Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo to the Rangers for IF Luis Sardiñas, RHP Corey Knebel, & RHP Marcos Diplan [lead post includes in-thread links to video & scouting reports]

jwill535

It sounds like the Nats have no desire to break up their potentially historically elite rotation by trading Zimmermann. With the Phillies & Braves rebuilding, they ovbiously have their sights beyond just winning their division. I can't blame them.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/report-nationals-plan-to-keep-jordan-zimmermann/

Gruber Lawffices

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In a vacuum, would I love to see Fielder. I know I know he's older, he overpaid, "he's a former Brewer and that's all I am looking at." He's also a ton better than any 1B we have on the roster now. It just makes a ton of sense to me if they could put a package together that would include Texas throwing in money to fill that hole at 1B and not go in with Lind and whoever his platoon mate will be.

Prince is owed $144 million over the next 6 years from Texas. $30 million of that is being paid by Detroit, so the Rangers resposnibility is $114 over 6. If the Brewers could somehow coax say an additional $20 million from the Rangers and have Prince for 6 years @ $84 million, $14 million per year, I think that would be an excellent return for Gallardo.

I don't think this precludes the Brewers from making additional moves to secure other options like Zimmerman either. Fielder essentially replaces Gallardo's salary. With Ramirez and Lohse coming off the books after this season, a Zimmerman could slot nicely there. Understood that Braun's contract kicks up as well but that could be offset by removing Parra's salary after this year as well. Gomez I think will be dealt, maybe as part of a Zimmerman deal, so there may be no need to keep salary for him. Lucroy is my only concern but what I wouldn't give to see a middle of the order with Gomez-Lucroy-Fielder-Braun-Ramirez in 2015.

Not to jump on your math, but if you got 20 million out of the Rangers, that would leave the Brewers on the hook for 94 million.

The question you have to ask is this. If Fielder were previously NEVER a Brewer........would you sign him RIGHT NOW to a 94 million dollar contract?

I wouldn't.

The question you have to ask is this. If Fielder were previously NEVER a Brewer........would you sign him RIGHT NOW to a 94 million dollar contract?

If he could actually play first base maybe. As it is no. We got Lind for someone we may have non tendered. Over the last two years Lind out produced Fielder. While I think Fielder has the ability to be better than Lind it isn't guaranteed. After a season ending injury, not to mention a lot of miles on a body type not conducive for longevity to begin with, I have doubts if he will ever be the same guy he was in his prime. It could reasonably be argued Lind and a platoon mate could out produce Prince for a fraction of the cost.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Could the impending trade of Gallardo be to make room to add Craig Kimbrell in a deal with Atlanta? Kimbrel has $34 million guaranteed over the next 3 years but Atlanta's in full rebuild mode at this point even more so with Nats acquiring Scherzer.

We saw what a lockdown pen did for KC last year. Kimbrel would free up Broxton for 8th inning and leave 7th for Smith and Jeffress.

I don't think it will take much longer. Medical records will be faxed between teams and team doctors will look. It's a holiday right? Makes me think though that Martin Perez could be involved as his situation of coming off TJ surgery would require extra effort. It's not unprecedented for deals to be announced pending physicals though.

I don't think it will take much longer. Medical records will be faxed between teams and team doctors will look. It's a holiday right? Makes me think though that Martin Perez could be involved as his situation of coming off TJ surgery would require extra effort. It's not unprecedented for deals to be announced pending physicals though.

Medical folks are working today

That's what makes me think it's Neftali Feliz, who also recently agreed to his arbitration salary which would explain the overall timing of the trade. I certainly hope not though: injury-prone, declining stuff, overrated given his peripherals...

I feel like almost all of the big trades DM did a really good job hiding who was going where

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Medical folks are working today

I just threw that in there for some levity.

I'm also not a fan of the idea of trading for Zimmerman. I would prefer holding onto our players and just sign a top tier pitcher next offseason. There are plenty of options available. Price, Cueto, Zimmerman, Fister, Porcello, Samardzija, Latos and Kennedy all come to mind.

Definitely agree. Why trade a lot for Zimmerman now when you could sign him next year? And please don't forfeit pick 15 for Shields when there are 5-6 better options than him available next year on the FA market.

I wish this was a start of a mini firesale, with all the guys with all the short-term contract guys being shipped out. Gallardo, Lohse, Broxton, Garza, Lind, and if you really wanted to go big, Gomez could bring back a ton to restock the system (and you could do it was near-MLB ready guys, like Segura was).

Then you have cleared plenty of cash to sign one or two of those pitchers next year, and you have a young, cost-controlled core for many years.

Either keep Yo and go for it one last time with this group (but don't blow it on Zimmerman or Shields), or blow it all up. Don't go in between.

Better not be Prince. What a waste of money. Prince was already on a steep decline defensively before he left (though he has never been great to begin with) and now he's had a major injury on top of a offensive decline. Seriously guys? I loved Prince when he was here too...but that ship has sailed.

Also if BrewerNation is even remotely right about Nick Tepesch being the guy, this deal is just puzzling.

So we are getting Prince?

I don't believe any of the Summerfest headliners have been announced yet...and I'm not sure this is the proper thread to discuss that.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Better not be Prince. What a waste of money. Prince was already on a steep decline defensively before he left (though he has never been great to begin with) and now he's had a major injury on top of a offensive decline. Seriously guys? I loved Prince when he was here too...but that ship has sailed.

Also if BrewerNation is even remotely right about Nick Tepesch being the guy, this deal is just puzzling.

This ^ will piss me off to no end if he is in the deal or the centerpiece. Basically we're giving away our homegrown "ace" at the age of 28 for a piece of semi-hot garbage who is only 2 years younger?

I understand the return may not be great, but i'd rather keep Gallardo and even sign him again next year than get a guy like Tepesch. Thankfully Melvin has a history of getting great deals in trades so hopefully that isn't the case.

Kinda laugh at the Ranger fans saying we need to eat salary. If we have to eat salary I see no point in trading Yo...he's our longtime "prized" pitcher and its not even a terrible salary. Melvin usually makes out like a bandit in trades so I think he will probably do well here too.

Ya I'm going to have to disagree with that bolded portion.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived