinas, you better platoon Davis with Parra and just go all in on the platoon. Including the Lind platoon with Lucroy that we all know is going to happen.

CheezWizHead, I hope Sardinas is in AAA. His offense needs some work. He hits for a nice average, but that's really it. Scooter should play nearly every day, with Gomez spelling him occasionally.

This package is much better than expected. It's also much better than what most on here were looking for

Jeff Wilson ‏@JeffWilson_FWST 3m3 minutes ago

Brewers are paying $4 million of Yovani Gallardo's $13 million contract for 2015.

0 replies 48 retweets 12 favorites

Reply Retweet48 Favorite12

This still frees up $9M to spend on adding depth to our bullpen and bench. I wonder if DM is targeting K-Rod. Personally I would prefer spending on Chamberlain and a lefty like Cotts or Morales.

Archived